Ledger Bracing?

Which do you feel is the BEST and CORRECT way to Brace a lift...?

• Double to Double (Unboarded) and Swivle to Double (Boarded).

Votes: 17 63.0%
  • Swivel to Swivel at all times (Unboarded or Boarded).

Votes: 10 37.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Like a bi-sexual I go both ways.. either does it for me. I personally find it a lil easier to go swiv to swiv. Easier to spin the spanner on the top swiv, for me.

Another debate that really does not need a debate. Scaffold wont collapse either way.

Some good points all round lads,swivle to double prefered.On toe board side,not much choice,is there?
i was told on my advanced inspection course that swivel to double is now not acceptable, it causes tension on the pin of the swivel, it is either swivel to swivel or double to double.

You cant put a 2.7 metre street lift in with a kicker lift, cause of pedestrians, so after that its a normal 2 metre lift, you must struggle with a scaff step, to put a advanced handrail in, cause im 6' 2" and i have to stretch a bit.:laugh:

I struggle with loads of stuff, lol.
Sometimes, just sometimes i wish i had a few more inches. ;)

(I dont know why, but my missus keeps telling that also.) :eek:

Was taught swivel to swivel when I started up in Leeds, now I prefer swivel to double, much stronger. Personally I never double to double as it's a pain in the arse kneeling down and reaching under the ledger.

Thats why i hate kicker lifts at 43 having to bend or neel down, no thanks,:blink1:

I've done both and neither is wrong. When I started it was all double on the ledger to a swivel on the standard then went on to rig yards and off shore where it was all swivel to swivel. When I asked what the difference I think they felt it helped the load transference but I couldn't really see it and I did ask at the college once but it was so long ago I can't remember the answer.:embarrest:

It's a similar thing to what way the braces go, it doesn't really matter as long as they are there but who ever the leading hand is should make the call in the event of there being no further information.

i was told on my advanced inspection course that swivel to double is now not acceptable, it causes tension on the pin of the swivel, it is either swivel to swivel or double to double.

Crock of sh**e thats your instructors take on it, not a proven fact. show me the the facts and figures, i would say.:bigsmile:

I struggle with loads of stuff, lol.
Sometimes, just sometimes i wish i had a few more inches. ;)

(I dont know why, but my missus keeps telling that also.) :eek:

It must be nice to get clothes off the peg that fit you, even PPE i have to wait ages for, just got new hi vis fleeces, company fleeces and short bomber jackets for winter, i had to wait a bit longer, most scaffs 2xl, me 4xl. and im not a fat bas**rd, just bigged bone lol. 34 inch leg, 56 inch chest and 38 inch waist, 17 stone, ohh god had a funny sense of humour and gave me a 2 inch c**k. happy days. just seen the time and i have missed kick off for Spurs game, so going to love you lot and leave you.:love:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1AQxw18f8w]Jackass-Wee Man kicks himself on the head - YouTube[/ame]

Jason surley you had to know this was going to come? LOL

---------- Post added at 04:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 AM ----------

There are time when I think I am the only one reading TG 20.
"Section 6.2 Ledger Bracing
6.2.1 General
Ledger bracing should normally be fixed at alternate pairs of standards in all lifts. Standards that are ledger braced should be made into complete seris of triangles on all lifts. Whe the bay is 1.5m or less the ledger bracing may be fixed to every third pair of standards. In all cases the end standards should be ledger braced.

The ledger brace should preferabley be fixed from ledger to ledger with right angle couplers when the lift is not to be boarded, but may be fixed to the standards using swivel couplers.

The bracing on boarded lifts should be from under the noutside ledger of the boarded lift doun to the inside ledger of the lift below to avoid the toe board. This arrangement may require an extra width on the scaffold to accomodate the braces."

What is even more depressing than no one reading TG20 is that this is the same note that was in BS5973 and you still dont know it!!

Hope this is of help Alan

Thanks Alan, as always a decent and knowledgeable post.

So, according to TG:20...

Unboarded = Double to Double, with possibly Swivels being used (id imagine if there was no alternative?).

Boarded = Swivel to Double...? (That what i can see from reading what you wrote.)

Looks like yet again, Jay was right and Dal was wrong. :D

I prefer to fix a small butt to the outside standard with a DH and then fix the brace with a DH top and bottom

I'm a Double to Double on unboarded and swivel to double on boarded lifts and brace always from inside std to outside std. Looks neater that way.
I came across a scotsman in NZ who braced with swivel to swivel even on unboarded lifts and I asked what he was playing at...when I mentioned double to double he said he had never seen that before and was wrong.....yeah right mate!!!!He also reckoned he worked on London for years....yeah dream on mate.
I think its those scaffolders who are more used to using system scaffolds that brace swivel to swivel. I watched a bloke brace all his stds with swivels first before putting in the outside ledger and guess what?? His top swivels were in the way of the double for the ledger!!! say no more...

I watched a bloke brace all his stds with swivels first before putting in the outside ledger and guess what?? His top swivels were in the way of the double for the ledger!!! say no more...

Let me guess...
In a few weeks he was made up to a Foreman, then within 6 months to a Supervisor, spouting: "When i was on the tools."? :eek:

Id bet a weeks wages you say yes, lol.

Jason surley you had to know this was going to come? LOL

---------- Post added at 04:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 AM ----------

There are time when I think I am the only one reading TG 20.
"Section 6.2 Ledger Bracing
6.2.1 General
Ledger bracing should normally be fixed at alternate pairs of standards in all lifts. Standards that are ledger braced should be made into complete seris of triangles on all lifts. Whe the bay is 1.5m or less the ledger bracing may be fixed to every third pair of standards. In all cases the end standards should be ledger braced.

The ledger brace should preferabley be fixed from ledger to ledger with right angle couplers when the lift is not to be boarded, but may be fixed to the standards using swivel couplers.

The bracing on boarded lifts should be from under the noutside ledger of the boarded lift doun to the inside ledger of the lift below to avoid the toe board. This arrangement may require an extra width on the scaffold to accomodate the braces."

What is even more depressing than no one reading TG20 is that this is the same note that was in BS5973 and you still dont know it!!

Hope this is of help Alan

TG20 lads... d/b to d/d... swiv to swiv... makes no difference,

Used to do double to double now swivel to swivel unless its extreme loading,then revert back ,as said before with the tying situation now i personally think its plenty strong enough and its easier to fix ,at 44 with dodgy knees getting down to spanner under the ledger sometimes wonder if im going to get back up.

Used to do double to double now swivel to swivel unless its extreme loading,then revert back ,as said before with the tying situation now i personally think its plenty strong enough and its easier to fix ,at 44 with dodgy knees getting down to spanner under the ledger sometimes wonder if im going to get back up.

Haha, starting to get that way myself.:push:

If your job is erected properly ,with correct tie pattern ,then it is down to the scaffolder to decide what is best ,we don't need are hands holding all the time do we ?. Personally swivel double ,as its not only more sturdy,it looks better when netted.

Top Bottom