If you had your own firm

orsscaffolding

Reaction score
Most scaffs that work for a firm have not got any thing nice to say about there employers
So my question is what if you had your own firm what would you do different ?
Don't say give the boys 800 pound for a 3 hour day.
Sensible suggestions.

Only look after those who grass or those related to me, plead poverty and refuse to give the boys a payrise, then get in my brand new Aston Martin and fly First Class to NewYork for a shopping trip and use any excuse possible to knock the mens money. :cool:

Thats what id do! lol.

Only look after those who grass or those related to me, plead poverty and refuse to give the boys a payrise, then get in my brand new Aston Martin and fly First Class to NewYork for a shopping trip and use any excuse possible to knock the mens money. :cool:

Thats what id do! lol.

Never have and never would j and i drive a astra van and a KIA
HAVE GOT A PRIVATE JET THOU SSSSSSSS

Break the legs of those who don't pay up...on time. Had a company for 7 years.... Cash flow for a start was difficult. Did everything right... Paid lads on time, supplied them with everything... Then there were the lads who never turned up on a Monday morning... Me being the social worker...(again) Site agents looking for scaffs at the drop of the hat, as if I had them on a wardrobe hanger in the office.
What would I do different ! Be more ruthless.....

Honest answer now:

Id advertise as MUCH as possible, use all things at my disposal to put the companies name out there.
Employ GOOD Scaffolders, even if i had to pay them a bit extra, organise the yard correctly, to save time loading and unloading wagons (an expense thats not needed), company billboards and signs on everything.

Take to time to run the Firm and not rely on someone else to run it for me, would help greatly too.

Break the legs of those who don't pay up...on time. Had a company for 7 years.... Cash flow for a start was difficult. Did everything right... Paid lads on time, supplied them with everything... Then there were the lads who never turned up on a Monday morning... Me being the social worker...(again) Site agents looking for scaffs at the drop of the hat, as if I had them on a wardrobe hanger in the office.
What would I do different ! Be more ruthless.....

Exactly my point no one sees the bosses side of things finding work,getting paid for the jobs,and there's the bank manger.

---------- Post added at 06:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:20 PM ----------

Honest answer now:

Id advertise as MUCH as possible, use all things at my disposal to put the companies name out there.
Employ GOOD Scaffolders, even if i had to pay them a bit extra, organise the yard correctly, to save time loading and unloading wagons (an expense thats not needed), company billboards and signs on everything.

Take to time to run the Firm and not rely on someone else to run it for me, would help greatly too.

Do But theres so many small firms like mine after the same job its hard to compete some jobs you have to let go cause by the time you pay the boys diesel ETC the firms on about 30 pound so not worth the grief

Respect the lads treat them how i would want to be treated take the same wage as them and keep the money in the firm, work with them as much as i could on the spanners. Clean and tidy yard, and not take the p1ss with the hours they work

So my question is what if you had your own firm what would you do different ?

Weekend work only to those that turn up Monday

Streamline office staff and supervisors, they don't earn money the scaffs have to work to pay for them.

Give lads sites close to home to keep them happy

1 hour lunch Friday, try get as many as possible to meet at same cafe (if possible)

Not give rubbish directions to the job to the lads

Always write next to the price "Not including extras"

Respect the lads treat them how i would want to be treated take the same wage as them and keep the money in the firm, work with them as much as i could on the spanners. Clean and tidy yard, and not take the p1ss with the hours they work

Marra what would you do if you gave two men 6 sq to do in a day but by the time they had breky and tea all day and talking bocllks on the phone,got lost on the way and they tell you the sat nav is **** and they turn up back at the yard at 6pm they left at 7am and then started moaning at the end of the week about the hours theve done.

Do But theres so many small firms like mine after the same job its hard to compete some jobs you have to let go cause by the time you pay the boys diesel ETC the firms on about 30 pound so not worth the grief

Theres lots of free advertising places, via the net.
This Forum, Twitter and FaceBook. (i know your on all 3, its exactly what i would do too) :)
Take pictures/videos of your good work, like i do and systematically spam it, like i do... free advertising.

What about a work/business plan??
How big do you really wanna get? You can use that ethic to plan your yard for say 3-4 lorries to be loaded at a time, so on.
You can also use that to work out what direction you want your Firm to go too, ie: Railway, Site, Street, House-bashing, etc.

Website is a MUST.

Only employ ticketed Scaffolders = multiple uses... site work, industrial, street work.
Only employ ticketed Scaffolders who can drive lorrys - again, they are versatile and can do anything.

Honestly, im the first to dig out Bosses... not because im a priick (maybe i am, just a bit), i just HATE getting treated like shiit by them, but having your own Firm could be a blessing and a nightmare rolled into one.

I suppose, if it was that easy, we'd all be doing it.

Theres lots of free advertising places, via the net.
This Forum, Twitter and FaceBook. (i know your on all 3, its exactly what i would do too) :)
Take pictures/videos of your good work, like i do and systematically spam it, like i do... free advertising.

What about a work/business plan??
How big do you really wanna get? You can use that ethic to plan your yard for say 3-4 lorries to be loaded at a time, so on.
You can also use that to work out what direction you want your Firm to go too, ie: Railway, Site, Street, House-bashing, etc.

Website is a MUST.

Only employ ticketed Scaffolders = multiple uses... site work, industrial, street work.
Only employ ticketed Scaffolders who can drive lorrys - again, they are versatile and can do anything.

Honestly, im the first to dig out Bosses... not because im a priick (maybe i am, just a bit), i just HATE getting treated like shiit by them, but having your own Firm could be a blessing and a nightmare rolled into one.

I suppose, if it was that easy, we'd all be doing it.

J you do talk sence sometimes But you see what im trying to say.

Marra what would you do if you gave two men 6 sq to do in a day but by the time they had breky and tea all day and talking bocllks on the phone,got lost on the way and they tell you the sat nav is **** and they turn up back at the yard at 6pm they left at 7am and then started moaning at the end of the week about the hours theve done.

put them on day rate give them ther jobs and thed stay till that job is finished but with out taking the **** find a happy medium if they get it done off they go home rather than having them load the wagon till daft oclock

J you do talk sence sometimes But you see what im trying to say.

Ya mate. I do.

Its a tough one.
One thing id would definitely do is: Never ever forget where i come from.
Im a short, mouthy, working class oik, whether fate decides one day i should become something more, a short, mouthy, working class oik ill remain, just with a few more ££££'s in the bank.

Scaffolders need Firms and Firms need Scaffolders.
Its a 2-way relationship. :)

Top Bottom