Hiab or roll on roll off

is it easy enough to work off the back of a wagon with a roro or what ever the fek there called or would it need to be dropped ? i know the 18 tonners are a cant to work of nice 8ft board on tail light does the trick thow

is it easy enough to work off the back of a wagon with a roro or what ever the fek there called or would it need to be dropped ? i know the 18 tonners are a cant to work of nice 8ft board on tail light does the trick thow

The body sits even higher with a ro-ro system, so a bit more awkward to work directly off the back. That would be defeating the object tho' - drop the body and get the wagon away to pick up or deliver another one - keep the wagon rolling and the scaffs grafting :D

You might stand half a chance with the cable lift as the angle on the hook loaders is quite scary when your shifting gear.

I had this debate with a builder who laughed when he saw I paid a lot of cash for a fair size of hiab with a remote as he had invested quite heavily in these hook loaders. I stood and watch his men throw in all sorts of gear in all sorts of order till finally it resembled a tin of spaghetti but worse was to come when the driver tried to lift it and the gear fell to the back in unison and nearly came out the back.

I suppose it depends on the type of work you do most but for me it's a hiab and getting the gear straight into gardens on council work is a god send, the labourers love it.

Cheers lads, I was thinking the hiab way was for me before I stated the thread.

How do you manage if you've got multi drops with it though Al.?

Multi drops are easier to handle with the crane than the hook loader, sometimes the return loads can resemble kerplunk but it gets it back to the yard. We don't do many multi drops, if the wee truck can handle it we just send that.

a fella i no work 4 parmers 4twenty odd years parmers use roll offs one day he was seein the trialer off the cable snaped the trailer and 18 ton off gear hit him he lost a foot and one of his kidneys he was lucky fook roll offs

That is pretty extreme, I agree fook roll off's but if the cable snapped it was because lack of maintenance, a hiabb would fall off the back of a truck if it was not maintained correctly.

i all so no a driver sluin the hiab to un load gear he droped thegear the hiab moved trapped his hand lost a finger your right aom maintence but the lads dont no that do thay

Hook loaders are done using hydraulics marra but you get a cable version that reduces the angle of the lift to allow you to be a bit more versatile. Most scaffs use cable lifts for that reason.

how do you load you wagon them aom with the hiab? boards in packs of 50? and then every thing in stillages?

There is a company out there who manufacture the roll on/off bodies with a proper tailgate so nothing can fall off, so doesn't matter the angle of the load i think Aerial scaffolding used to have them!

how do you load you wagon them aom with the hiab? boards in packs of 50? and then every thing in stillages?

Yes, we band the boards on site but try to avoid doing too much with tube as the first time we did there were tubes flying out like torpedo's the first doen hill breaking corner we came to.:eek:

We sussed it out a bit better now and just sling it and lash it a bit better.

There is a company out there who manufacture the roll on/off bodies with a proper tailgate so nothing can fall off, so doesn't matter the angle of the load i think Aerial scaffolding used to have them!

The box this guy had was a solid back door, still didn't stop the load shifting it was a right mess. They tell me the ones who can lash the load to hooks sunk in the bed is the best bet but for me, I will stick with the crane.

The body sits even higher with a ro-ro system, so a bit more awkward to work directly off the back. That would be defeating the object tho' - drop the body and get the wagon away to pick up or deliver another one - keep the wagon rolling and the scaffs grafting :D

Exactly it is a pretty handy system if you've got a lot of gear to move around.

Cable lifts are rubbish

Steve at palmers will confirm that

We had a crane lorry but the driver was crap,and to be honest you will need a massive crane if you have a long bed to lift the weight.depending on what still ages you use (more cost) will depend
On how much you get on the wagon. If your cranes not big enough you will be blowing seals all the time and there's a good chance you will need 2decent blokes to load stillaged kit left on site (quite difficult to land on the bed on your own) also be careful if you load the kit with a forklift in the yard the forklift don't lift more than the crane or you won't get it off the other end. Then their is the slings or chains. If you use slings you will need to have a lot of them cos the slightest rip (and they will) they will be scrap. Chains you will need a chain testers cert that you will have to produce to the goons on site and have them tested regularly to make sure they haven't stretched or the hooks are safe. Now as your man said how will the slinger stand on the back of the wagon (bulls hit h&s) you will need handrail or airbags. Give it some thought they are good in the right hands but with hindsight I would opt for roll on roll off every time for shifting big loads.

Top Bottom