hemping over the handrail

These safety rules are becoming a joke! Some are for best no doubt! But then they create different safety issues. We've had to put in single handrails for brickies, in case they fall into the building their trying to build, hat means their not using the inside board meaning more strain on their body, reaching over the guard rail?, this trade is becoming a joke when will It stop!

These safety rules are becoming a joke! Some are for best no doubt! But then they create different safety issues. We've had to put in single handrails for brickies, in case they fall into the building their trying to build, hat means their not using the inside board meaning more strain on their body, reaching over the guard rail?, this trade is becoming a joke when will It stop!

Totally agree with you on all points except the last one ..... it became a joke a few years back :D

Thankfully , this step malarkey has not really affected us yet as we are a very small local firm and we got out of the Building site trade about 8 - 10 years ago when it was becoming evident that Scaffolders were being used as scapegoats for the Construction industry with regards to working at height . You don`t become a Scaffolder if you can`t work in a safe manner at height and we have all had years of experience/training from proven scaffolders ( most of whom have never seen a Scaffolders card or had any formal training , but , have miraculously survived this so called death trap of a trade ) before we are let out on our own .

I agree with some of the changes to health and safety , but , for the most part - they are trying to solve a problem that did not exist in the first place. It won`t be long before we need a scaffold in place to put up a feckin scaffold.

There was nothing wrong with the good old milk-crate i used to use to put a big lift in over the front door`s.Can`t recall needing any training to use 1 of them.The game`s f-cked now,to many lardy-arses in their offices,thinking about the next set of rules/legislation.Scaff-Step my arse.

kier will let me use a milk crate BUT i had to have ply attached doubled up so as to stop the amazing foot through the crate trick where your foot goes through the plastic and gets stuck

Im surprised you dont have to attach a Handrail around the milk crate? lol.

What if you cable tie your feet to the milk crates, is this then classed as a mobile scaffold

Put the handrail on the OUTSIDE of the scaffold , see if that goes down well ....

kier have said we are not to hemp over the hr when using the scaff step system ...... i say its only the hemps on the ends off the step then the intermediates off the boarded lift and over the handrail .....
opinions would be good but sg 4. 10 quotes would be better as proof ....

i havent got the booklet for a couple of weeks yet and the combisafe literature does not show me
( it seems to pretend there are no hemps lol )

thanks

I haven't got the book in front of me so no quotes I'm afraid but I don't put in any hemps from the step, even the end one's. I just hang the rail from the last standard above the lift, if it's a paddy it will be caught twice and more than enough to keep them at bay till you get up there to bang in the rest of your toppers. I will try and get you a couple of quotes but not tonight, they should have their own copy anyway.

a fella tried with a milk crate on each foot tied then found out he couldn't pick any fittings up off the deck so idea was discarded

update on the kier that now we have all been through the comprehensive kier red tops it doesn't mention hemping over the handrail ....so now my preferred method is just the ends with a smaller hemp and we do put the double hand rail in as we go .....
works quite well

thats the type of nonsense i would expect to read in a book - in the real world the ground isn't allways flat and heights differ per elevation, on site obstacle sometimes dont allow certain leghth or height of tube-

i always advise to put a small hemp tube in which will catch the H/R on the next lift - heypresto no need for the step or to top over the handrail -;)simples

Bang on Southern,i always keep a few butts handy myself for situations like that.

Have always been taught 300mm to node on a hemp.

If you use the step you should not hemp from it.

So you either have to work out high hemps so you lean against the rail or low ones so you hemp over the rail.

Either is not only dangerous but also puts extra strain on the body.

Its not a case of who is big & strong the danger comes when you have poor experienced scaffolders under taking this sort of practice.

We use the sliding rail method. Slide the rail to the point of the hemp & install the tube as we have all our working lives. Then progress the rail past this point. Whilst working on the boarded lift not a tea tray.

Ragscaff

We use the sliding rail method. Slide the rail to the point of the hemp & install the tube as we have all our working lives. Then progress the rail past this point. Whilst working on the boarded lift not a tea tray.

Ragscaff

try using the saftey line method as per the booklet-ur still clipped on but theres no H/R in the way :bigsmile:

Top Bottom