Mick Fenlon

I dont think iam above the Law Instructor , i think the law dont always get it right .
Who realistically is going to erect a platform to take a scaffold down thats 8 foot of the ground, not many i know. Real problem is people like to pretend they are all SG20 , when in fact they re not , how many lads wear there harness but never clip on ,i see it every day in London , but as long as they wear it its all rosy in the garden and just how many firms actually have a rescue plan that works and the rescue kit on site with trainned lads to use it .

---------- Post added at 04:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 PM ----------

Was the way i was trained as well mick , reebok trainners shorts and a belt , but that dont mean i dont agree with harnesses , i just dont see the need for the lad to have been wearing a harness at 8 foot high .

I started that way too, but if i did ever have a fatal accident at work ( touch wood ) then i would like to think that wearing all my sh1t just to make sure my family have a little compo for the future with out me was one of the brainier things I done in my life.

As I said, have done it myself in the past but now look back and think y? Really is not worth any risks as insurance companies will look at all possibilites not to pay out.

We all grow up at one point. (No offence workshy)

I see a mountain being made out of a molehill here.
Try and remember young workshy that there are many on here that preffer knitting and window twitching to having a wee carry on while earning your crust.
Half this mob would want a risk assesment written up for making a cup of tea.

In the shorts and trainers days we used to carry a harness in the bottom of one of our bags,whenever we where doing a truss out or dropper or anything a bit risky,out would come the harness,so even in those days we were'nt completley reckless,though it was never used in your bread and butter stuff,but we still knew when it was a good idea to harness up or not:cool:

I see a mountain being made out of a molehill here.
Try and remember young workshy that there are many on here that preffer knitting and window twitching to having a wee carry on while earning your crust.
Half this mob would want a risk assesment written up for making a cup of tea.

and remember workshop aprentice if you wana be one of the lads and get on dont put pictures on the forum your give most scaffolders a bad name lol!!! we all know the safety factors that need to be used at times!! but you ante never gana win on here coz its too bloody political

I was about to cross a busy road,but then i did my dynamic risk assesment and decided to go to the Traffic Lights.To my dismay the lights werent working so once again i did the dynamic risk assesment(as i do thousands of time during the working shift)and decided it was too risky and i just headed home.
better safe than sorry.
no wonder british industry is priced out of the market

Cmon Guys get a grip the guys working on a beam 8ft over a roof if he falls and hurts himself thats his own fault(probably a bit of bruising) I don't think he would DIE as what has been posted. This is getting beyond the joke, I'm all for a safe workplace but their has to be the correct balance between productivity and red tape, even the HSE has recognised this themselves, there are far too many job worths out there ready to jump on anybody's back just for the sake of it,Sent one of my lads on foundation course came blurting all kinds of HSE regs, I said what did you learn on scaffolding Nothing,

havent been on here for a couple of days. i'd like to ask instructer, how many lads are taught to rely soley on their harness' these days? i'd rather know im capable and have a harness as plan B rather than relying on it. health and safety is making us a nation of people who dont take responsibilty. if i'd have fallen and paralysed myself. its my fault. i didnt want to spend most of my time on a saturday morning with limited time (council restrictions) hooking on and off. as a general rule i wear my PPE, it annoys me but its the law like you said. i'm happy to learn the old school way for low height jobs where im 100% capable and comfortable. i know we're not living in the olden days, but like i said. im not going to learn to become reliant on a harness.

Totally agree with you Workshy but if you were caught like that on a lot of firms it would be bye bye.

---------- Post added at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 PM ----------

Scaffs don't clip on for their safety they clip on to keep their jobs.

I've not seen a scaffolder clip on since........ um.......

Harnesses to most are for display. When I've clipped on I've been asked "what are you doing?"

"Using me fecking harness"

I've worked like that myself many a time and to an extent I agree, it teaches you danger and to respect it. The day you loose respect for danger is the day it will punish you for it. I sometimes worry that we now work within such tight safety that we're going to get too relaxed and not appreciate that the job is still dangerous.

We did at job at Mcdonalds once cordoned off all under the work area. men working at height signs the lot. Still joe public still cuts through how many times would the Clipboard Cliff expect us to keep telling people to walk around whilst we try and get on with our job. Even the public have a duty to look after themselves the finger of blame has to start pointing at people themselves. If a scaffolder has been given harnesses etc and chooses not to wear them whilst the are working then thats there problem. Blame culture is why my insurance premium is so high, why I need to pay an hse adviser to tell me how not to run my company and which increase my overheads and helps my competitors out who dont give a sh1t.

Workshy the harness is the last resort (minimum requirement) just remember when the **** hits the fan you can count your friends on one hand. Just take care its your life and you only get one go at it

Top Bottom