how and when did you get into the game..

offshorescaff

Reaction score
how did you all manage to get into the scaffolding game?was chatting to one of the boys about it outhere today.

started when i was 16 with GKN Mills on a Y.T.S scheme..it was either scaffolding or painting, ...and f""k pushing a brush about all my life..
after about 4 weeks in the yard promised myself i would get out of this sh"te game asap
27 years later....

i wouldt go to school so my old man took me scaffolding when i was 15 i loved it and still do over 30 years later , and my old man comes out the odd week with me know

I was 16 ,waiting to join the Paras as a junior soldier,my mum worked behind the bar in the local with a guy who was a scaff,he needed a temporary labourer and here we all are.

i got expelled from school just before the exams, i had big plans to do nothing much, my mum had other plans, she made my dad take me to work with him at a firm called tubitt in nottingham where he was safety officer after being a scaffolder for thirty years and had a bad fall, anyway i stuck it, found i was good at it, so tubitt sent me to bircham newton on the cecol course, my first weeks wage when i got back was £225.00 pounds after tax! 19 years later iv got my own firm living by the sea side, and scaffs elbow:)

was working for rumbelows the olde electrical company dont laugh.was on **** wage father got me into scaffolding first weeks wages 1987 was £290 clear for a scaffolders
m8.think the moneys the same now lol.

brought up in the building game , used to be impressed with asshole scaffolders and the reputation that went with it plus got kicked out of school at 15 and started on a site labouring (my dad was the agent) went from there was ment to go on an apprentiship with Plant and tools (27.50 per week) that fell through as was height of ressesion ... then went from there .....................

Finished school on a Wednesday with 5 O levels and 4 CSC's had a day off on the Thursday, and started with a company called Anglesey scaffolding on the Friday. Never been out of work for one day since.My old man started our company in 1988. After doing my c.e.c.o.l. course in 87-88 gang S60 with anglesey scaff I gained some experience with a couple of other local firms in north and mid Wales. I joined my old man ( who when he started had enough gear to do a 26' X 2 lifts high job with old doors as the public protection on the bottom lift.)in 92, and took over the running of the company in 98 when he was taken ill. Now running five gangs and looking forward to the good times returni... to start lol.

thats just the thing with this job,it was a pain to get into,(beastings)then you try to get out of it for the rest of your life.:bigsmile:eek:nce a scaff,always a scaff.it wont let you go.:D

thats just the thing with this job,it was a pain to get into,(beastings)then you try to get out of it for the rest of your life.:bigsmile:eek:nce a scaff,always a scaff.it wont let you go.:D

unless youve got an ecitb ticket and nasc spoil it ankwers

Left school on the Friday at 17, started on SGB the next Tuesday on the YTS and 25 years later here I am...........still on the YTS ha ha

Don't kick me off the Forum lads
but I started off as an apprentice Bricky :eek:, from School at 15 years old the forman was a right old bar steward and decided to make my life hell,granted I had a lot of attitude back then, I took it for about 18 month and then put the old **** in hospital for a couple of days. Instant dismisal. Had about another 18 month on the pisch and fornicating this was in the mid 60s life was fun then :D

Got my act together at 18 and got a start for Mills Scaffold through lads I knew from on site back in the bricky days.It felt like I had come home,I thought I was a hard case, until I met some of the lunatics that were the scaffolders of the day.Hard men but the real Mc Coy, once you had proved yourself you were in. The rest as they say is history, Happy Days

SGB loved the YTS scheme they had around 20 on a job in London bridge in the late 80s , podgers and bands and plates falling every day

i spent the my first 5 years with B+P and DHs loved them, never could work out why they phased them out.

how did you all manage to get into the scaffolding game?was chatting to one of the boys about it outhere today.

started when i was 16 with GKN Mills on a Y.T.S scheme..it was either scaffolding or painting, ...and f""k pushing a brush about all my life..
after about 4 weeks in the yard promised myself i would get out of this sh"te game asap
27 years later....

Started setting fittings out for my Dad at 12 weekends and school hols loved it !! Worked on the rope & wheel for SGB on gatwick aiport at 14/15 ish (1995/95)
Finished school friday hemping long monday !!
The picture is of me on the Maths Block Manchester early 90's (SGB)

Please no comments on the pose !!!!

Attachments

• red viking.jpg
    red viking.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 35
Don't kick me off the Forum lads
but I started off as an apprentice Bricky :eek:, from School at 15 years old the forman was a right old bar steward and decided to make my life hell,granted I had a lot of attitude back then, I took it for about 18 month and then put the old **** in hospital for a couple of days. Instant dismisal. Had about another 18 month on the pisch and fornicating this was in the mid 60s life was fun then :D

Got my act together at 18 and got a start for Mills Scaffold through lads I knew from on site back in the bricky days.It felt like I had come home,I thought I was a hard case, until I met some of the lunatics that were the scaffolders of the day.Hard men but the real Mc Coy, once you had proved yourself you were in. The rest as they say is history, Happy Days

found a picture of you as a brickie pal lol !!

Attachments

• brickies.jpg
    brickies.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 23
keep that picture red viking be worth a fortune years to come with the single handrails
that can go in riggers new book.lol

Top Bottom