Ledger bracing.

Thought I did but just tried to give you a link and couldn't find it. BT are getting their erse booted first thing Monday morning.

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 PM ----------

It's a crap one anyway, not even I look at it.:noworry:

Ledger Bracing off hand rail.

Is this Ok??

Went by a job today,Ledger brace(dogleg) came off handrail.
Ive not seen this before. Looked tidy enough!?

Morning Frederick
I am sure I have answered this several times before but here we go again.

Bracing to the guardrail has always been acceptable BUT.... you MUST brace every line of standards. This was covered in BS5973 10.2 paragraph 3.

However since the advent of TG20 this is now section 6.2.1 paragraph 4 and they have changed it a little as follows:
Ledger bracing from the inside ledger to the principal guardrail level of the lift below may be used on unclad fully boarded scaffolds provided that every pair of standards is so braced instead of every alternate pair.

I assume the job is 10ft lifts as previuosly mentioned. As long as its hilti tied in its OK ( every other std and every lift ). If the scaffold is netted or got mono on then you prob brace out in th traditional fashion and tie it in.
I was told recently they don't do 10ft lifts anymore?? Havn't been back for 9 years!
I used to love 10ft lifts on price! and we used to get paid for hilti ties.

I assume the job is 10ft lifts as previuosly mentioned. As long as its hilti tied in its OK ( every other std and every lift ). If the scaffold is netted or got mono on then you prob brace out in th traditional fashion and tie it in.
I was told recently they don't do 10ft lifts anymore?? Havn't been back for 9 years!
I used to love 10ft lifts on price! and we used to get paid for hilti ties.

Morning WDW
10ft require a design in the UK now as they fall outside the new TG Document.

Thanks for the update AOM.
Thats prob why there is mostly day rates over there now.
Are you still in Dubai? Do you know a scaff from Croydon called Simon Wills?

It wouldn't be in my book Frederik but that would maybe say more about me than the job.:embarrest:

Thinking, it could be on a sway as hr runs along standards.
Reading thru Alans reply also makes sense as bracing is on all standards.
Not the case on job I saw. Wonder who would sign off on this.

Its as good as in my eyes if on douuble but a node point dose consitse of standard ledger and abberdean/tranny all from 1 standard and as its no got a abberdean or tranny on the boarded lift its not a node point but ad say as goo as if below and above the lift it has nodepoints if ya gwet me

Done a good few tower Blocks bracing of the handrail over the years and never had anyone say anything , still do it if the lifts are high its just easier if your on a dummy lift to stick it on the handrail.

So,question is, If this is acceptable,why not all the time? Designers ???

A whole string of questions all at one time:
Q) If handrails fixed on doubles, Is that considered a node point?
A)The definition of a node is as follows:
“theoretical point where two or more members are connected together.”
This however can be slightly misleading in the application we would like to use it.
For strength and suitability purposes we need a node that is restrained in two directions the guardrail connection is only restrained in a single direction with minimal restraint in the second direction from the bending capacity of the guardrail.
Q) Would the brace make it a fully restrained node.
A) Yes
Again this is a qualified answer as follows:
but only on the outside leg as the inside leg has neither guard rail or brace.
Q) So if this is acceptable why not do it all the time.
A) You can do this every time but it is not the most economical solution.
I refer you to my previous answer about the inside leg being unrestrained. In this event you have severely devalued the load bearing capacity of the leg thus requiring double standards sooner.
You have introduced twice as many braces and couplers as you would have on a normal ledger bracing pattern, this also results in a dead weight increase thus diminishing the available leg load yet again.
This system of bracing CAN NO LONGER BE USED WITH ANY FORM OF CLADDING.
And so it go’s on
I hope this is of some help
regards
Alan

Are scaffolds still tied in back there? I can't see what the difference is which way its braced to which node point, as long as the scaffold has sufficient physical ties across both standards.

Are scaffolds still tied in back there? I can't see what the difference is which way its braced to which node point, as long as the scaffold has sufficient physical ties across both standards.

Scaffolds are indeed still tied in the UK the difference may be how frequent the ties are inserted in the vertical line.
The requirement for this brace pattern is from the BS5973 and has now been included within the TG20:08 Document with a few revisions.

My answer off maybe sometimes depending on wind speed and direction is becoming more and more relevant Frederik.:cool:

Top Bottom