inside handrail

and you could drive the forklift if u could find the keys :)

---------- Post added at 08:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

Blocking lifts were pallets

they still are arnt they lolo:embarrest:

or you could start any machine on site with a fencing staple.

no site agenst ,just crack on but also no toilets so had to **** in a bucket lolo

It was feckin great being a scaff in them days,it's a feckin chore now with all the bs:sad2:

I know some will think this is pretty boring but for me the information on this forum has changed my behaviour on site. I read on here about a fella that was crushed behind the truck that was driven by a young gun with no licence. I'm the first to admit my failings but I have been trying to encourage a couple of the boys to pass their driving test and always give them a wee shot of shifting vans and trucks on site. I know it's not right and was thinking about it when one of them jumped in the van and reversed it just missing my new truck, then swung in to the yard mm away from the shed obviously had no control over it and all I could do was roar at him as he approached my jeep, he hit the anchors and skidded to a shuddering halt again mm away from the jeep and got out as cool as you like as if nothing happened. I was as white as a sheet and no one has shifted anything they are not licenced or insured to drive since.

in compliance with SG4, when a scaffold is being erected and there is an inside gap in excess of 225mm on a non-working lift,then a singlescaffolders gaurdrail is recommended.
SG29:08

If its timber frame then double gaurdrail and toeboard is required.

I thought you mentioned non working.

---------- Post added at 10:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 PM ----------

Why does it matter if it's timber frame or brick a gap is a gap regardless surely?

True, gap is a gap ! anything could fall down,

Ok this was the message from the HSE meeting in which Simon Hughes attended at Birmingham. So before you go all go off on 1. this is how it was told. AOM was also in attendance at this meeting.

We asked in regards of a rendering scaffold as the worker would need to peel back the inside board to use his trowel to render.
TG20 states no gaps however it was agreed that anything over a boards width 225mm that didnt have additional control measures in place would be deemed by the HSE as a potential fall hazard.
control measures to think about:
if 225mm is exceeded as the scaffold may have 2 inside boards then the scaffolding company can either place inside handrail which must be double or the better one which seems to work is make the scaffold a permit to work scaffold where the risks are highlighted and the workers sign on to the job and fully know of the risks involved they then wear a fixed landyard and harness for fall prevention. All this and costs should be agreed at the scope of works meeting so where the client is in full agreement.
As scaffolders it is your duty to create a safe zone for any person working or using the scaffold.

Last edited:
AOM was also in attendance at this meeting

FFS Steve, I can hardly remember my own name let alone what was said at one of these things.:eek:

All well and good and does sound about right to me but we are finding a lot of moans and groans from the trades about it still not being enough. I already know the answer is to tell them to shut the feck up and get on with it but again site managers we are involved with want to keep them happy and are requesting more and more of a gap. As I've been saying for a long time, everyone needs training on how to use a scaffold in my opinion.

that is very informative gives me something to work with

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 AM ----------

just learning quotes
Ok this was the message from the HSE meeting in which Simon Hughes attended at Birmingham. So before you go all go off on 1. this is how it was told. AOM was also in attendance at this meeting.

We asked in regards of a rendering scaffold as the worker would need to peel back the inside board to use his trowel to render.
TG20 states no gaps however it was agreed that anything over a boards width 225mm that didnt have additional control measures in place would be deemed by the HSE as a potential fall hazard.
control measures to think about:
if 225mm is exceeded as the scaffold may have 2 inside boards then the scaffolding company can either place inside handrail which must be double or the better one which seems to work is make the scaffold a permit to work scaffold where the risks are highlighted and the workers sign on to the job and fully know of the risks involved they then wear a fixed landyard and harness for fall prevention. All this and costs should be agreed at the scope of works meeting so where the client is in full agreement.
As scaffolders it is your duty to create a safe zone for any person working or using the scaffold.

Top Bottom