hangers

marra watson

Reaction score
how many lift can you go down with a hanger ? i was talking about this the other day am presuming it would only be 5 or 6 lifts probbly rong my theory behind it is if it was say 13ft dropper of 6 doubble check of course there surly is a limit to how much thoses 6 doubbles can take and i see it as 6.25kn (just doubble checked it and they seem to have wetn up by .15 fort they were 6.1) any how 6.25 x 6=37.5 kn so 3.5 tonne can be loaded on to these doubbles safely so how many lifts at 13 coudl you go down adropper to ?

Been down loads of lifts and to be honest no one bothered too much with the extra check fittings required, just keep dropping paddy's down, tie it in and you are away. There is a few threads on extra checks or supplementary fittings required but each one half's in value as you use it so eventually they are useless anyway.

Been down loads of lifts and to be honest no one bothered too much with the extra check fittings required, just keep dropping paddy's down, tie it in and you are away. There is a few threads on extra checks or supplementary fittings required but each one half's in value as you use it so eventually they are useless anyway.

i rember reading the threa on the checks. maby a case of singlarly there safe working load is 6.25 it hasnt been this for long has it i fort it was 6.1? but collectavly ov x amount of lenght it worth maby 10 time it own value sure alan or the likes will know maby eevn twist me tash off

i rember reading the threa on the checks. maby a case of singlarly there safe working load is 6.25 it hasnt been this for long has it i fort it was 6.1? but collectavly ov x amount of lenght it worth maby 10 time it own value sure alan or the likes will know maby eevn twist me tash off

To be honest marra, any hanger I saw or built was just done using single checks but the oil and gas industry is a bit of a law unto it's own.

Best thing to do if asked to do a hanger is RUN marra :laugh::laugh:

wouldnt mind getting me hand on yan marra think i could beat it in to submission :laugh:

---------- Post added at 09:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 PM ----------

To be honest marra, any hanger I saw or built was just done using single checks but the oil and gas industry is a bit of a law unto it's own.

aye its ort its only goign to drop in to water n board will keep it aflot till it needs striped lol

haha, seen a few and some didn't sink.:eek:

We did one on the knob in Liverpool. It was 3x10ft drops, went from 3 droppers to 2 to 1 on last drop, good job but loads in it. Suppose u could go 10 lifts that way but would end up in a cage at top.

its like asking how high can you go
it all depends on what you are hanging from as in the end it is this that really takes the weight.
alan reade this has your name written all over it ;)

yea but you hanging from a doubble still arnt ya hopefull alan can give us some idea lol

yes but when you drop again it transfers to another double
i have personally hung down 60 foot with one checker on the top of all the droppers.nowadays you will have a drawing for it.
there are other ways to take the weight away like tieing back up with rakers,or using rigging etc so as i say all depends on the job ;)

How long is a piece of string?
There are numerous conditions and limitations that will affect the answer to your question.

In the right configuration there may be no limit to how far you can hang but in general the issue will come down to individual component strength. This may not be limited to the scaffold but should also include the supporting structure (building).

To start I would draw attention to a basic misunderstanding or inexpression:
There is a difference between a check coupler and a supplementary coupler.
A supplementary coupler is there to increase the capacity of an existing coupler which would be overloaded i.e., if the load to be supported is greater then one coupler at 6.1kN a single coupler would be insufficient, thus a second or subsequent supplementary coupler/s are added to attain the desired load capacity.
A Check Coupler is a backup coupler used, for instance on the top or bottom of a hanging tube as a safety backup where should the fitting supporting the load fail there would be a coupler above or below to restrain the load.

Given the information above the assumption that 6 times the fitting capacity would equal the allowable load would be incorrect. I may be up to 5 times the fitting load but the 6th fitting would again always be a check coupler.

The easiest way to keep dropping is to connect to the guardrails next to the standards/droppers above, if connected to the two rails and ledger would give you a two fitting capacity at each drop. This can be repeated to attain the desired level. The difficulty is that you only get a couple of lift with each drop and a as a result the weight go’s up rapidly.
That said the weakest like is still most likely to be at the top. If attached to an alloy beam you may find the shear load is inadequate or equally if hanging off a cantilevered beam on a roof the supporting structure may be overloaded.

Hangers have always been design structures and should remain so.
You may build an identical hanger several times on different buildings and the scaffold would remain constant however as I have said it may not be the scaffold that is inadequate.

Hope this is of help
regards
Alan

Last edited:
each one half's in value as you use it so eventually they are useless anyway.

I asked an engineer this and he said NO.. its the same strength each time..... 6.1, 6.1, 6.1 etc ...sooooo what is the truth...

Or if you have a meaty sgb mk3 or class b ..its something like 9.0 kn each time..

Last edited:
Most we accomplished was 40ft on Curtain Wall in boilers no design just Scaffs Knowledge any comebacks im sure wed been down the road.

In same breath we worked to als spec Handrails attatch droppers.

Last edited:
could you not just put more beams and droppers out? sure then eventually it would be the building that will give first?

I built a Hanger off the edge of the Empire State Building last week... 2 handed, Saturday morning job.
Pulled up the gear on a lightline and then dropped down 87 floors.

Just Sleeved onto the Droppers - without Splicing.
It was ok though as we sruck it on the ground after it slipped out the Sleeve! :p

Last edited:
Na mate.
Was told: "Just get up there and slap it up!"

Only real risk was that Frank111 was tieing the gear off. :eek:

I asked an engineer this and he said NO.. its the same strength each time..... 6.1, 6.1, 6.1 etc ...sooooo what is the truth...

Or if you have a meaty sgb mk3 or class b ..its something like 9.0 kn each time..

I would say the engineer, what do I know. Still think they reduce in value but leave it to the designers.

Top Bottom