How can this be right...

sound like a gud bloke at least u cn keep ur head up high.go forward n conqure!

Paddy - he saves me rakes of gear your correct , 13ft bases then 10ft lifts ha ha , he is out on the razzle today the northern let down i had to have the B & C team

Moanalot - allways made a profit supposedly based on the amount of corporation tax paid year in year out , no doubt you know bout that to !!!!!

Did you sell any gear up

( the great bit - no more sites now ...........................)

if you look back you will probably find that % of workforce were ******* who didnt pull their weight, a % of clients were ******* aswell getting crap work or running good jobs badly, add thefts, bad organisation by you or your staff, even bad wagon driving can double your maintainance costs and extra fuel.

you will probably doing things the right way but not sorting the chaff out from the corn properly

Paddy - he saves me rakes of gear your correct , 13ft bases then 10ft lifts ha ha , he is out on the razzle today the northern let down i had to have the B & C team

Moanalot - allways made a profit supposedly based on the amount of corporation tax paid year in year out , no doubt you know bout that to !!!!!

Did you sell any gear up

( the great bit - no more sites now ...........................)
Yep corporation tax killed us and them tossers on site drove me mad...we sold half our kit to trad and to be honest we have still got loads more than we need but time will tell.Its always nice to see kit in the racks even if it never goes out...

---------- Post added at 10:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 PM ----------

if you look back you will probably find that % of workforce were ******* who didnt pull their weight, a % of clients were ******* aswell getting crap work or running good jobs badly, add thefts, bad organisation by you or your staff, even bad wagon driving can double your maintainance costs and extra fuel.

you will probably doing things the right way but not sorting the chaff out from the corn properly
You know this game well my friend...It must be the same for every firm...

Super - Yes you are correct , got rid of all the ***** now , only using grafters , the breed of men down this end is questionable , hence why il only use grafters like VLLB these days , we no longer give any of our men weekend work as they take the pis s (and thats the decent ones left)

Corporation tax --- the first bailiff that knocks on your door when you earn money ,

Moanalot - its strange we have 10 men now plus a few other partimers but we are still getting the work done and the yard is empty !!!

Super - Yes you are correct , got rid of all the ***** now , only using grafters , the breed of men down this end is questionable , hence why il only use grafters like VLLB these days , we no longer give any of our men weekend work as they take the pis s (and thats the decent ones left)

Corporation tax --- the first bailiff that knocks on your door when you earn money ,

Moanalot - its strange we have 10 men now plus a few other partimers but we are still getting the work done and the yard is empty !!!
big is definately not best...thats for sure and youre pocket will prove it...

You right there moanalot i know the game too well, which is probably why i struggle so much to get all pumped up raring to go anymore when i think of running a full on full time scaffolding company again, especially when you see what the prices of steel and boards are nowadays,

the old saying springs to mind " there are no friends in business" what it really means is like above i said chaff from corn " you have to be one hard nosed barsteward with everyone employees, clients, suppliers etc to really get on in business" especially in our type of business or industry.

which is a shame really as its only in the construction industry where so many people meet different people in different places on a daily basis

You right there moanalot i know the game too well, which is probably why i struggle so much to get all pumped up raring to go anymore when i think of running a full on full time scaffolding company again, especially when you see what the prices of steel and boards are nowadays,

the old saying springs to mind " there are no friends in business" what it really means is like above i said chaff from corn " you have to be one hard nosed barsteward with everyone employees, clients, suppliers etc to really get on in business" especially in our type of business or industry.

which is a shame really as its only in the construction industry where so many people meet different people in different places on a daily basis
Just done a temporary roof for a bloke (no design or step just good old knowhow) it came in at £9000 we told him £5000 upfront And £4000 when the roofs on...he didn't like it but that was the deal...3 years ago he would have got credit and probablly would have wriggled out of paying cos of some **** not doing the paper work correctly...This trade in the old days was run by nutters and everyone knew that if they didn't pay they would get a good hammereing...where did it all go wrong eh...

i posted in a thread ages ago on here , it was about getting paid, and i said on there what you needed to do , and dont say anything you not prepared to follow up, I tried doing everything right many moons ago no threats of violence no nothing if they didnt pay i put them in court, did me no good at all . I decided no more court im gonna do what I would of done normally before setting up business ( was bit of loon teenager to late 20s) I started knocking on peoples house doors who owed me with a mell hammer and a bat telling them 24hrs to pay or was gonna knock down their house with my hammer then smash them up with my bat. no one ever started paying me back 50p a week then they always got cash in full within 24hrs no matter how skint they were or pissed off with things.

Sounds harsh but its a fact half the people on this planet think its there mission to piss you off and push their luck

Very correct the courts dont work , cashflow is king - had enuff of allways being owed 100k plus and then every excuse goin to delay payment
Used factoring for a couple of years that worked well but didnt renew deal back in feb and paid them out , better off in control of me own destiny

i posted in a thread ages ago on here , it was about getting paid, and i said on there what you needed to do , and dont say anything you not prepared to follow up, I tried doing everything right many moons ago no threats of violence no nothing if they didnt pay i put them in court, did me no good at all . I decided no more court im gonna do what I would of done normally before setting up business ( was bit of loon teenager to late 20s) I started knocking on peoples house doors who owed me with a mell hammer and a bat telling them 24hrs to pay or was gonna knock down their house with my hammer then smash them up with my bat. no one ever started paying me back 50p a week then they always got cash in full within 24hrs no matter how skint they were or pissed off with things.

Sounds harsh but its a fact half the people on this planet think its there mission to piss you off and push their luck
Old skool...we were owed thousands by the big firms and no way could we get it legally...won't happen again...When you got the bailliffs knocking the door for unpaid tax when one of the big boys decide not to pay is no fun...Back to basics...simple...

Good luck for the future moanalot

I was trying to push my firm to be bigger, think I will just stay small-medium for now lads.
Seems like a lot less agro for not much more peanuts.

I was trying to push my firm to be bigger, think I will just stay small-medium for now lads.
Seems like a lot less agro for not much more peanuts.
It depends what ya want...If you like aggro push on but if you want money in ya pocket and full control stay as you are...

Suceeded in the 3 day week ! Its boring tho have to spend in the pub

Honestly guys 10 blokes is a good number , i wanted to be big player and was for 10 years but dont want it anymore just grif as the OP says

Anyway semi retired at 35 aint to sad

Dandaps unless you are a ruthless, penny pinching mudda fudda, this thread alone should be enough to convince you to stay happy stay small if you expand you lose your mind.

cashflow is king like scaffy says, also although factoring can be a good thing cashflow wise its another expense that needs catering for during your estimating you need to add that % on or lose it , either way your taking a small hit.

working for the big firms is all well and good but when the sh?t hits the fan who do you go looking for exactly , whereas the smaller companies and firms you know exactly who and where to look for them slap them about a bit get your money.

In my experience when people say they cant pay you, you can generally tell exactly which ones have actually had something happen and suddenly found themselves without the cash and are genuinely sorry they cannot pay you, these people probably represent approx 2% of your debtors and will try to sit down and work out a repayment plan with you, the other 98% are generally chancer,s who just want to do alsorts using other peoples money not giving a toss about anything or generally just people who love the chase an hassle of having you dangling on their pay strings wanting your cash, a quick slap about the head an ribs will save you court fees .

Find yourself enough good local firms to work for, enough good local lads to do the work, and you will get to know each other well enough to have a good hassle free working life , you get to know how they like their scaffolding they get to know how you work and things bob a long nicely for many years to come .

You have to try these things supa ! Yeh factoring is cheap its all the little extras that make it dear - breaches ect :)

Top Bottom