handrail

If I remember right though the stop ends should be on load bearing fittings.

Yes they do encourage this as it holds the scaffold together much stronger, it's recommended on jobs which have monoflex or debris netting on as in high winds, in theory, it could pull the outside of the scaffold away from the inside if its only on singles.

Don't see anyone doing it though :eek:h:

Always used double's on handrails when they were single,then when the double handrail came along just followed that double's would be used

Only used single's for walkways and stairs to prevent snag hazard's

any h&s man asking for sinlges instead of doubles on any handrail except acces handrails eg office block handrails is a hypocondriach all handrails are supposed to be load bearing to stop accidental falls , thnerefore should be capable of impact loading simple as that

I would ask a couple of simple questions:
If it's not there to take load, why do you think it is there?

Of course guard rail is load bearing, there is a whole code relating to Barriers in and about buildings it's BS6180 this details dimensions and loading requirements for all such barriers and yes they do apply to scaffoling.

Second question:
would you want to clip your harness to single?
Check the loading requirements for impact from fall restraint!!
regards
Alan

would you want to clip your harness to single?
Check the loading requirements for impact from fall restraint!!

Haha, no! But for a skinny runt like me I'm sure I'd have the same force as a small bag of sugar falling off the edge :blink:

Another thing to throw in there, I believe you can use the handrails to help spread the sleeves across different bays for more strength... though of course they would all have to be on doubles for this to work!

Think we're all agreed anyway.

May as well join in. :wondering::When was it decided that guard rails were load bearing? Singles been around eons before harnesses were dreamed of.:wondering: If youre clipped to a handrail with singles and fell,what would happen?

Handrail slip a little maybe,snap in half,yur avin laugh,:D

Doubles every time. Even more so with the use of Scaff Steps for Advanced Guardrail...

I know a man who has designed a fitting for staircases which has a smooth edge to prevent it from snagging ppl, it is load bearing however not tried or tested. Anybody know the steps to take to make this for use and get me a cut of the milliond he will earn from it......its a great idea!!!! can be used on working platforms to :)

Top Bottom