MSD's and Scaffolding

paddy carr

Reaction score
A MSD is a Muscular strain disorder. Is scaffolding harming our health? In this day and age when you can be 'Sued' for almost anything.

The disorder occurs when the body part is called on to work harder, stretch farther, impact more directly or otherwise function at a greater level then it is prepared for. The immediate impact may be minute, but when it occurs repeatedly the constant trauma cause damage.

The term musculoskeletal disorder identifies a large group of conditions that result from traumatizing the body in either a minute or major way over a period of time. It is the build up of trauma that causes the disorder.

These conditions are often focused on a joint and affect the muscle and bone. However other areas can be strained .

I know for one, i will not be able to work till i am 66, scaffolding.

I am only 50 now, and every bit that is supposed to bend is
fucked.

Maybe, in years to come,this could be classed as a 'Industrial injury' like Vibration white Finger and Carpal tunnel syndrome.

Paddy M8

Very interesting post and I can relate to the subject matter, in these modern times is the Scaffolding Industry doing everything reasonably practicable to reduce and eliminate the Health issues which dog our Industry today.

Is there sufficient Health Surveys and Monitoring to identify the sources of these Industrial Injuries.

Garry...

The industry seems to be moving towards system scaffolding Cuplok & also Layer rather that the traditional tube & fitting, cant see how that will improve the muskoskeletal condition of all the future scaffs who are guna be banging away all day every day with a hammer on to system scaffold, maybe NASC or CISRS should lead the way and conduct some reserch into the long term effects on scaffs, maybe put a trigger time on the hammer that bangs the cuplok, cant see employers liking this idea but am sure the scaffs will especially if you get a flyer when you hit the trigger time limit

NASC brought out a Guidance sheet for Manual handling in the scaffolding industry, SG6:02 i think, however, what fecking use is that, if they wont even let bona fide compliant scaffold companies join. ffs i fell sorry for PW, great guy one of the founder members of the SF, is that why he was **** on???????? because of the SF.......?

Dave

Trigger time limit---ye why not it a valid point, and on the subject of System Scaffold, Alustar have studies the effects of both the impact of a hammer on the node point connection of the aluminium Alustar System and the effects of the noise ( TWA ) levels the Scaff is exposed to during a working day.

The control measures to reduce the impact and noise levels are;

A rubber composite incorporated on the Hammer Head, which reduces both the impact to the wrist and reduces the noise level, to further combat the noise level exposure a Time Weight Average exposure is recommended and ear defenders.

Garry...

The industry seems to be moving towards system scaffolding Cuplok & also Layer rather that the traditional tube & fitting, cant see how that will improve the muskoskeletal condition of all the future scaffs who are guna be banging away all day every day with a hammer on to system scaffold, maybe NASC or CISRS should lead the way and conduct some reserch into the long term effects on scaffs, maybe put a trigger time on the hammer that bangs the cuplok, cant see employers liking this idea but am sure the scaffs will especially if you get a flyer when you hit the trigger time limit

Feck the hammer mate, that just gets the once on the head, what about the twirling of the Spanner,dodgy fittings etc wrapping for a day and a half on a bag full of foreign doubles and singles which have been wound up to the shaft.

FFS Allan will be proud of me soon ranting left right and centre, must be the super strength viborg i got from the '****' shop.:eek:

Think we should patent it gary could turn out to be a real money spinner System hammer with built in trigger time and noise absorber, you could ditch your spanners and I could fu*k the clip board off, sounds good to me pal

Paddy M8

You know how long that Iv been fighting for a Powered Scaffolding Spanner to save us from twirling the Traditional Spanner and there is light at the end of the tunnel, I have been talking to the manufactures and there is a way forward, this provision will address the repetitive strain injuries and cumulative syndromes. It is a great pitty that the Scaffolding Industry and Associated Regulating Body has not acted on this point years ago, moreover, the H&SE could have done more to speed this process up and allowing it to be a reportable Industrial Injury.

As for the cheap and cheerful Asian and Chinese imported Sh!te, well thats for the Organisations to chose, however, yet, again the H&SE have failed to recognize that these imports are pre-coursers to Industrial incidents.

Garry...

best way to avoid injury with cupkoc is use a claw hammer instead of a podger , as long as u dont go crazy u wont break the cups !

do u not thinj it will take away alot of the heart and feeling of the game garry ? I love the feeling of tightening a bolt knowing that I KNOW ITS DONE RIGHT , maybe its too risky because if we use equipment the buck can be passed to a manafacturer rather than a hard workin man , there are always angles , for the good and the bad in this industry bud !

---------- Post added at 05:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 PM ----------

souds good mate !

21's

Iv had a Spanner in my hand since 72, next year will be 40 years in the game, that's a double life sentience in some countries LOLooo.

Sontering onto a job with the Elsie Tanners dangling from the belt is a feeling of great pride to me and ALL Scaffs. By using New Technologies I dont think that the heart and soul of the Scaffolder will be altered.

The days of the hard nosed Scaffolder that didnt give a feck for Man nor Beast is all but over---with the onset of Political and H&S Culture we must adapt to comply to the H&SE Directives---the evolution of Scaffolding Spanners is a natural course of events and anything that will comply to HaSaWA and Associated Regulations we will be obliged to comply with.

Making sure that the fitting is to its correct and Manufactures & B.S. alloted tightness can be achieved by the Manual Method, however, to mitigate against Human Error a Powered Torqued Scaffolding Spanner would be in compliance to B.S. 1139 and regiment the frictional stresses throughout the Scaffold Structure.

It all a matter of choice New Generation Powered Spanner = 99.999% Quality Assurance---Traditional Manual Method = 66% Quality Assurance.

