Major inspection on one of my jobs due to accident.

Problem comes down to money , a ladder stage is usually part of the scaffold and a staircase works out big money

It always comes down to money...its no use saying how much is a mans life worth- as at the end of the day & requardless of the guidance for access. Staircases, system or tredda cost a lot of money and man hours compared to standing up a ladder for example a 8m haki system is around 4k to purchase treddas & tube for the same approx £500 compared to a 8m ladder & gate @ approx £150..
Its simply not practical to blanket ban on ladders - sometimes on a job theres just not the room to fit a str cse or a street job for example.
Why only scaffs i think everyone not just us should wear a harness for working & that way the block/reel method would be the most practical solution .
But reguardless of thecrights or wrongs or costs a fellow construction worker has lost his life & my sympathies go to his familiy

Just out of curiosity what staircase would most ppl use ie cuplock, layher, haki etc which is cost effective/ quickest etc say for a tube and fitting independent?

I myself would suggest haki as its the quickest out of the 3

Last edited:
just out of curiosity what staircase would most ppl use ie cuplock, layher, haki etc which is cost effective/ quickest etc say for a tube and fitting independent?

I myself would suggest haki as its the quickest out of the 3

layher is miles quicker and lighter

i've done quite a few layher staircases on the the olympics defenantly lighter (exept handrails lol) but where there's a lot more gear that goes in to them i would have thought haki would have been quicker marra :)

yeah you do have to put in doubble hand rails but again ther lighter and when on a ginny wheel will be miles faster horse for courses but i do prefer the layher stair case to erect than haki. also not sure if with haki you can have a single with stairs on he side of scaffold o walk on to the lift down and bakc on stair case saves a load of gear or adding it next to the lift so you are allways walking up in the same direction if that makes sense lol

Last edited:
yeah you do have to put in doubble hand rails but again ther lighter and when on a ginny wheel will be miles faster horse for courses but i do prefer the layher stair case to erect than haki. also not sure if with haki you can have a single with stairs on he side of scaffold o walk on to the lift down and bakc on stair case saves a load of gear or adding it next to the lift so you are allways walking up in the same direction if that makes sense lol

Yeah layher is better to handle and bigger area to walk up and down if no rope :) don't get me wrong i prefer layher to haki in fact as a whole I prefer cuplock out of the 3 but apart from the big firms and assuming haki is the cheapest out of the 3 I can see all the small/medium companies going for haki

Not at them prices m8 ..i'll stick to t&f treddas i think

Out of interest is anyone out there still using the old wooden treddas opposed to the metal ones?

Funnily enough i usd some only a few weeks ago in a confined space as it allowed me to cut the treddas down & refix the fitting something you just cant do wiv the metal ones.....so i'm always gonna keep a few back but proberbly got another 150 that will be doomed for ebay or the skip

Another death in our industry relating to ladders. Everyone should be following the Hierarchy of Access as laid down in TG: 20:08

Staircases
Ladder access bays with single lift ladders
Ladder access bays with multiple lift ladders
Internal ladder access with a protected ladder trap
External ladder access using a safety gate
TG20 08 Clause 12.1

Good solid footing.
Class 1 Industrial ladder fit for purpose no damage to stiles, no rungs missing, not covered in paint,
Placed at 75 degrees or 1 -4, tied top and bottom, square lashed with 6mm cord or as company policy. or with proprietary ladder ties and extended 1 metre above work platform unless an alternative handhold is provided.
3 points of contact
And of course, some sort of Training in ladders.

Stairs: we can use Haki, Layher, Cuplok or T/F. all will require training and cards.

They are all very good and with the workplace having older personal working longer than they wanted to, some would say stairs are the way forward.

Well I did until a friend of mine died falling down a set of stairs, very sad, I looked up on the HSE website to find out how many fatalities were caused from falling down stairs. I was astounded to find out the figures. See website : http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/hsl_pdf/2005/hsl0510.pdf

Take care on ladders, and stairs.

Bis Salamis limited ladders to 3 meter max when I was offshore last year due to a spate of incidents which was a ball ache for the Scaffs building landing platforms every lift

We use all types for access, just bought a load of one lifters as that is our bread and butter especially where room dictates, which is just about everywhere. We did just complete a fair size job on the street with one elevation backing onto a car park which was basically a bit of waste ground, so used that to build a stair tower to the main lift but went back to one lift ladders for the gable lifts. My condolences go out to anyone losing their life for a poxy job but I can't see them banning ladders any time soon. There are more deaths on our roads but they don't ban cars, just the idiots who don't know how to use them correctly.

I have been saying that for a while now. We have met them all over the years and it gets beyond belief at times.

Top Bottom