legislation on corner standard.

John1960

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone tell me what the legislation is on how far you can place a corner standard from the corner on a return on an independentely tied scaffolding if there is an obstruction stopping you placing it fully in the corner?

you are aloowed 300mm from face of wall with out handrails if thats what you mean ,, if thats not what you mean , better start over !!dont get ya fell ?????????:eek:

Not sure i would have thought about foot , if its any further i would put a standard in as near as i could , then spur the corner and put a puncheon in the right place ,or put 2 standards in on the corner and take them all the way up , i think it depends on how high the job is , and what its being used for etc etc

---------- Post added at 05:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:22 PM ----------

you are aloowed 300mm from face of wall with out handrails if thats what you mean ,, if thats not what you mean , better start over !!dont get ya fell ?????????:eek:

Outside corner return standard is how i read it frank

hes got me thinkin phil , base dimensions are clear enough to state for an independant, im thinkin its a wind up , chicken or egg lol

completely understand what your saying but is there any legislation that states this? The job is only 5m high and it is general purpose scaffold.

---------- Post added at 05:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:32 PM ----------

Breif discription of job im working on: the outside corner standard has got to be offset due to a man hole, all i want to know is what the maximum distance the standard can be placed from the corner and is there any legislation that states tha max distence as i have to put a method statement together.

sounds like you have been caught up in an argument with somebody ,,, if theres a scaff on the job best ask him , thats what we are all trained for , if you dont know ,, ask the pros , if you dont have pros on the job ,, theres something wrong ,, good luck anyway fella !

I have never come across any legislation John , but i might well be corrected here :wondering: Was just always taught to put the standard as near to the corner as it will go , and use a double on the lower ledger

were all scaffolders but Taylor Wimpey want a method statement but it doesn't state anywhere in TG20 or work at height regulations what it allows for this.

So how far is the standard away from the man hole cover ,
I just wouldnt put it in the method statement , sounds like to much information for them mate ;)

I have never come across any legislation John , but i might well be corrected here :wondering: Was just always taught to put the standard as near to the corner as it will go , and use a double on the lower ledger

That is exactly what i was always taught but the saftey officer on the site wants legislation.

Then ask him to find it as you know of no such legislation , If he is that hot is there not a design for the job John ?

No there is no design, they have asked me for a design which cost a lot of money as you know, its a straight forward new build house we just had to move one standard out of place

I have been in this position before.. depends how many lifts are going up.. may want to introduce a nice lil beam if there is a few lifts and the return ledger is more than a 1/3 into bay..

sorry lads , just caught the tail end there , ,, beam and hip joint to support problematic leg , phil you could probably state stress bearing of allu beam and support raker tube , tie etc ,, good luck john , i didnt get you at start !

Safety man sounds like a co ck to me mate , really shocked they didnt insist on a design before you started work , its what the normally do .There are a few good designers on here and iam sure someone will be along soon who can answer your question about the legislation.

Bay length & Width:
n +/- 200mm on designated length
nLevel +/- 20mm in 2m (max deviation 50mm)
Not sure if it applies to corner standard though.
I would try and keep it 300 or les or do what philo said sounds right

I'd just try to get the leg as close to the drain as possible then put a spur in to support the corner if its in excess of 300mm, then just throw it back to Taylor wimpey and get them to make sure the ground is suitable if your over the drain. If you put in a beam technically even though we all know this is good practice it would subject the scaffold to design.

Last edited:
Fu ck em put a 2 x 4 foot boards over the drain as sole boards if they wont let you move the standard

Top Bottom