Is it the end of the 21?

porter

Reaction score
Heard today from a very good source that 21ft tubes are to be withdrawn from trad scaffolding this monday! 16s will be the longest tube they use on all new jobs from monday!!

Keep us posted mate , have heard that story few times over the years

its a definite! this guy recieved a letter with his wages on friday saying that due to an accident involving a spicket and 21 they are withdrawing all 21s and spickets from monday!

If TRAD start doing it, i can see other firms following.
21ft tubes are a pain in the arse anyway... alot of the jobs im working on atm, you cant even carry them on your own anymore.

Its 2 men to a long, lol.

16ft's are nice.
Nice and easy and nice and light.

By the way?
'Porter'?

Is that Barry Porter?

no mate! just a word i remember! run my own firm in nw london!

Ok, fair enough, lol.

Even 18ft's are easier then 21ft's.
Its surprising how much difference the extra 3' makes.

very true but trust me i wont be cutting down my 21s just yet!

no way! the strongest part of any scaffold is defined by the longest tube you can put into it i.e. a long un.
the weakest is yer sleeve or weaker still the pin, especially they cheapo toffee ones that seem to be all the rage nowadays( probably why trad had an accident in the first place or is it cos of some new traffic reg that penalises longer vehicles).

no way! the strongest part of any scaffold is defined by the longest tube you can put into it i.e. a long un.
the weakest is yer sleeve or weaker still the pin, especially they cheapo toffee ones that seem to be all the rage nowadays( probably why trad had an accident in the first place or is it cos of some new traffic reg that penalises longer vehicles).

According to Ben Flynn, he is the strongest part of a Scaffold. :laugh:

Agree Big Nose,

I always worked on the principle the less joints used the stronger the scaffold

Ever been on a progresive brickies scaffold when the ar*eholes have repeatedly topped out with five's to get the lift or handrail height :mad:

Heard a rumour back in the 70's that the CITB was introducing a Scaffolders Record Scheme to drive out the cowboys and give a decent wage to proven qualified men :sad2::sad:

Oh dear, things are gettin even more sillier by the day. Banning 21's.... I thought scaffolding was for men. TRAD are a bunch of slags (the management). Used to look at them as a hard bunch, but now they are using layher and offering joke wages, they can **** off.

Instead of banning them why do they not just have the method statements state that no long are to be hemped above ankle height, or not at all.

---------- Post added at 09:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 PM ----------

Ok, fair enough, lol.

Even 18ft's are easier then 21ft's.
Its surprising how much difference the extra 3' makes.

Even a 20 ft tube is a LOT easier to handle than a 21.

Last edited:
The Oil and Gas service Co's have had the policy of longest tube @ 16 Ft---also if yer carrying gear the sum total of footage cannot exceed 16 Ft---no stipulation on scarf height though ;)

It's all in their Procedures, manual handling or mumit :wondering:

worked on a lot of residential tower blocks 10,12,15,18 and a couple at 25 storeys with 8' lifts on every floor..............

topped long uns all the way, some above the head and no i aint superflynn, i'm 6' 3" & 12 stone soakin wet.

the only thing ya need for toppin is technique and a little touch of confidence

so lets make monday "national feck the hse and top a long un day" while the weathers still nice

Fukk that.

Its easier to hurt your back, just as you have to whack a long on an hemp.
I do that all the time and so far its worked.

Only thing is, is that my mates now call me: 'Sick-note' as well as fat-b0llocks and Baseplate and 'Useless C**T'.

Im sure these are just names made up out of friendship and love and not ones that take the piss, at all.

:eek:Here the tube comes in 300mm increments starting with a 300mm tube and going up to 6-3 metres.
Even with this fantastic selection of sizes some of these superstars still manage to get all the joints in the same bays.......

Is that not what your supposed to do?
If you have as many sleeves as possible per bay and all in the same bay, its stronger aint it? :noworry:

Sleeves are the strongest fitting, behind the Flynn-Clamp which can take over 11,000,000 metric tonnes per sq inch.

Top Bottom