Lorry driving

boomer101

Reaction score
Heard talk about having to have some sort of training in place before 2014, can anybody shed some light to this???. And does it affect us scarfs????

Scaffs don't have to do it we are classed as incidental drivers ,I found out on the first course scaffolding is our main job so we are exempt.

You only need it if your job is a lorry driver , bus driver if you only drive your lorry to your job then you dont need it , it might however reduce your insurance , and if you decided to go lorry driving full time then you would be better to get it done , you can do it so many hours at a time or all in one course.

Road haulage association the will let you know the rules ,or get intouch with vosa

Most HGV or PSV training centers are doing the CPC training , a lot are doing it at weekends as well.

If your a scaffolder driving to and from site then you don't have to do it as truck is classed as toolbox if you work for a scaffold firm driving around all day delivering gear then you need it, or if you drive more than 4 hrs a day, thats what vosa told me

I was told as well if you don't drive more than 4 hours a day you and are a scaff you don't need to use a tacko has any one else heard this

correct if you don't drive over 4hrs a day and don't drive more than 30 miles from base as the crow flys then you don't need a tacho, vosa told me this last year when I went on an operators seminar.

I thought only 7.5 tonne lorrys or under could be tacho excempt , and then you had to keep a log book of all journeys Danaps ?

Yes sorry should have stated as I understand it over 7.5 tonne needs a tacho.
They never told me I needed to keep a log of any journeys though.

I had a 7.5 tonne lorry that the tacho got broke on rather then fix it we had it tacho except , but had to keep a log book in the cab with all the journeys times, date, time, mileage etc etc

correct if you don't drive over 4hrs a day and don't drive more than 30 miles from base as the crow flys then you don't need a tacho, vosa told me this last year when I went on an operators seminar.
I have asked loads of scaffs about this you are the only one that can confirm this thanks.only I got stopped by traffic cops he told me he was going o nick me for forgetting to alter dials on tacko ie break work and all that stuff .then I told him I didn't need a tacko witch he didn't believe but I dint hear no more so it must be right .so he nicked me for not having a strap over end of tubes in stead

Your supposed to register the lorry tacho exempt i remember filling in a form for VOSA when we had our lorry done

There is a flow chart in a VOSA publication which gives this information. I have tried to attach it so hopefully you can see it.

As for tacho exempt, I was under the impression that as long as a wagon had a tacho fitted (Regardless of use) it had to be calibrated in line with the rules which I think is major calibration every 6 yrs and general calibration every 2 yrs.

Attachments

• VOSA.jpg
    VOSA.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 15
There is a flow chart in a VOSA publication which gives this information. I have tried to attach it so hopefully you can see it.

As for tacho exempt, I was under the impression that as long as a wagon had a tacho fitted (Regardless of use) it had to be calibrated in line with the rules which I think is major calibration every 6 yrs and general calibration every 2 yrs.
I think that maybe any size lorry am I right or wrong

I think it is any size wagon. I got that from 'Rules on Drivers Hours and Tachographs - Goods Vehicles in GB and Europe'. If you google it you can download the pdf.

I thought it was for any size wagon aswell but when I drove an 18tonner a freind said I needed to do a tacho, I wasn't taking any risk so did one for that truck, otherwise we don't do them for the 7.5's.
Gary sometimes even the traffic police are unsure, we have a truck that is exempt for restriction, one of our lads got pulled in 3rd lane of motorway as an unrestricted 7.5 can use 3rd lane, Police gave him producer he was looking at 3 points aswell, He told the copper when he was pulled that he could use it, the copper argued the toss, I had to send off a copy of the wagon liceanse with note saying under the current laws etc etc blah blah blah our man got off with it

Top Bottom