Housing Stock U.K.

Rigger

Reaction score
Housing shortage in UK (picked up off the BBC news site and adapted)

What would you do to alleviate the crisis?

For me ………..

2) Freestyle planning stops the tree huggers, and NIMBY’s, from obstructing planning applications

6) Guarantee mortgage payments reduce the deposit to 5% max, and underwrite any mortgage defaulters with a government backed insurance scheme.

8) Build more council homes we have been under building for the past 40 years, now is the time, with the building industry on it,s knee’s, to inject £billions into a national house building programme.

House’s ,Flats and maisonettes to be built as “private” residences model, not as sprawling “council estates” of the past. New Building “Projects” to include a full infrastructure of Schools, libraries, swimming pools, parks, football pitches, cinemas, theatres.

Retain say 50% of the housing stock for renting, sell the other 50% as privately owned property. The leisure facilities could be run by the local council or let/sold to private businesses

9) Increase Council Tax 30% on Empty/Vacant properties. This would get the owners of vacant properties to let at a lower rent and more quickly.

Below are 8 suggestions, from bbc.co.uk , pick and mix at will, or add your own remedy

1) Encourage the elderly out of big houses

Campaigners say single people should also move out of large homes
One solution is to free up family housing by offering elderly people tax breaks to move into smaller homes, says one pressure group. The Intergenerational Foundation says more than a third of the housing stock is under-occupied, which means they have at least two spare bedrooms.

2) Freestyle planning

The government's proposed reform of the planning laws in England has generated much debate and attracted the anger of many groups, including the National Trust and the Campaign to Protect Rural England. Ministers want councils to adopt a "presumption in favour of sustainable development", making it harder for officials to reject proposals.
Proposed changes to the planning laws have raised concerns about Britain's green belt
Steve Turner, a spokesman for the Home Builders Federation, says the planning system has been an obstacle for growth for years. "For decades the planning system has not been delivering enough land to meet the housing needs of our population," he says.

3) Contain population growth

The number of households in England is projected to increase from 21.7m in 2008 to 27.5m by 2033, an increase of 5.8m or 27%. Over the same period, figures are projected to rise from 1.3m to 1.6m in Wales, and from 688,700 to 880,400 in Northern Ireland. The number of households in Scotland is projected to rise from 2.3m to 2.8m between 2008 and 2033 - an increase of 21%.Demand for housing is set to rise "There's been a remarkable silence on the impact of migration on housing demand," says Sir Andrew Green, chairman of Migration Watch.
Citing the government's figures, he argues that more than a third of new households in England in the next 25 years will be the result of immigration. Even if house building were to increase by 25%, there would still be a shortage of 800,000 homes by 2033, the organisation claims.

4) Force landlords to sell or let empty properties

There are nearly one million empty homes in the UK, and 350,000 of them have been empty for more than six months.
Turning them into liveable homes could make a massive difference, says David Ireland, chief executive of the Empty Homes Agency. "If you could suddenly build 350,000 homes you wouldn't sniff at that. So those empty properties are worth having."

5) Ban second homes

In some parts of Britain holiday homes account for a substantial proportion of the housing stock. About one in 20 households across Cornwall is a second home and owners receive a council tax discount. There's a fundamental unfairness in the fact that there's no penalty on owning a second home, says Monbiot. "Why are they doing this? We should be rewarding social good."
About 13,500 properties in Cornwall are second homes

6) Guarantee mortgage payments

In these difficult economic times, a lack of mortgage availability is the short-term constraint on development, say house builders.
"If people can't buy, builders can't build," says Steve Turner from the Home Builders Federation.
Most first-time buyers need a large deposit to buy a home
Ways need to be found to encourage mortgage lenders to lend on terms that people can afford, he argues. The best way of doing this is for the government, house builders and mortgage lenders to club together to fund an insurance scheme that would underwrite mortgages where the lender defaults. Talks are in progress but these are complex negotiations, he admits.

7) Live with extended family

The general trend is for more people to live on their own rather than with a big family. But in southern European countries, such as Italy, it is much more common for families to live cheek-by-jowl.
It is not always one big happy family when generations move in together
By following this model of grandparents, children and grandchildren all living under one roof, the housing stock would be more efficiently distributed. In 2008 the Skipton Building Society predicted numbers following this model would triple over the following 20 years from 75,000 to 200,000 people.
Several generations often have no choice but to squeeze into the one home to keep costs down. And the UK has its own "boomerang" generation, where young people have to move back home because they cannot afford to get on the property ladder. But where there is a choice, most people would prefer a more private and comfortable living arrangement.

8) Build more council homes

Council homes have been part of British society for more than a century, from the "homes for heroes" cottages that were built in the wake of World War I to the much-maligned, monolithic high rises of the 60s and 70s.
But the "right-to-buy" phenomenon, started by Margaret Thatcher's Conservative government in 1979, led to a massive depletion in council housing stock, with more than two million tenants taking advantage of the scheme. And the building of council houses to let has almost died off, sending waiting lists through the roof.

