Is there a users guide/manual for T&F

I have every British standard ever written with regards scaffolding but does not make me any better than anyone else.

I'm glad to hear it instructor I could have mentioned factories act 1961 but lets face it they are replealed now, or part of more up to date regs,

Just answering the question buddy..I like TG20 anyway. I dont like 21's thats all.
Capes have 2 manuals one for UK one for Asia all good stuff.

Hswt - are u reffering to the little yellow book

The SGB "little yellow book" was in 1982 pre the yellow book it was green and written in the late 70's these books were written and complied by Tom Blackmore and Willie McInnes with information contributed by many SGB Designers as they were in those days, myself included. Pre these books the given expert authority and greatly respected throughout the industry was Stuart Champion. There were several versions written after the yellow book one by myself whilst at Bow I around 2000 but not sure anybody bothers any more.
regards
Alan

What I was trying to get at,was when t&f was first put on the market,were there guidelines as Bri said for the layman. Obviously it was sold commercially and became a worldwide success. Theres no law saying only qualified scaffs can buy/hire and erect it.
So how can it have been hijacked by large companies who write the rules and guidance,which effects a percentage of working scaffs,make them do courses they run,and charge for any information on guidance.
These companies didnt invent it,but seem to have taken ownership of it and working practises.
The london leaner seems to have brought a lot of comments as to the legality when its been around for years and is a perfectly adequate working platform,to get over a particular problem. Whats a designers view on the leaner?
Naturally guidance had to come, for without this,training centres/tuition couldnt happen. As most know I never had a ticket,nor did many scaffs I worked with and learnt from. Pictures from BF show the basics havnt changed much.
Having been on the forum for a few years,I ve had my eyes opened as to how much I didnt know. Hence wondering what the manufacturers instructions originally said. Debate open.

What I was trying to get at,was when t&f was first put on the market,were there guidelines as Bri said for the layman. Obviously it was sold commercially and became a worldwide success. Theres no law saying only qualified scaffs can buy/hire and erect it.
So how can it have been hijacked by large companies who write the rules and guidance,which effects a percentage of working scaffs,make them do courses they run,and charge for any information on guidance.
These companies didnt invent it,but seem to have taken ownership of it and working practises.
The london leaner seems to have brought a lot of comments as to the legality when its been around for years and is a perfectly adequate working platform,to get over a particular problem. Whats a designers view on the leaner?
Naturally guidance had to come, for without this,training centres/tuition couldnt happen. As most know I never had a ticket,nor did many scaffs I worked with and learnt from. Pictures from BF show the basics havnt changed much.
Having been on the forum for a few years,I ve had my eyes opened as to how much I didnt know. Hence wondering what the manufacturers instructions originally said. Debate open.

Morning Frederik,
Sorry to correct you but.........
Tube and fittings was in fact invented by the big companies. Scaffolding used to be timber and lashings.
The concept of Tube and fittings was from Dan Palmer-Jones I believe in 1919. Dan was the founder of SGB prior to leaving and starting Palmers Scaffolding. Dan introduced the Universal Coupler to the industry and so the birth of T&F.
SGB’s logo in the late 60’s to late 70’s incorporated their slogan “The originators of tubular scaffolding”.
You are correct there were no laws to say who could buy and use this product but as a result there were a lot more accidents and deaths. With regards the working practices it was again the larger companies that have invested in the product development, training and safety that have allowed the industry to advance. It was the SGB’s and Palmer’s Scaffolding who wrote manuals and trained the Scaffolders of old to use this product. These scaffs went on to train the subsequent generations.
The products and tests were standardised by the likes of SGB and the manufacturers used these specifications and tests to make the product not the other way around.
Similarly all of todays codes and guidance’s were derived from the original product and not the product from the codes tube is the same as it was before I started and a double is still a double, nothing has changed they just have different criteria for the product testing and the safety levels of how you use it.

Last edited:
Seems strange that these doubles we use now that you could twist in your hand would have the same value as a mills, progress I suppose.

Top Bottom