Have I lost touch?

porter

Reaction score
Started 2 new men after new year both with part 2 tickets! First part of week just striking and seemed ok! Today sent them to a 3 sider going up for temp roof! Front is 1 lift of a flat roof and side and back normal 18ft to gutter! Told them to erect the 3 sides and board and rail at gutter height then hemp it for roof and run a lift round it! They started at 9.30 and when I picked them up at 4.30 they had it up to gutter height and boarded but not hand railed and told me I was expecting to much in a day! Am I ?

I've been paying them £115.00 a day each on cis! I feel that is fair but maybe I'm wrong! Always niggles me if I've lost touch with what I pay and expect in a day running my own business!

Why did they start at 9:30? You should want them starting at 7:30/8 if you ask me. And I don't feel you have asked to much from them.

Based in harrow but job in reading hence the late start!

Ooohhhhh harrow down the road from me, I'm on the harrow road small world lol

And I'm not by any means having ago port but if I agree a day rate before hand I'd still work as fair is fair but there are many a scaff that will think yep that's enough I've covered my £££ and prod along its wrong but does happen mate

---------- Post added at 01:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 AM ----------

Southeast doesnt pay the same as London.

Sorry I meant surrounding home counties ie essex kent which apart from the coast its pretty similar matt

If they don't like the day rate then put them on a price, they won't like that but ****'em. Loads of ***** out there moaning about pay, see how they like it when you stand about doing **** all when it starts raining at midday.

---------- Post added at 01:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 AM ----------

Sorry I meant surrounding home counties ie essex kent which apart from the coast its pretty similar matt

I'm in Essex. You'll struggle to get a decent price on a square around here, to many idiots undercutting on price and slapping up a load of old ****. I'm struggling to push 60 a square here, if I go up Bow I can get a 100 a square with easy.

I work for an essex firm bobby and to a certain degree it is true cause most lads dont really wanna make the effort. Im a basic scaff who has hgv and I get 140 a day. I work for a firm in Wickford essex. As for £100 a day for a part 2 well each to their own I suppose

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Pay should reflect how good/productive a scaffolder is. Part two/advanced is got f@ck all to do with it. You're only asking them to go round a house.

Seems now most of the grafters are a dying breed now stonedrose and I have always said a ticket doesn't make a grafter and with these fast track training schools out there you can have all 3 tickets in 12 months on the seacol programme well you use to be able too but not sure if this training programme is still out there.
There was an old saying if you don't have your money in for dinner ya not worth a whank coming home with steam coming of your ears seems to be a myth now

---------- Post added at 07:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 AM ----------

well spotted hswt missed that one mind you though on the recovery from a swift gallon last night with a sore noggin

Temp roof was advanced stuff years ago. How can they read the drawing if only basic?

Your right there fred if your using t+f. But nowsdays you can go to haki on a basic card and do a weeks course on erecting a temp roof. Which in my eyes in bolllox cos the more companies send lads on these courses on basic cards mean the wages will get less the good grafters and experienced lads.

What difference does it make what ticket the have if they aint capable of throwing that up they aint worth £80 a day, by 9.30 they should be on the 2nd lift not just getting out the lorry

On the temp roof bit a certain large system designer who makes us get our cards endorsed to put their sh1te up actually stated that for their rolling temp roof as it wasnt covered on their course you were actually covered by reading the booklet and refering to manufacturers instructions...... so we fixed 230 ft of it without the rolling part and that was perfectly fine yet we werent allowed to do a 8ft independent 1 lift :push:

As for those men mate, give them the benefit of the doubt as sometimes the stars just dont allign but let them know the footage matters and you hope they put in an honest days graft,you will then see there character and hopefully everyones a winner

Last edited:
Top Bottom