Ledger Bracing?

Which do you feel is the BEST and CORRECT way to Brace a lift...?

• Double to Double (Unboarded) and Swivle to Double (Boarded).

Votes: 17 63.0%
  • Swivel to Swivel at all times (Unboarded or Boarded).

Votes: 10 37.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
J

Jason-Gibbs

Hi guys.

I have had a bit of a falling out with someone i work with... 'as usual' some might say, as i can be an argumentative c.unt sometimes, lol.

What started the row was about Ledger Bracing on a normal Base-lift/Independent.

Me? - I ALWAYS when i can brace every other standard, Double to Double, as i think that this is the correct and strongest and neatest way to do it and if the lift is fully boarded, then i brace Swivel to Double.

But according to my mate the Ledger Bracing should be Swivel to Swivel...
Not Sway Bracing - which is ofcourse Swivel to Swivel, im talking about normal Ledger Bracing.

He seems to think that this is 'the Power Station' way to do it and its also states that on the TG:20 regs, it also states that Ledger Bracing is Swivel to Swivel. :notrust:

I personally think that if a lift is unboarded that you cannot beat Double to Double and if boarded, Swivel to Double and NOT Swivel to Swivel.

So, can i aks the Forum who is correct here?

Me? - Double to Double is best if unboarded or Swivel to Double, if its fully boarded

Or...

Him? - Swivel to Swivel ALL the time, as its how things are done on Power Stations? :unsure:

I appreciate your views.
Thanks guys.

Jay.

Last edited:
i always used to brace swivel to double or double to double because of the play in the swivel but with the amount of ties we are expected to put in now i have started going swivel to swivel like every one else

Swivel to Swivel has always been a Northen thing , i have always gone swivel to double boarded or un boarded

Was told the other month, while on my Part 1, as i was ledger bracing with swivels that i was a northern monkey, that only up north did they do that, over the years working on Power stations, outages come across all lads from around the country, all have there little traits, but on swivels you can bubble your standards in, without the ledger being there, ledger to ledger bracing you have to leave everything undone, and you cant give the reason as double to double is stronger, cause a swivel and a double have the same SWL at 6.1kn these days:eek:

Just on my part 2 course now mate. Ledger bracing is every other standard unless they are at 1.8 my then every third is sufficient. According to our assesor all braces where possible should be fitted using doubles (load bearing right hand couplers). Although a swivel has the same working 6.1kn working load it has a weak spot at the pin due to 'crucifixion forces'. We have just done the cantilever dropper & gantry scaffold using this method & those things were going nowhere. Another point is if your going ledger to standard on boarded lifts it gives the users more head height under the braces as we have done in numerous occasions at ratcliffe power station.

double to double where i can also with plan brace on beam's.

i always found it easier to level swivel to double , stickys are good for it .i must be a northern monkey now , its no good going swivel to double if the person your working with is doing swivel to swivel it looks a right mess

This job was a Baseout, with a kicker lift in and he still wanted to go - Swivel to Swivel.

Madness if you ask me.

Just on my part 2 course now mate. Ledger bracing is every other standard unless they are at 1.8 my then every third is sufficient. According to our assesor all braces where possible should be fitted using doubles (load bearing right hand couplers). Although a swivel has the same working 6.1kn working load it has a weak spot at the pin due to 'crucifixion forces'. We have just done the cantilever dropper & gantry scaffold using this method & those things were going nowhere. Another point is if your going ledger to standard on boarded lifts it gives the users more head height under the braces as we have done in numerous occasions at ratcliffe power station.

How do you go ledger to standard on boarded lifts, with doubles, would you go swivel to ledger on boarded lifts.:idea:

Some good points all round lads,swivle to double prefered.On toe board side,not much choice,is there?

sounds like a guy i worked with on palmers 5/6 years ago gary something or other, from oxford way somewhere. unshaven rough smelly bloke he was

is it him jason?

How do you go ledger to standard on boarded lifts, with doubles, would you go swivel to ledger on boarded lifts.:idea:

Was agreeing with jasons original point mate. Swivel at the standard double on the underside of the ledger.

Gary goble always went on about swivel to swivel, thats the bloke i was on about in my other post

This job was a Baseout, with a kicker lift in and he still wanted to go - Swivel to Swivel.

Madness if you ask me.

Both are not wrong, horses for courses, why do you need to put a kicker lift in, when you dont have to, theres no law to say you have to, unless its in the drawing, thats why you put aberdeens in some jobs.:blink1:

Yer top double tightens everything up,no play,though it is very easy to push,plumb,and wrap a top swivel,it's not as solid as using a double.

I like kicker lifts, as i think they make a job stronger, look neater and if your a midget, like me (im only 5ft 6 inches tall) it helps to give you a little boost, if your putting a fairly big lift in. ;)

Yer top double tightens everything up,no play,though it is very easy to push,plumb,and wrap a top swivel,it's not as solid as using a double.

Its the same SWL, what your saying is that the swivel rattles, it is still solid, but you put your hand on the brace and you can twist the tube, ever so slightly. it aint going nowhere, but as i say horses for courses.:weird:

Was taught swivel to swivel when I started up in Leeds, now I prefer swivel to double, much stronger. Personally I never double to double as it's a pain in the arse kneeling down and reaching under the ledger.

I like kicker lifts, as i think they make a job stronger, look neater and if your a midget, like me (im only 5ft 6 inches tall) it helps to give you a little boost, if your putting a fairly big lift in. ;)

You cant put a 2.7 metre street lift in with a kicker lift, cause of pedestrians, so after that its a normal 2 metre lift, you must struggle with a scaff step, to put a advanced handrail in, cause im 6' 2" and i have to stretch a bit.:laugh:

Top Bottom