Going it alone?

REDSKYSCAFFOLDING

Reaction score
Thinking about just going for it in new year starting up on me own an just going for it an really putting myself out there i have a few contacts in roofing game that always throw work my way peed off grafting my nuts off for other people lol

If you have work lined up who will be regular then go for it. Good luck. Contact Morgan law on here for some insurance quotes.

Its a big step Redsky and a lot of damn hard work , be prepared to be skink , have no home or social life , always chasing people for money.
But if you can make it work then it can give you a decent living,
Problems seem to really start as you get bigger if your only doing weekends for yourself its quite easy , especially if your still working 5 days for someone else as well then the money is still coming in to pay your rent , shopping etc etc but if your depending on it full time then it can become a financial nightmare just to survive.
I would suggest you dip your toes in and have a look , find work for weekends and see just how much work you can get for yourself , labour only is a good way to start as you are earning and have men around you to do your own stuff during the week if need be.

Good Luck with it if you do decide to have a go , remember you will never know unless you try ;)

Go for it ,I have known three scaffolders work with me who have gone on to make themselves rich.
One springs to mind he started as a labourer in 87 ,then about ten years later started his firm up,and now he is already retired having made his money.
Jealous bloody right I am! ha ha

Last edited:
If you have been offered roofing work like you say you have then go for it mate.
You will at least have a jump-off to start your firm.
I had my own gear years ago and preferred to sell it all rather than build on it.
I still regret it to this day.
Best of luck.

Good luck! If you need any tax advice/ start up info, give us a shout :)

Good luck Red.
Id advertise as much as possible... use the full power of the Internet as you can (and its free) and if ypur lucky to 'get in' with a little Builder/Roofer or Solar Panel Firm, your laughing. :)

Redsky keep your money in the bank mate and wait a bit longer until the building industry gets off the floor, its a nightmare for the small subbie and scaffolding is always at the end of the line for payment, its easy to do the work but its near impossible getting paid in full, any excuse the can they will knock your money.

Good luck Redsky. Go for it. In every business venture there is an element of risk. I am starting a couple of businesses and while there is always the possibility to might not get paid or having to wait for your money there is also the possibility that you might have it right off. keep us updated.

I've been going 8 months now,I'm stressed,skint and knackard but lovin being my own boss,
It's a nightmare gettin some people to pay,especially this month.when I eventually get paid its straight out the other hand paying bills and buying gear,don't think your going to make tons of money at the start cause you won't.
I'm just in the middle of pricing my first temp roof which I'm enjoying loads:confused:
Listen to lads on here,they helped me out a lot,I would of been buggered without this forum and all the advice
Cheers and good luck
John

Go for it mate, I did last last year and have never looked back. Buying the gear and the truck was hard but I got a 0% for 16k credit card and got enough to get me started. Concentrated on Solar jobs ( gears turned around quick), got insured with NFU for the vehicles far and away the cheapest around.

Also got a free credit checking facility with the Barclays bank which has proved its worth time and time again.

Try to get decent second gear, get decent blokes and pay them a decent wage.Supply them with good ppe and sweat shirts and hi viz gear and look after them. If your blokes look smart people tend to think your going to be a decent company.

I also brough CADS software from day one, it looks good its easy to use and the customers love it.

I have had a lot of luck and a some really good contracts but its been hard. A year on we now have two companies, some really good lads some fantastic clients and have brought and paid for everything we own to the tune of 100k all in.

It can be done but I'm still working until 10.00 pm most nights and have only got 3 days off at Christmas.

I'd still rather risk it all again rather than work for some cock who knows nothing and is never there.

If your seriously thinking about going it on your own your half way there. One other thing that was important to me but others on here will probably dissagree with. If you can do it on your own ,do it on your own. Don't get a partner or partners, it always ends in tears somewhere along the line.

U got some good advise on here.but i think the GM has it spot on...all the sighns are here for a 3rd dip reccestion all doom & gloom , &only an idiot would believe otherwise..and our industry will as part of construction be once more badley hit.& thats b4 we've recovered our pricing from the last one...be sensisible & sit tight for @least another 6 months
.also have a good exit strategy that doesnt nessary concentrate on trying to recover by selling all you kit as debt cover as u will find the selling price much less than your purchase cost...if & when u start do everything u can to keep overheads to a minimum, which includes not larging it up too much when the money does start coming in.as you'll need that money for cashflow when ur not so busy....also dont take every job that comes along -work the pricing backwards and if theres no or little profit let it go.as u can easily become a busy fool....having said all the above , good luck in your venture & i'm sure you'll use this medium to help in any knowledge that ur lacking

good advice SP

red its a big step, i know a few who have tried, some very successful others not so. It can be done, its all about what you put in. remember just one thing

work for a living dont live to work

Top Bottom