loading bays

pikey1.76

Reaction score
Hi all,
Im an advanced scaffolders with 22 years experience and I've just got some grief off of a safety officer about some loading bays I have overseen our lads build. he is saying I need to prove they comply with TG20:13 which I thought they did ie 5 standards front and back board bearers @ 450mm centres ledger braced at each standard the normal spec.
However ive had a look at the TG20:13 user guide booklet and the loading bay within the book has a ladder beam in the working lift aaahhhhh :suspicious:
Any advice would be greatly received
thanks in advance
Wayne
apex scaffolding swindon

You would need to define the loading requirements of your tower.
You would also need to detail the intended loading method ie: pallet or stillage, mechanical loading etc.
You would also need to consider how the load is to me removed from the platform for example is it being moved by a pump truck, if so the wheel layout.

That said if your contract calls for you to work to TG20:13 you would need to provide a specific design.

A series of photos sent to your friendly local designer may result in an as built design for what you have built, but at a cost.

It is more likely that it would be quicker and less costly to insert the missing ladder beams????
regards
Alan

I'm sure to an old sweat like urself theres prob nothing wrong wiv ur loading bay.
But the thing is the one shown within tg20 has been designed & the calcs proven - like all the their generic drwgs within the design suite or E.guide - anything outside these incl the ones you've erected need thier own design.
Most scaff subbies insist that the contractor must pay for any drwgs they may need through out the duration if the contract - & some like myself hold onto these & use as generics outside of those of tg20- a lot depends on both the size & the MWL required.

I've yet to see anyone who is able to utilise the loading tower specified in TG:20. It's far too narrow.

I'm sure to an old sweat like urself theres prob nothing wrong wiv ur loading bay.
But the thing is the one shown within tg20 has been designed & the calcs proven - like all the their generic drwgs within the design suite or E.guide - anything outside these incl the ones you've erected need thier own design.
Most scaff subbies insist that the contractor must pay for any drwgs they may need through out the duration if the contract - & some like myself hold onto these & use as generics outside of those of tg20- a lot depends on both the size & the MWL required.

I still have drawings from the 80s S.P,

You never know when you will come up against something that an old design will help you out with.

Loading bays are designed to their specific needs.....the tg:20 one is a basic guide. When i was on for malvern we had 3 different designs. Each for a specific site/contractor.

If a scaffold is covered by TG20:13, then you just need a compliance sheet,
which the Eguide will give you, if it's not in TG20:13, it needs a bespoke design.

Not yet mate Iam still waiting ,

You braved any dives yet hahaha

Ping me over ur email phil & i'll send you some over.

Dives !!! Yes m8 just got back from cave diving in the mexican sonotes - fcukin awesome beats the solent lol -but wont be long till they put the boats back in the water & we can get some scallops Mmmm

Top Bottom