inside handrail

timthumb

Reaction score
any ref to inside handrail needed for a 1,5m fall to floor ...........
safety guy wanted one put in' our method statement says we will be working to sg4 ( ill add 10 )

wow thats alot i used to get paid £8 a long up £4 down

I think it's where ever there is a danger of a fall. I have seen us putting them in a lot lower than that, pathetic I know.

Sg29:08 refers to inside handrails if the gap on the inside is bigger than 300mm.

That's a certainty to have been up dated now I would have thought, not many sites will wear a 300 gap now.

thats the q as the foreman is going to write it down as an extra but agent is saying its down to the scaff contractor as working to sg 4 10 ...
if it was for a trade i can see the charge as safety officer asked for it for scads i can see an argument

add to that the old 300 gap element so safety man asks for single h/rail for trade, scaff says no such thing as single h/rail for a trade double plus toe board min ...

trade says he ant work

mm i feel a headache coming on :):):confused:

Last edited:
If your getting paid I don't see the problem, just give the guy what he wants. We had similar and got paid for it but I knew it was pathetic as the gap was minimal but I got paid and the safety guy thought we were first class so every one's a winner.

haha, maybe we could sheet the inside as well.:idea:

So in theory then you should have a inside handrail when erecting anything with an inside gap of 30cm , do you then need an advanced inside handrail ?

Oh lord i pray for many house fronts for painters and roofers smash em up and get in the pub :)

---------- Post added at 09:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

haha, maybe we could sheet the inside as well.:idea:

oh yes with 18mm ply :D

a safety fella told me to handrail a brickwork scaffold on the inside because the gaps between the sfs were bigger than 470 . i tried to hide my grin when i said it was an extra haha

oh, thought you were, that is different. Not so sure now, it would depend on the size of the job and how much profit there was to play with but I suspect I would still do it as I can't be bothered with the hassle.

---------- Post added at 09:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 PM ----------

So in theory then you should have a inside handrail when erecting anything with an inside gap of 30cm , do you then need an advanced inside handrail ?

Oh lord i pray for many house fronts for painters and roofers smash em up and get in the pub :)

---------- Post added at 09:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

oh yes with 18mm ply :D

I think it's anything more than 50mm as a general rule of thumb now but it all depends on what's on it and who is walking below it. Ridiculous I know especially when you have renderers shouting for a bigger gap but when they fall down it they will be able to make a claim.

Ive had to put handrails on Scaffolds that are only a few inches off the ground...
Even blocking lifts for Bricklayers ive done had to be handrailed off, to prevent them stepping back and falling the whole 18 inches to the ground.

The distance off the wall???
Not sure what the legal distance is, but ive always worked to anything more then 3 inches is considered too big a gap between the inside Board and the building.

Having said that, i suppose it comes down to the Site Managers individual wants/needs.
Sometimes a handrail will be in the way for the trades using the Scaffold, so you only end up being asked to take it out anyway...

what happened to 2m or less no handrail ha

ooooooh the good old days - and then it was only single lolol:bigsmile:

---------- Post added at 08:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

with no ppe ,hats, harness, boots, gigs - just shorts & trainers,a big grin and loads of laughs

Top Bottom