Ladders?

Don't take this the wrong way, but as an experienced roofer of 40yrs wouldn't you expect him to fix the ladder before using it?
A 20% blame seems very charitable, maybe the judge had a heart.

40 years experience and trained in the safe use of ladders and yet the scaffold firm still got hit. I hope the payout does help him and his family but will have a look see to make sure it's all explained in my method statement as assuming they would know is obviously not enough.

Maybe why the claim was reduced by 20%. We have seen worse omissions with a smaller claim though, that was what caught my eye.

half the time they take the ladde4rs pff themsleve and move them some were eles, pulling up in the yard the gaffer the night b4 got us moving some ladders to be scrapped . on pulling up mid after nnon seen the new yard man standing over them and the driver jokes it a wonder ronnie isnt strightning them ladders out no sooner did he say that ronnie pulled out half a sole bad and whent to work straightening the rungs on the ladder you couldnt make it up

Good post aom,may remind all of the dangers of not checking ladders for stbilty. 40 years experience and 1 mistake. Heavy price to all concerned!!

Isnt it the users responsibility to check everything before starting work?

It's also the users responsibility to employ an expert who should leave a safe and suitable structure. Access and egress in your method statement will suit your men not the user, clear quotations and pre start briefings with the client would help here especially if signed.

Ian

Norside are a roofing company not a scaffolding company aren't they?

There is no report of the scaffold company being at fault unless Norside erect their own jobs.

Don't take this the wrong way, but as an experienced roofer of 40yrs wouldn't you expect him to fix the ladder before using it?
A 20% blame seems very charitable, maybe the judge had a heart.

40 years experience and trained in the safe use of ladders and yet the scaffold firm still got hit. I hope the payout does help him and his family but will have a look see to make sure it's all explained in my method statement as assuming they would know is obviously not enough.

It's also the users responsibility to employ an expert who should leave a safe and suitable structure. Access and egress in your method statement will suit your men not the user, clear quotations and pre start briefings with the client would help here especially if signed.

Ian

Isnt it common (and legal??) practice to not have a Ladder from ground to first Lift??
Ive never... never EVER seen or be allowed to leave a Ladder from the ground as a Health and Safety precaution.

It was always deemed to be the responsibilty to the one using the Scaffold to place and fix the first Ladder.
15 (or nigh on) years ive worked like that too.

Seems very charitable tbh.

Norside are a roofing company not a scaffolding company aren't they?

There is no report of the scaffold company being at fault unless Norside erect their own jobs.

Have you read the attachment about norside erecting it?

Isnt it common (and legal??) practice to not have a Ladder from ground to first Lift??
Ive never... never EVER seen or be allowed to leave a Ladder from the ground as a Health and Safety precaution.

It was always deemed to be the responsibilty to the one using the Scaffold to place and fix the first Ladder.
15 (or nigh on) years ive worked like that too.

Seems very charitable tbh.

Same here Jason, I just posted it as a warning to others to make sure they are up to date with their method statement.

Its ridiculous if you left a fixed ladder and children got up the scaffold you would be the worst scaffolder in the world , and the roofer would have taken it down every evening and put it back in the mornings so its a no win situation for the scaffolders , i have NEVER left a fixed ladder from the ground on a street job , you would have imagined common sense would have come into the case.

I am no legal expert Phil and I know it sounds poor but I think the answer is paper work, you make that clear and robust enough and you can do pretty much what you want.

It might be time to give mine an over haul.

I know, it's the first place where standards slip during a busy period and it's sadly the most important. I may have to try and be a bit more regimental next year, we really have no excuses with all these warnings we get now.

Lads, I do see it from your point of you and leaving a ladder to the ground is creating an extra hazard. It's all about paperwork including the handover note your client signs. In claims defence you deal with fact only not he said she said so black and white can be the difference between you getting the blame or your client.

I have dealt with 3 issues like this in 2012 and each time lack of paperwork and clarity has meant shared culpability.

Ian

What a lovely women judge to award him with that pay out! If we was in his shoes we would want more ! Makes a change for a women in her position to not be a man hater (csa worker for instance )

Top Bottom