Government figures show nearly 168,000 local authority homes were built across the UK in 1950, 88,530 in 1980 and 17,710 in 1990. In 2000, just 280 were built and in 2010, the figure was 1,320.

Last edited:
For me and the majority of young people, the current rates of deposit needed are preventing people from owning their own homes. I currently rent with my partner at a amount similar to the mortgage that we would be paying, yet we need £15,000 - £20,000 before we can even start thinking about buying our first home.

I know a lot of people will be thinking that I should just be happy to have a job etc. but is it really that much to ask to just be able to own a house?

For me and the majority of young people, the current rates of deposit needed are preventing people from owning their own homes. I currently rent with my partner at a amount similar to the mortgage that we would be paying, yet we need £15,000 - £20,000 before we can even start thinking about buying our first home.

I know a lot of people will be thinking that I should just be happy to have a job etc. but is it really that much to ask to just be able to own a house?

Im the same..in the boom time here they were giving out 100% mortgages but that stopped..the problem is most are been reposessed or have fallen into arears coz the cuts in wages and were at a fixed rate of 1200-1400 per month..the banks wnt look at you unless you have savings of at least 10% of your mortgage..very hard to do if your renting on top of saving:(

Im the same..in the boom time here they were giving out 100% mortgages but that stopped..the problem is most are been reposessed or have fallen into arears coz the cuts in wages and were at a fixed rate of 1200-1400 per month..the banks wnt look at you unless you have savings of at least 10% of your mortgage..very hard to do if your renting on top of saving:(

I can see why 100% mortgages have been stopped as that was completely irresponsible but if lenders reduced the minimum deposit rate to 5% it would make a massive difference to first time buyer and the banks would still be getting a fair chunk in advance.

I know this sounds harsh, but a I bet a of people who have lost their homes were massively over stretching themselves even before jobs were lost or wages reduced.

We seem to be living in a culture where everybody wants everything right now and are prepared to get it at any cost!

I can see why 100% mortgages have been stopped as that was completely irresponsible but if lenders reduced the minimum deposit rate to 5% it would make a massive difference to first time buyer and the banks would still be getting a fair chunk in advance.

I know this sounds harsh, but a I bet a of people who have lost their homes were massively over stretching themselves even before jobs were lost or wages reduced.

We seem to be living in a culture where everybody wants everything right now and are prepared to get it at any cost!

Very irresponsible by the banks..a lot of young people jumped at the chance of 100% mortgages..boils down to greed on behalf of the banks and this is what put them up sh1t creek in the end..i agree with you about over stretching aswell because in the 'good times' i was driving a fancy car going on expensive holidays too..do i regret it..not 1 bit..they wouldnt of been the good times if we didnt enjoy them..;)

it is not the percentage of a deposit that is the real problem. It is the total price of the property.The government would have us believe that it is "market forces" that determine the price of a property.

When it is in fact the banks and mortgage lenders that control the selling/buying prices of property.Let me try to explain..........

I have a house on the market for say £200,000, I find a buyer at that price and off he pops to get a morrtgage. The lender informs him that they value the house at only £160,000 ( he fulfils all the other financial checks) and will only lend him that amount.He tries a few more lenders and they all say the same and will only lend £160,000.

If I keep my asking price at £200,000, I now know that anyone requiring a mortage to buy my property (90% of 1st time buyers, and most people upgrading) will not get a mortgage........So the TRUE saleable value of my house is £160,000

The banks mortgage lenders make thier profits from the AMOUNT of money they lend,and the interest charged on that amount, so it is in thier interest to have a valuation as HIGH as possible.

This is the way house prices have escalated over the years

it is not the percentage of a deposit that is the real problem. It is the total price of the property.The government would have us believe that it is "market forces" that determine the price of a property.

When it is in fact the banks and mortgage lenders that control the selling/buying prices of property.Let me try to explain..........

I have a house on the market for say £200,000, I find a buyer at that price and off he pops to get a morrtgage. The lender informs him that they value the house at only £160,000 ( he fulfils all the other financial checks) and will only lend him that amount.He tries a few more lenders and they all say the same and will only lend £160,000.

If I keep my asking price at £200,000, I now know that anyone requiring a mortage to buy my property (90% of 1st time buyers, and most people upgrading) will not get a mortgage........So the TRUE saleable value of my house is £160,000

The banks mortgage lenders make thier profits from the AMOUNT of money they lend,and the interest charged on that amount, so it is in thier interest to have a valuation as HIGH as possible.

