handrail

clarkey

Reaction score
do you use singles on handrail or doubles??

only ask as handrail is not load bearing, and H.S.E up are way prefer singles so there is no thread to catch you on the lift.

any thoughts

no mention of singles in TG20 mate all doubles or swivels

best practice and all that ****!

I have used clips on handrails loads of times, often at the request of a safety officer or site agent, and usually where its site office access

Doubles.

• A. Its easier to put the handrail in.
  • B. Its not load bearing, but people will be leaning on it, as well as leaning stuff against it, most of the day...

Singles aint man enough for handrails, imo.

I seem to remember when I did my part 1 a few years back our instructor told us it should be doubles as the working lift is made out with singles therefore handrail with doubles then helps to hold the job together.

Handrails do not affect the strength of the scaffold and are often omitted from designs to provide better clarity of the drawing

Always use doubles but have done it for pedestrian access and the like. Give the man what he wants send him a bill then move on.

Unless the safety man asks for mandy's.

we have been pulled before by hse for use singles on the stop ends of a handrail, said he want to see double on double do your head in 1 say 1 think 1 say another.

hard enough putting advanced handrails on with doubles never mind singles

There is nothing in TG20 that says you have to use doubles on handrail. If I remember right though the stop ends should be on load bearing fittings.

TG20extract:- 11.6 says ' guard rails shall be connected to the standards with swivel or right angle couplers'

I thought that would be the case, the stop end thing was just because it became common practice to use singles.

Doesn't mean you can't risk assess this for a particular structure like a pedestrian access. As allan666 said set would work better.

TG20extract:- 11.6 says ' guard rails shall be connected to the standards with swivel or right angle couplers'

Just looked at this , surprised as my old gaffer who is the MD of a training centre in Nottingham always told us that this was not the case. Its been said on here a few times you will always learn somthing new , well RJ I hope your reading this thread you cu+t:D

That wouldnt be raymond would it ??

Top Bottom