live gas flue problem

north london co

Reaction score
Hi all,

we are in the process of erecting a temp roof, the building has 5no gas flues venting vertical within the roof line, the void under the temp roof will be 15,000m3.
Some jobs worth has started making noises about ca/mi build up, can someone point me in the direction of the correct procedures for venting.

cheers

N.L.C

Welcome,can you not just extend the flues using flexi hose through the temp roof?

Lolo @HSWT...corgi stopped about 10yrs ago.

If its a normal temp roof where you have the gap between the tin & the bottom of the beams theres enough gap to vent. But if its a full incapsulation you'll av to get a gas safe engineer to redirect the flues & give you a certificate for safe use but tbh your dwgings should have picked up on this & i would put the emphasis back to the main contractor to organise it as i would have said your responsibolity is the roof & theres lie with the CDM regs which should av picked it up

Last edited:
Cheers for that info Southern Poofter, regarding the gap between bottom of beam and top of tins (around 18") how certain are you that this will surfice? Ive got same problem myself, we are covering a back addition and need to punch up off the party wall where the stacks are all located. If anything at least they are situated near to the edge of the roof and are therefore closer to the said gap rather than being in a central position under roof. Does this even make a difference?
Also would the distance between top of stack to underside of sheet, need to be same distance as gap between beams and underside of sheets (18"), or can sheets hoover just over it, as long as you still have the 18" gap to perimeter.

I take it ur not working to a desighn drawing then shag ? The gap on the sides has allways been sufficient on every drwg we have ever worked to to allow air circulation & through the structure but i'm not sure youd be able to put the tin so close to the flue heads as it would almost certainly compromise it...best to chat to ur desighner or the min of a gas safe engineer m8 just to be safe as the last thing u wanna do is cause blow back down the flue or leave everyone open to CO2 poisoning

You need to get a gas safe engineer to test if there is a build up of carbon monoxide in side the lid ,if aim right if some thing restricts the flow it will it automatically shuts the boiler down in witch means it can't return in the property.

Welcome,can you not just extend the flues using flexi hose through the temp roof?

can ya fek lol

Bloody hell.Next you will be telling me there are no pound notes anymore.
Still is a gas safe engineer what replaced CORGI? A bit like CISRS replaced proper scaffolders?

aye but to keep up with gas safe regs cost you 3,000 every 5 years imagine scaffs having to do that lol :laugh:

what type of flues are they gas fire flues, log.coal. or boiler boiler flues arent to bad as there condensing boilers the main are gas and log/coal fires/ if its a gas fire get them to isolate the fire b4 putting the roof on. coal and log same again dont feking use it

Yeah, we are working to a design drawing but roof shows just above stacks as these are on the edge of the temporary roof but must be covered to keep addition water tight. not only that they are neighbours stacks aswell. Is the design drawing meant to take into consideration gas emmisions or just weight calcs and wind and snow loads?
Surely there must be a stated minimum distance from top of pots to underside of roof?
Hopefully i can get in contact with neighbours, who are never in when i visit, to see if they are live or not and what type they are aswell.

I have faced this problem many times in the past.
It is not part of the "scaffold design" however should have been considered by the designer ASSUMING they have seen the site and not been assured that the vents are inactive.

It is worth noting that Carbon Monoxide is in fact heavier than air and as such the open eves would prove to be ineffective until the whole area was full of gas.

This issue would normally be dealt with by the contractor using mechanical means, this would involve as a minimum an intake and an extractor fan at opposing ends of the building.
From the scaffold providers point of view it should have been addressed via an exclusion clause attached to the quote making it the contractors responsibility.

If the temp roof is close enough to the stack top it may be possible to extend through the cover and flash the edges. I think the flue extension would need to surpass the temp roof by a minimum of 1.0m.

Regards
Alan

Top Bottom