Ginny Wheel

T.ANIMAL

Reaction score
What is the S.W.L of a ginny wheel, this is for 5 mins only. I am going to start a little quiz, every now and again, to see how many of you are a anorak like me, cause at school i could not retain information, and now in my forties, im like a sponge, i am a scaffolder spotter.:wacko:

What is the S.W.L of a ginny wheel, this is for 5 mins only. I am going to start a little quiz, every now and again, to see how many of you are a anorak like me, cause at school i could not retain information, and now in my forties, im like a sponge, i am a scaffolder spotter.:wacko:

whatever its made to:nuts:

Tested to 1,000 KGS To lift 250 KGS Hoisting 50 kilos

Last edited:
whatever its made to:nuts:

Tested to 1,000 KGS To lift 250 KGS Hoisting 50 kilos

You are correct Jakdan, all lifting operations go to 4 times higher than what it says.

750mm is the maximum unsupported length of a tube for a Gin Wheel.

Haha,i happened to look this very question up today,as a client wanted to know the regs on this,and the only sg i had on this is sg9:08 section 4.0,which states 50kg at 750mm projection,so if it's wrong they must have changed it,however,best practise recomends 30kg,but that's not the swl:cool:

Haha,i happened to look this very question up today,as a client wanted to know the regs on this,and the only sg i had on this is sg9:08 section 4.0,which states 50kg at 750mm projection,so if it's wrong they must have changed it,however,best practise recomends 30kg,but that's not the swl:cool:

there's an 09 link above bigfish ;)

S.W.L 250kgs but should be stamped on the wheel, max imposed load 50kgs. when pulling up on a gin wheel with a fittings bag, with 25kgs in it, half way up the load doubles.:smile1:

So the Safe Working LOAD is 50kg,or am i interpreting it wrong,i cant see how 250kg would be deemed safe,and what would be the swl of the 18mm rope?:unsure:

are they not making scaffs pull up gear on SCABSEILLING ropes which may have a certifieable load but they dont fecking bite a board and no chance of a tube one dunt off an overhanging board or tuibe and down she comes and ive seen it happen obviously never reported it as the scaffs would get the blame and not the bungy rope
i fecking hate scabseillors :mad:

i have honestly never been on a job where ive seen a gin wheel being used.

---------- Post added at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 PM ----------

in 13 years

Total Site, St Fergus requires a Lifting Plan to accompany any Rope and Wheel Lifting and Hoisting Operations :eek:

Total Site, St Fergus requires a Lifting Plan to accompany any Rope and Wheel Lifting and Hoisting Operations :eek:

It's a legal requirement under LOLAR regs.
I heard C&D pulled all the gin wheels at ratcliffe this year until alstoms, babcocks etc could prove their lads had been trained to use one. :blink:

The implication being Hand Bowling gear---just thinking of the safety factor and handling materials at height---you cannot always get a crane :cry:...

How hard is it to write a Generic lifting plan for a Ginny wheel and just adjust it to suit the job

Top Bottom