Gin Wheels

usage in oil and gas : I requested to use a gin wheel in a gas terminal last year, I was told that I would require a lifting plan in place :nuts:, the Guys landed up hand bowling the gear :eek:, elf and safety gone mad or what ?

We still use gin wheels when asked for them & for our own use(there's only two of us) to get gear up. Some of the roofing companies we do work for use either their own electric hoists or the ladder hoist things..

usage in oil and gas : I requested to use a gin wheel in a gas terminal last year, I was told that I would require a lifting plan in place :nuts:, the Guys landed up hand bowling the gear :eek:, elf and safety gone mad or what ?

Heard it all now,,,,,,,,,,Lifting Plan

working on a May Gurney site a few year back, the lads needed a one for the last 2 lifts of a 10 lifter, just for speed????
job stopped new RAMS required, test certs for rope and wheel required, told the lads to fukc off and payed them another £100 per lift. sorted:eek:

Just interested to know if gin wheels are still widely in use in the UK.
I imagine they are still fairly common for the street firms but what about industrial, petrochemical and major construction sites?

I believe the old one (pictured below) has been almost completely banned from any and all Construction sites.

Old Ginny Wheel.

images

In favour of this 'Safety' wheel.
It has a built-in brake that can prevent the load from falling back down to the ground, once the rope is let go of.
Its also made of reinforced plastic, making it lighter then the old steel one.

New Ginny Wheel.

I12005a.jpg

They aint cheap though...
Ive heard they are about £400 a pop. :eek:

i usually just pull gear up on the rope rather than use a wheel , saves having to listen to the whingeing c^nt on the bottom moaning about his skinny arms , every pull 4 foot up 2 foot back down

Has anyone used the braked gin wheel, I used it once and could'nt get on with it. Trying to land a long and release the brake at the same time, nightmare!

Whats wrong with the good old foot brake? lol

hertel at chevron refinery still use rope and wheel, dont know if tags in datew though !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cape still use them you get a wee induction,i kid you not and you get a wee cert for the cv incase you want any future employers to think you are a pr^*k.
the rope does need to be certified.no blaim no claim seems to be the way of it:eek:

I have used Gin Wheels here in WA...at Alcoa and down the strip. Still a great tool where you cannot get a crane to lift and saves walking the gear 5 miles to a OHC!! The ozzies can't get their head round it though and winds me right up with the extra bloody hirch they put on the tube so to keep straight!!!
Don't like the look of the safety Gin Wheel...give me a squeaky gin wheel anyday that sings away when your striking a job and free falling on a rope with a sack or your mates jumper with loads of holes in LOL

Still got a few in the back of the yard somewhere but just not worth the paperwork nowadays. Just put a man on every lift or even every second lift, spend an hour punting up the gear and then build it.

FFS, I wisnae meant tae put it in her erse either.:eek:

Has anyone used the braked gin wheel, I used it once and could'nt get on with it. Trying to land a long and release the brake at the same time, nightmare!

Ive used it a few times.
First time was at St. Pancras in about 2005... Was a pain, as it was a new thing then.

But after a while you got used to it.
One thing it would be good for is on a monsterous pull up. - Say 100+ft, if your arms end up getting fucked, you could leave the gear on the rope hanging up there, for a little rest.

Though, i think id rather get it straight up, as leaving anything hanging about at about 80ft is asking for trouble, lol.

What are you all moaning about a Rope and wheel is part of you tool kit on the street , its the first thing you teach a young gun to use and keep him there for at least 6 months to toughen him , i often spend days roping gear up , anything up to a hundred foot, Them aint "OLD" gin wheels Jason , the old Gin wheels had a hook that you tied with a wire bond to your jib , we always chain as high as possible then out comes the rope and wheel , i dont have any problems roping gear up to 2 lads fixing.

What are you all moaning about a Rope and wheel is part of you tool kit on the street , its the first thing you teach a young gun to use and keep him there for at least 6 months to toughen him , i often spend days roping gear up , anything up to a hundred foot, Them aint "OLD" gin wheels Jason , the old Gin wheels had a hook that you tied with a wire bond to your jib , we always chain as high as possible then out comes the rope and wheel , i dont have any problems roping gear up to 2 lads fixing.

we have to meet:love:

Them aint "OLD" gin wheels Jason , the old Gin wheels had a hook that you tied with a wire bond to your jib , we always chain as high as possible then out comes the rope and wheel , i dont have any problems roping gear up to 2 lads fixing.

I know, lol.
The really old ones had a silly hook and wire bonds were tied around it and the tube it was slung off of.

But they aint 'old-old' they are Dinosaur Pulleys, lol.

Still use loads of gin wheels at ratcliffe power station. Place is full of em.

Top Bottom