This is the way house prices have escalated over the years

??? that doesn't make sense.
so why wouldn't they lend the buyer the £200000?
The reason being, the house is not worth it and should the buyer default on the loan the bank will be stuck with a house they cannot sell for it is overvalued,
the housing market is like any other market it is all about supply and demand it is as simple as that.

jackdan

"The banks mortgage lenders make thier profits from the AMOUNT of money they lend,and the interest charged on that amount, so it is in thier interest to have a valuation as HIGH as possible.
so why wouldn't they lend the buyer the £200000?"

They would gladly lend the £200,000, and push up the debt and interest charged

The point of this example was to show banks and other lenders have a vested interest at inflating house valuations and not curbing the prices at a TRUE VALUATION.

They control the market prices and as such the house would on re-sale in the event of default still be worth thier (lenders) market value

over population is a problem that will get worse. i wouldnt expect the authorities to manage this . natural causes, desease, warfare will prevail.

2 Months ago Linden homes started offering 100% mortages direct through them. They seem to believe cutting out the banks will bypass this problem.. Time will tell..

Linden Homes is a subsidiary of the Galliford Try Group, one of the UK leading construction companies with a Group annual turnover of £1200 million.

jackdan

"The banks mortgage lenders make thier profits from the AMOUNT of money they lend,and the interest charged on that amount, so it is in thier interest to have a valuation as HIGH as possible.
so why wouldn't they lend the buyer the £200000?"

They would gladly lend the £200,000, and push up the debt and interest charged

The point of this example was to show banks and other lenders have a vested interest at inflating house valuations and not curbing the prices at a TRUE VALUATION.

They control the market prices and as such the house would on re-sale in the event of default still be worth thier (lenders) market value

Unless theyre anticipating houses to drop further in value. If good times return,they may fall over themselves to giv you more.

I did notice a return to the 100% mortgage only the one I saw was looking for maw and paw to underwrite it for the young uns so maybe not quite a return to pre recession levels. I'm also very unsure if I would like to see a return even although the lack of first time buyers has all but killed off most new private homes round my way as no one is buying existing homes to allow older more established families to move on. The reason being, the 100 or even 120% mortgage was a large contributing factor to the current state of affairs, admittedly the worst of it came from America but all our financial institutions jumped on the gravy train even although it was obviously never sustainable. Younger people always look a bit envious when I tell them I bought my first house for 36k at a time when my mates were buying flats at 18-20k. What I don't usually tell them was I lodged with the in-laws and lived like a monk working every hour I could to save up 10k for a big enough deposit to allow me access to a descent mortgage product that I could afford. This took some time for a country boy earning a fiver an hour but as has been touched on in previous posts, I think most but not all are completely unable or unwilling to sacrifice anything to achieve a longer term goal. The working man's dream is still alive and kicking and well within reach for all in our industry, you just need a plan on how to get it and stick with it.

your spot on aom i was working for £200 per week 7 days a week to save up and get a deposit for a mortgage that was back in 91/2
although i only paid 36k for my first house, it was still hard to get and you HAD to work for it.
oh and i needed 10 % deposit
what people don't realise the 100% mortgage was only available for approx 5 year from only a hand full of lenders so it is wrong to say this was to blame, i got a 125% mortgage for the house i have now with only six more year to go, it was people living above their means what also helped for the sh1t to hit the fan.

It is the bankers and lenders that control the market

With the downturn in the economy over the past 4/5 years and the stagnation in the housing market,house selling prices should have fallen by 20%.
The banks will not allow this to happen as they have £billions tied up in over valued properties in mortgages/money they have advanced over the past 10/15 years.

The bankers are ruling the western capitalist world,They have got rid of the elected leader of Greece as he would not play ball,feck sake who needs Refferendums, letting the "people" have a say in thier lives.The next target is to be Italy with Portugal and Eire next in line if they do not do as they are told

Rigger, did you watch that Go Greek for a Week? Very interesting.

its the top 1 percent of society round the world tht run the banks and markets and everything else POWER TO THE PEOPLE f~ck nwo
:suspicious:

blaming banks is jumping on the bandwagon ; people should take more responsibility themslves, . it seems stupid to pass the buck and blame whoever, council, banks, government.

I blame everyone but me, cos its never my fault its always someone elses :laugh::laugh:

Years ago at school in history lesson , my teacher was on about wars and battles, he said countries and governments love a good war, they have done for centuries, and you know why they like a good war, because of money, yes wars cost mega bucks but they generate more .

we have been at war or in battle for over 10 yrs in Iraq, Afganistan, Lybia and probably Iran before long, over 10 yrs costing billions of pounds , Obviously the world was gonna run out of cash sooner or later . But the rebuilding of the middle east will generate excellent business opportunities, modern infrastructure, modern construction of buildings possibly whole cities even, generating trillions of pounds back into the worldwide economy ?????????

Fcuk me my mind gone blank fcukin spannered cant remember what the fcuk i was saying there like :eek:

Top Bottom