Ingenuity of workers from 3rd world countries

Reaction score
Consultant Scaffolding Manager AG&P Philippines
Started to clear my land today (the master would call it an estate) ready to start building the house.
The guys turned up armed with bolos ( a Filipino sharp knife a bit like a scimitar cost about 2 quid).The blade slots into a hole in a wooden handle. Now one of the guys had a handle that was loose and kept coming off. Most of us who have had damaged tools would simply throw it away and buy a replacement.
Not this guy he found a plastic bag, stuffed it into the hole, lit a fire, heated the blade and inserted it into the wooden handle. Cooled down it was hard as f**k and good as new.
Any one else seen any clever tricks over the years?

The Mexicans i used to work with never wore a scaffold belt as such,there safety harness was more like a bodywarmer and on the front running down from chest to hip either side were carribieners,frogs etc to carry tools,ive found a similar harness on the engellburt strauss website but might look a tw*t on site with it:D,must admit though makes for a lot more freedom of movement,especially for those of us with added girth!

Started to clear my land today (the master would call it an estate) ready to start building the house.
The guys turned up armed with bolos ( a Filipino sharp knife a bit like a scimitar cost about 2 quid).The blade slots into a hole in a wooden handle. Now one of the guys had a handle that was loose and kept coming off. Most of us who have had damaged tools would simply throw it away and buy a replacement.
Not this guy he found a plastic bag, stuffed it into the hole, lit a fire, heated the blade and inserted it into the wooden handle. Cooled down it was hard as f**k and good as new.

Is it expensive to build were you are?

Well firstly you cant technically own land if you are a foreigner. Costs of land vary obviously on where you are, how near the sea etc.
As for actual building costs a bag of cement is about 5 quid (40 KG). Labour is cheap about 5 quid a day for a good mason.
In general you should expect to pay approx 400 USD per sq metre of a building. thats the lot roof,tiles,bathrooms,concrete. Obviously add more if you want a spa bath etc.but that figure will get you a house which is palatial by UK standards.

---------- Post added at 12:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 PM ----------

Sorry forgot the design (done by myself) drawn by an architecht, engineering drawings, building permits etc cost about 1200 USD including a small bridge, road and fence.Dont know how that compares with UK?

Nice I wish you all the best for your new home, a little bridge as well. You’ll have to get into the farming or fishing, I once met a Philippino, he said you like hunting I said yes, come to my place we hunt, with guns, no with spears

Best trick ive seen was on Britain got talent. That dogs amazing though i think their barking up the wrong tree putting him on the variety performance

The traditional Stanley blade once its been blunted simply switch it around good as new. Same principal with my spanner I have had it for twelve years 6 new handles and five new boxes works a treat.

where are you?

i take it you state 3rd world ingenuity because ingenuity is now banned due to hse mandates. problem solving has died in the building and construction engineering game in GB :mad:

where are you?

The Republic of The Philippines.

---------- Post added at 01:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 AM ----------

Im resisting the ******* smart answer here,is that a FILIPINO sharp knife though;)

Haha yes Filipinos dont really use knives apart from killing things and cutting through the jungle. For eating they use fork and spoon or hands. Not a lot sharp to be found out here except for their brains when they see an opportunity to make money.

---------- Post added at 01:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 AM ----------

i take it you state 3rd world ingenuity because ingenuity is now banned due to hse mandates. problem solving has died in the building and construction engineering game in GB :mad:

You are right happy. Thinking outside the box and ingenuity was banned by HSE in 2001.

how much will the gardener be getting once the house is built. and have they got use of the pool. and private accomodation!!! private message me the details of paye please i may be interested

Wage for a gardener would be about 100 a day (pesos). And of course he would be able to use the pool (i am not the master). Would probably live out or in a small native cottage on the land. Cant decide on the pool at the moment as toying with the idea of an infinity pool but am aware they have to be built perfectly to avoid future problems. The outside bar will take priority as can always stroll down to the sea for a swim!!!

Hi hswt,have you thought about getting this project on grand designs? Or some sort of webcam,would be real interesting to watch the trials and stress of building overseas.

Its not grand enough for grand designs mate. There are plenty of huge mansions out here that might qualify but not my humble family home. Simple but elegant is what i am going for.
I am planning on taking a video every couple of days or so to keep a record.
I have given the contractor a fixed price with a penalty clause for late completion so hopefully all the trials and stress will be his!!

I saw a programm once where this women put her project out on the webb,made bit out of it,free materials and advertising paid for it.Are you building two story ? great view of the sea. Post a pic when its raining lol

Great idea but dont think it would work here.
One storey mate as thinking ahead and may not be able to get upstairs in the future lol
Will post a rainy pic but we are lucky here as dont have a whole season of rain like many places in the Philippines. rainfall is spread out evenly through the year and tends to rain early evening/night but when it rains it really rains!!!!

Top Bottom