hse tossers

mike l

Reaction score
is any body else sick of little kids who have never twirld a spanner telling you what to do and better still have you got a drawing !!!!!!! no spotty but ive got 20 years in the game and am still livin so must be doin summet right :mad::mad: no f off and finnish your paper round

well said that man ................ and welcome to you

A good HSE inspector is there to help you & should be able to explain to you anything he thinks is wrong & if so how to rectify it, that’s the problem now they do their NEBOSH & think they know it all, we need more guys from scaffolding to become HSE inspectors.

is any body else sick of little kids who have never twirld a spanner telling you what to do and better still have you got a drawing !!!!!!! no spotty but ive got 20 years in the game and am still livin so must be doin summet right :mad::mad: no f off and finnish your paper round

100% agree but cross the spotty faced bustards and they can and will make your life hell

Welcome to the Forum Mike

Bit of a rant for a first post,

The HSE Inspector,if indeed he was from HSE,you do not say, was only doing his job with all the directions and constraints placed upon him by his employers.

Age has no relevence in interpreting legislation and guidelines for scaffolding works.

If you stick around the Forum,you will come across a lot of small scaffolding companies that are trying thier best to comply with current legislation.They are spending Thousands of pounds a year to this end.

They are being undercut by outfits that give scant regard to said legislation.We as an industry need a level playing field.The more inspections and enforcement the better is my view.

I have been in the scaffolding game over 40 years and are still learning.Wether we agree are not with the legislation is not the point,the point is that it is law and must be adhered to , or face the consequences.

Last edited:
Yes mate, im sick of little toffee-nosed tw@ts telling me how 'safe' i am or aint...
I been doing this job for long enough and been about on more jobs then most of these so-called Safety blokes have even seen, i KNOW exactly what is safe and what is dangerous.
But they have that silly piece of paper that says that they 'know better'.

This is when most jobs i go on BIG or SMALL, you cant walk 20ft, without nigh-on breaking your neck, due to piss-poor house keeping.

But unfortunately, there is f.uck all you can do about it, other then suck eggs.
The HSE rules the roost and they have all the say nowadays.

Welcome anyway. :)

.If the scaffold your building requires a drawing then he's doing you a favour, telling a crown prosecuter you have 20 years experience ain't worth sh1t. Just look at what happened in Cardiff & Milton Keynes. Its all good spouting about experience but when alls said and done this game is not just thinking you know all the ins and outs just cause you've turned a spanner its knowing the game inside & out that counts thats when you can call yourself a scaffolder :p

Think to be fair Milton Keynes was built rough as ****.... most HSE people just cover their arse 100% which is easy to do, but most have no common sense...

Milton Keynes was fecked before the first tube was erected. When you employ a bloke called Roy Rogers to come and put your scaffold up your asking for trouble. But him and Kingy knew best cause they had 20 + years experience

I'm sure not knowing how to tie the job in properly or that sleeves don't go in the same bay, may have fucked it up more than ignoring advice from HSE..

I'm sure not knowing how to tie the job in properly or that sleeves don't go in the same bay, may have fucked it up more than ignoring advice from HSE..

But this is the sort of advice you get from us H&S people , isn't that what the OP was all about ????

Sometimes... but mainly just arse covering..

Correct me if I'm wrong. Milton Keynes problems more down to Site management not recognising the dangers of an overloaded scaffold. Loading bays had been struck and stored on scaffold. A delivery of cladding was delivered on the sat.and also stored on scaffold. Ties were removed to drop window frames into position. Ties were never replaced. High winds then destabilised scaffold. Site manager went on the run. A basic explanation by Tony Smythen my smsts course instuctor. Dont know if Roy Rogers can be blamed for this.
I have spoke to a few HS inspectors on site pointing out a few things. They werent bothered hence my ealier remarks.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Milton Keynes problems more down to Site management not recognising the dangers of an overloaded scaffold. Loading bays had been struck and stored on scaffold. A delivery of cladding was delivered on the sat.and also stored on scaffold. Ties were removed to drop window frames into position. Ties were never replaced. High winds then destabilised scaffold. Site manager went on the run. A basic explanation by Tony Smythen my smsts course instuctor. Dont know if Roy Rogers can be blamed for this.
I have spoke to a few HS inspectors on site pointing out a few things. They werent bothered hence my ealier remarks.

Roy Rogers & Kingy went on the run , not sure but I think Kingy is still in Spain. Roy Rogers drunk himself to death

I have been a scaff for 20 yrs, not turned my spanner in 3 yrs due to being a scaffold inspecter. Theres rules & regulations every body has got to abide by. The HSE are starting to blitz companys to try and recouperate money. There won't be any improvement notices anymore its a straight prohibition notice & fine. That was from an HSE employe. (still keep my 3 gold cards up to date).
HSE are not aiming for big companys more the medium/small who think H&S don't matter to them. I agree there should have more knowledge in scaffolding, wish i had a pound for every HSE/NHBC guy who rings me for information. An if your working to a drawing then stick to that drawing don't change it without permission from the designers.

Last edited:
The job of Health and saftey covers so many areas,I would suggest theres a shortfall of inspectors to cover the country. They could easily employ a few thousand more and fines would cover cost and rid us of cowboy operators in all fields. Scaffolding industry alone would benefit. Youve seen photo's posted on here. Thats the tip of the iceberg.

Perhaps if hse and saftey inpectors had followed up their repeated warnings on the state of MK scaffold with aprohibition notice,one man may still be with us today

Roy Rogers & Kingy went on the run , not sure but I think Kingy is still in Spain. Roy Rogers drunk himself to death

HaHaHa That just about sums this game up...excellent...:laugh:

Top Bottom