Which one would an Insurance Company want to see being used ?.

Garry...

Paddy, I reckon you are one of the few guy's that could actually get a successful claim(not that you would). Theoretically most of us are a bit like industrial gypsies but you on the other hand have been with the same firm for years. If I was to try and bring a claim against any of my former employers for such an injury the question would inevitably be asked, "How do you know it was when you worked for us?

Come on lads we will be getting our hair and nails done next , whos gonna belive your a scaffolder if you dont look twice your age and cant get up once you sit down :laugh:

Come on lads we will be getting our hair and nails done next , whos gonna belive your a scaffolder if you dont look twice your age and cant get up once you sit down :laugh:

be nice to have some hair phill as for not getting up it has its benefits she does it for you lol!!!!

Paddy, I reckon you are one of the few guy's that could actually get a successful claim(not that you would). Theoretically most of us are a bit like industrial gypsies but you on the other hand have been with the same firm for years. If I was to try and bring a claim against any of my former employers for such an injury the question would inevitably be asked, "How do you know it was when you worked for us?

Isnt that how it worked for Pleaural plaques in Scotland though, we got overturned, however you have the right still. My Union UCATT is still trying to get us this right back.

So why cant this work for MSD,s in years to come.
Pleural plaques victims in Scotland regain right to claim compensation
OUT-LAW News, 12/03/2009

People in Scotland who were diagnosed with pleural plaques caused by negligent exposure to asbestos at work will be allowed to claim compensation under a law passed by the Scottish Parliament this week.

The Damages (Asbestos-related conditions) (Scotland) Bill effectively reverses a ruling of the House of Lords which said that such claims could not be brought. The judgment, although not binding in Scots law, would have had a strong influence on court decisions in Scotland.

Pleural plaques are small, localised areas of thickening on the membrane covering the lungs, caused by the inhalation of asbestos fibres. They are harmless and, in almost all cases, show no symptoms.

But because they are evidence that there has been some exposure to asbestos, pleural plaques also indicate an increased risk that the individual will develop an asbestos-related condition such as mesothelioma in the future. Many people who are diagnosed with pleural plaques become severely anxious that they will do so.

For over 20 years, such individuals have been able to claim damages from employers who negligently exposed them to asbestos at work. But in October 2007, the House of Lords found there was no legal basis for such claims.

The Law Lords ruled that it is a fundamental requirement of a negligence action that the negligence causes injury and the claimant suffers damage as a result. According to current medical knowledge, plaques are harmless, therefore there is no injury. Without physical injury, the risk of contracting a future disease and the claimant's anxiety are also not actionable claims.

Shortly after this judgment was handed down, the Scottish Government declared its intention to ensure the ruling would have no effect in Scotland.

The Bill passed by the Scottish Parliament on 11th March simply states that any rule of law that says asbestos-related pleural plaques do not constitute actionable harm "ceases to apply to the extent it has that effect".

When the new law comes into force (on a date to be confirmed) this provision will be treated as having always been in place. But the Bill specifically provides that it cannot be used to re-open previously settled claims or concluded litigation.

The UK Government, however, has still not announced what actions, if any, it proposes to take with regard to the law of England and Wales.

Last July, the Ministry of Justice expressed reservations about using legislation to overturn the House of Lords' decision but invited views on a number of options, including ways to improve public understanding about pleural plaques and setting up a "no fault" scheme to provide financial support. That consultation closed on 31st October 2008.

Announcing the new law, the Scottish Parliament's Minister for Community Safety Fergus Ewing said: "We have a moral duty to ensure that those who suffer the effects of asbestos due to our industrial past should be able to claim for damages."

"People with pleural plaques have been injured and have a significantly higher risk than the general population of developing mesothelioma, which is a particularly vicious cancer," said Ewing. "We cannot underestimate the anxiety that this brings to people affected by it or those living with them. I hope this action will bring some relief to those people who are living every day with this condition."

Nick Starling, Director of General Insurance and Health at the Association of British Insurers (ABI), called the Bill "fundamentally flawed".

"It ignores clear medical opinion that plaques are symptomless, and do not cause other asbestos-related conditions," he said. "And the full cost implications of this measure, which will be paid for by all Scottish taxpayers and firms, have been ignored. The Scottish Government has already admitted that its initial cost estimates were too low.

“This vote could have profound and unintended consequences beyond pleural plaques. It ignores the fundamental legal principle that compensation is paid only where there are physical symptoms, and could open the floodgates for claims from people exposed to a risk, but showing no symptoms,” said Starling.

A pretty comprehensive answer as alway's Paddy, not so sure it will cover aches and pains for the scaff's though. I am not disagreeing with you but I think that is a serious life threatening illness, my old man used to say hard work never killed anybody. I think he might have been mistaken but I wouldn't rush to blame the trade on stiff joints every body I know of a certain age is stiff regardless what they did for a living. The old father in law(dead and gone but not forgotten) was a hard living hard working fisherman who threw the old men out the road to haul the herring net's aboard on his own. Spent most of his last years bent double but if he was given his life over he would do the exact same thing again as he loved every minute of it. There was a young scaff from Edinburgh joined the other day asking the question will the trade cripple him, most answered yes and told him to slow down and take it easy, I felt he should enjoy his best years walking over the olduns and hope he mets a youngun like himself when his body no longer allows him to work as fast and hard as he would like. I am a regular to the chiropractor and blame no one but myself, but like the father in law it is just in me and I would do the same again if given the chance. I some times do cast an eye over to the few lucky older retired gents who have worked in a much safer environment and are still pretty spritely but the truth is I couldn't do it different even if I wanted to. Not everyone's choice I know but an honest assessment from an honest scaff.

Top Bottom