Mick Fenlon

WORKSHY-APPRENTICE

Reaction score
i remember us having a convo about young lads. this is how i spent my saturday morning :blink1: jusy tryna show not all 19 year olds are bad lads :D

Attachments

• IMG-20120908-00054.jpg
    IMG-20120908-00054.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 156
andyf. i was only about 2.5m above the exisiting. i wouldnt do that if i was at any great height. the roof was only about 10m from the ground with a roof on either side.

naah thats one if mine mick. the great workshy-apprentice in action :D

Got a 41 year old mate who's been stuck in a wheelchair with no chance of ever getting out for over 20 years now. He said exactly the same thing & coincidently fell roughly the same height. Didn't get a penny in compensation in fact the HSE even mentioned prosecuting him for breaking the law!
Is it really worth it??? :wacko:

theres a few grasses on here expect a visit from the H SS E.
good on you anyway the making of a real Scaff

Got a 41 year old mate who's been stuck in a wheelchair with no chance of ever getting out for over 20 years now. He said exactly the same thing & coincidently fell roughly the same height. Didn't get a penny in compensation in fact the HSE even mentioned prosecuting him for breaking the law!
Is it really worth it??? :wacko:

The lad was 2.5 meters above a flat roof with no drop on any side Karlj , his harness has a 2 meter lanyard and he is about average height so he would hit the roof without the harness ever being deployed , so the point of a harness would be ?
Nasty that a man fell 2.5 meters and needs a wheel chair for the rest of his life , but this is and always has been a risky job .

The lad was 2.5 meters above a flat roof with no drop on any side Karlj , his harness has a 2 meter lanyard and he is about average height so he would hit the roof without the harness ever being deployed , so the point of a harness would be ?
Nasty that a man fell 2.5 meters and needs a wheel chair for the rest of his life , but this is and always has been a risky job .

he may "only" be 2.5 metres from the roof, however if he had a harness clipped on it would more than likely keep him upright and he would land on his feet and at worst break his legs. Or no harness take a dive of the beam land on his head and who's knows what state he'd be in. And to the left of that parapit looks more than 8ft to me.

Last edited:
Took the words out of my moth Chris. The main purpose of a harness is to keep your head upright.

knew there be mixed comments on this thread but think if we could all get away with it we would i know i would!!! been roasting this week with the hot sun!! safety glases fireproof overalls. harness. hat. boots. gloves. sweating your nu!s off for 2 jobs that were only 6 foot off the floor said to my mate wished we could wear shorts lol!!! nothing worse than being hot and sweatee not saying harneses shouldnt be warn but we all no whats safe and whats not iam quite happy to wear a harness when your above a certain height not than we get a choice there company policy

You may right phil however i think your wrong, i just hope we don't get to find out if you are. In this situation maybe a shorter lanyard is called for, the shock absorber doesn't have to deploy for a harness to help.

Last edited:
I have as many lads have almost had an accident through wearing a harness working on beams , forget the things there and go to crab the beam when the thing catches and almost pulls you over the side or you have a tube in your hand and go to grab on almost dropping the tube .
Dont get me wrong Chris i dont disagree with harnesses , there is many a man here today that wouldnt be here without them , but i do think that common sense sometimes needs to be used :)

The law is the law. The problem with a lot people on here they think there above the law. Could have built a light duty platform to work off.

I agree with you Phil sometimes they do get in the way, but i'd rather have it and not need it than not have it and need it.

I dont think iam above the Law Instructor , i think the law dont always get it right .
Who realistically is going to erect a platform to take a scaffold down thats 8 foot of the ground, not many i know. Real problem is people like to pretend they are all SG20 , when in fact they re not , how many lads wear there harness but never clip on ,i see it every day in London , but as long as they wear it its all rosy in the garden and just how many firms actually have a rescue plan that works and the rescue kit on site with trainned lads to use it .

---------- Post added at 04:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 PM ----------

Let's be rate lads the harness is here to stay n I'm old school.
I remember summer days when all We had wa a belt n a pair o shorts.

Was the way i was trained as well mick , reebok trainners shorts and a belt , but that dont mean i dont agree with harnesses , i just dont see the need for the lad to have been wearing a harness at 8 foot high .

I dont think iam above the Law Instructor , i think the law dont always get it right .
Who realistically is going to erect a platform to take a scaffold down thats 8 foot of the ground, not many i know. Real problem is people like to pretend they are all SG20 , when in fact they re not , how many lads wear there harness but never clip on ,i see it every day in London , but as long as they wear it its all rosy in the garden and just how many firms actually have a rescue plan that works and the rescue kit on site with trainned lads to use it .

---------- Post added at 04:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 PM ----------

Was the way i was trained as well mick , reebok trainners shorts and a belt , but that dont mean i dont agree with harnesses , i just dont see the need for the lad to have been wearing a harness at 8 foot high .
I agree wi Ya Phillio but 100% clip on is the future unfortunately

Phil we all know no one is complying with any of the regulation. My point was the young scaffolder could have built a light duty scaffold to work off instead of posting photo of sheer madness. If you are going to work like that do not take a photo.

Phil we all know no one is complying with any of the regulation. My point was the young scaffolder could have built a light duty scaffold to work off instead of posting photo of sheer madness. If you are going to work like that do not take a photo.
Sheer madness ?

Top Bottom