Metric or Imperial

g-scaff

Reaction score
took a 19 year old on site for his first time last saturday. grafted for about 4 hours then headed home . on the way home he asked " do you allways use feet and inches ". never really thought about it till then , but the answer would be "yes". do all scaffolders still use imperial or have some moved on ?

Feet and inches all day every day on the spanners, metres when doing the paperwork.

i remember being assesed by salamis about 11 years ago on the forties field and got a wee test,i answered the questions in old school rule brittania metric and the assessor who was a scaff from whitby aksed me what age i was i said 28 and he said why havent you answered the questions in metric i could only say its what i work in and it was what i was tought in by the old school.
any one who works in metris is generally a system boy

As I attended school many years ago, I think in imperial but is no bother to convert to metric, maths was always my best subject

Late seventies you could get drawings in Imperial or metric had to watch it when taking off and pricing from "drawings".

Another plan to erode our way of life and intergrate us into a united Europe, But we still have our "pints" at the pub, and at markets can still weights in lbs and ounces

a wee bit pissed now and binned the one i aquired but if memory serves me right the yankys work to a 10" foot so when you measure out for nine inch boards they dont fecking fit.the measure is the same in length IE 10FOOT IS 10 FOOT but they divide into ten as opposed to 12
i might be wrong as im half pised but im near enough and someone will correct me:embarrest:

This sounds about rite for the yanks done a few trips on a barge in the gulf (Mex)don't no there ass from there elbow,amazed me how they ever got any oil out of the ground.

Apparently,theres only 2 things the human race collectively/internationally agree on.
I believe one is the time,and the other is measurements (probably to do with land boundaries) unless youre a scaffolder.lol

Feet and Inches every time---a Scaff learned me to measure my boards by adding up to nine---

for example 72 " ( 7 + 2 ) = 9 therefore 9" boards will fit into 72 "

class garry i ken that 1
1 board 9"
2 baord18 ---1+8+9
3------27-----2+7=9
4------36-----3+6=9
ETC ETC ETC until 10 boards wide =8 foot bay

freddy in metric it wouldnt be boards it would be decks or pans,eigther way STAY AWAY.big heavy and clumbersome and some even have hooks that you have to drag along till they land on the tranny

Way out of my depth Happy. What are these metric pans? I must award you an ology in Gary's 7+2 masterclass. Your little table was most impressive.

It's not just confined to scaffs... feet and inches for me too & lbs & ozs! I use a table spoon to measure an ounce of flour or sugar (yeah, i know my place and duties :laugh:)... I do know 28 gms makes an ounce!

I had a bet with someone, Roger actually, about the size of my kitchen. He got all clever and made it volume size, ha! Anyway, I got my tall son to measure the height of the ceiling, 8ft 6ins... thats a random size isn't it, he declared, not realising 8 and a half foot isn't random at all... 6ins being half a foot, like ;).

Youngsters!

Top Bottom