Getting old

I know what you mean mate when i started out it was the same needless to say by my early 20,s my back was fuc-ked.

This game has changed a lot in the last 10 years some for the bad but some for the good.

No one should feel they have to carry 4 13 ft boards to get a job done if that is the case there is far to much pressure being put on the squad mate.

And as for catching 5 ft,s from 5 lifts we have all done it but really is there a place for it now in 2013 ?

I think you are right MH. I reckon if I could start again I wouldn't have done half what I did and my back would still have been in one piece today.

I reckon you can still do a good days graft without wrecking your body with the right training.

Same as aom, just retired after 42yrs in the game and my bodies shot re: back/knees/ shoulder, who ever said " hard work never killed anyone" should come round here cos it almost saw me out.

Would be good to see what the strp does to peoples backs....feet close together c
Hemping tube with all that weight going through your lower back ?

We did a bit of manual handling training just the other day. Whilst watching the video I did start to wonder what exactly are the benefits of doing it the "proper" way and if they are just moving the problem to one part of the body to another.

An old dog, new tricks and all that.

Last edited:
aom,for feks sake if we did manual handling correctly with all the bellocks we have to wear now you would be lucky to get half way up with a bag of doubles these cock monkeys who bring out this manual handling make it look so easy lifting the empty cardboard boxes on their cameo short health & safety short films and there is another thing about these short film in the manual handling in the scaffolding core do they think that we are that stupid we cannot spot an alloy tube on the floor and the recognisable ping it makes target work is exactly what it says on the tin pure graft and when it comes to my time that I cannot cut the clothe its time to call it a day

Yeah I know, I have done it long enough but blame culture blah blah blah. In other words, we have to train the boys in every aspect of the job.

I visited the doctor last year about the constain pain i get in both shoulders manly the left one. After examination he told me id damaged cartlidge and the only solution was either give up scaffolding or have keyhole surgery at which i will be off work for a minimum of 15-18 wks.
My reply was if you can find me a job that pays me and gives me the same satisfaction and enjoyment everyday as scaffolding deos then i'll give it up. And if your willing to pay me for the time im off work then i'll have the op, funny enough his reaction was i'll let you think about it.
After 17yrs in the game i can put my hand on my heart and say i've fecked my body, cos i didnt look after myself. Train them right cos they'll end up like us otherwise.

I know what your saying in passing down the skills bud and fed up of the boss take this lad hes a good one and in his next breath he says watch him for me just seems to me an excuse for cheap labour until he cracks and most of the young guns wont listen when you try an put them right if someone wants to learn the one that gives you earache with questions are interested

Never a truer statement cowboy. I would rather a lad sit there and ask ????'s than have one that spends hours on the phone finding out if his mate is still in bed.

got a wee pal out years ago working on the fiddle/grip he had never really worked and had been in a wee bit of bother with the polis.(good scaffolder material)we were all packed up on a friday whenthe wagon arrived with 250 kwikstage wooden batons and the colour drained when i told him they have to be off the road before we go hame.Fair play he did it but i was his lift so maybe that had a hand in it.
We were also working late december when he decided to take a day off with the COLD.he made it 2 and i got my sisters boyfriend out just to scare him.He was round at my house asking why i told him if i havent got 3 men to work i dont work the gaffer doesnt need 2 men he needs 3.
DEL is one of the best grafters going and has never looked back.;)
SCAFFOLDING IS LIKE THE MUSIC INDUSTRY THE 50S WERE BETTER THAN THE 60S THE 70S WERE BETTER THAN THE 80S NO CUNNTWILL EVER REMEMBER THE 90S AND SO ON

Real training is in a gang of 3 like said you get tickets like free sweets when I did my part 2 there was a lad who was threatened if he didn't do the 2 weeks course the job centre wouldn't pay him wasn't interested no spanner level nothing end off the course he leaves with a nvq part 2. I find your only as good as the scaffolder taught you personally I was lucky I work with my grand dad and dad I'm gang at same time they would shout so Loud make me feel so small but I hated it and they know it but it made me better u wanted to prove I can do it and I appreciate every thing they taught me 27 and loving life and wouldn't ask for a better job

All i ask from a labouer is that he shows up and on time ,tries his best to keep up and thats it . The more effort he puts in and the more effort i will put in to him and train him up

Real training is in a gang of 3 like said you get tickets like free sweets when I did my part 2 there was a lad who was threatened if he didn't do the 2 weeks course the job centre wouldn't pay him wasn't interested no spanner level nothing end off the course he leaves with a nvq part 2. I find your only as good as the scaffolder taught you personally I was lucky I work with my grand dad and dad I'm gang at same time they would shout so Loud make me feel so small but I hated it and they know it but it made me better u wanted to prove I can do it and I appreciate every thing they taught me 27 and loving life and wouldn't ask for a better job

I reckon that's the best background to be good in this game and I would bet you could teach more than your fair share a trick or two.

Yes they taught me all I need to know I can support my family have all the finer stuff in life if it wasn't for there dedication to help god know where I'll be (be cruel to be kind)

I wasn't quite as lucky as you to come from a scaffolding family, but I do know what you mean. Cruel to be kind is certainly no bad thing.

doing well
he owns more land in Argyle than the Duke and even has a Jetski as big as Abramovichs Yacht;)

Ha ha, don't listen to happy, my ski is not that big.;)

Top Bottom