Getting payed of Builders

Dandaps

Reaction score
Just wondering what terms people give builders with regards to paying for Scaffolds. The reason I ask is we have a builder who we have done work for over 3 yrs. We have him on 14 day terms but its allways an ask to get the money of him said he would pay monday then tuesday now wednesday. I know we will get payed as we allways do off him but I think he is taking the Piss as this has become the norm. I know builders have a rep for paying late but we only seem to have this grief with him. Any info would be great help as I am starting to think he isn't worth the hassle.

Last edited:
Hi Dandaps
most customers we have pay 30 days , but if you agree 14 days then they should pay you on that basis.I would down tools and say until there account is settled then nothing goes up or down , they probably have a cash flow problem at the moment as you say they always pay eventually, you gotta think do you need there work ? or is it not worth the hassle :wondering:

most of ours are 60-90 days , some at 30 and some well over 120 , we use credit insurance which helps , but have had a few go under over last year and lost 145k combined ouch

New accounts 30 days or payment on completion

Yer we have the bigger firms on 30-60 days but have kept him on 14 days as I thought If he takes 3 weeks to pay on 14 day invoice then he's gonna take 5-6 weeks to pay on a 4 week invoice. Anyway he's called and payed just pisses me off when people want their scaffolds up asap then think they can pay when they want.sorry guys think I'm just tired of him left bricks loaded when he wanted next lift then wanted scaffold down asap for windows fitters when our lads arrived scaff was still full of *****. Then the cheeky git asked can the lads help carry some 26 ft steel lintels in. Some people take libities. Think I need a beer! :toung:

I've been dealing with the same companies for years but find it's taking longer to get paid now. To counter balance that, I've increased the extra hire rate. At the final accounts it's a bargaining tool, I'm willing to give a discount, they've got something, and i've got my money, and I keep their custom. Give a little, get a lot. Everyone's happy.

Nice tip Brandy, might deploy that one myself. I think it has always been tough to get paid and have very few that actually pay on time, they seem to think the payment terms are just for decoration.

i always try and haggle 50% up and 50% down with new builders like AOM says they think your terms of payment are the minimum time they have to pay

66% up and 33% down mate is the way forward for draw downs , however if there on 30 days we invoice the whole lot up 100% when they winge we say well job be down in 30 days so why not !!
Fook all that acting as an unpoaid overdraft !!

Overhire - 4%

66% up and 33% down mate is the way forward for draw downs , however if there on 30 days we invoice the whole lot up 100% when they winge we say well job be down in 30 days so why not !!
Fook all that acting as an unpoaid overdraft !!

Overhire - 4%

Well said that man, Exactley the same as I used to do, if you lay down theres plenty who will walk over you and your business/finances

1 in ten invoices is split , rest just bill up gross or your just asking to wait 90 days for your dough ,same as on site valuations ect allways devide the price into 66% and divide by lift amount.

we never get no grief invoicing gross , this trade is labour heavy on erect as you guys know

Had an experience with a mechanical contractor on a site. Had about 30 scaffolds up for him, invoiced him, way overdue on payment. He used every tactic he could think of, 1 month wants a copy of insurance, even though I could'nt be on site without it, Next month wants copy company safety statement. In the end I pulled all the tags on his scaffolds and he had about 50 fitters idle. was called in to project manager to explain, stated my case and told him as the scaffolds were on my insurance, his men could not work on them while I was not paid. Got a cheque next day and tags went back on.

Or if you work for any EAGA companies whack 50% on the price so u can afford to wait 6 months to get paid !! Or for the numpty planner to sign off

dandaps i think you having bad day bud , this builder has been loyal to you 3 yrs as have you been to him, you say you know you gonna get your money so you obviously trust him, he will be getting paid in instalments eg dpc, wall plate , windows etc etc he obviously bit stressed himself trying to rush things to get his payment to give you your payment an others , why dont you give him a visit air your views in a calm none confrontational way see if he will take it on board , i always say to people if you aint got the money tell me straight when you gonna have it dont say mon, or thurs then not have it, cos as long as i know im not going to have it till certain date i aint gonna try spending what i havnt got:laugh:

Top Bottom