Gale-force winds cause havoc Seaton Carew hartlepool.

TEESSIDE SCAFFOLDER

Reaction score
Gale-force winds cause havoc

529965973.jpg

Gail force winds caused this scaffolding to collapse in Elizabeth Way, in Seaton Carew.

Published on Friday 9 December 2011 09:40

GALE-force winds caused this scaffolding to collapse – just short of crashing through the conservatory roof.

Alan and Judith Wilson had the shock of their lives when they returned to their home in Elizabeth Way, Seaton Carew, yesterday lunchtime to this sight.

The 40mph winds that battered Hartlepool and resulted in Met Office officials issuing an amber weather warning caused nearly half of the scaffolding at the front of the house to collapse.

The scaffolding was put up as Alan, 76, and Judith, 57, are having solar panels installed.

“We couldn’t believe it when we saw it,” said mum of two Judith, secretary of the Hartlepool and District Branch of Parkinson’s UK, who also helps to care for Alan, who suffers with Parkinson’s.

“We had both been out and when we came back it was just there hanging over the conservatory.

“It could have been so much worse, it wasn’t far away from coming through the windows.”

Fortunately, builders rushed to the house yesterday afternoon and put the scaffolding back in place.

Strong winds howled around the town overnight and will remain today, although they are not expected to be as strong as yesterday.

It came as firefighters in Peterlee were called to Dene Terrace after the winds resulted in the collapse of an electricity line causing a small fire.

They raced to the scene at around 11.40am to put the fire out.

Despite the strong winds battering Hartlepool overnight, there were no reports of any significant damage across town this morning.

Highs are expected to be just 4C today and temperatures will dip as low as -1C overnight.

The wintry weather continues over the weekend with highs of just 3C and 6C expected tomorrow and Sunday respectively.

Obviously people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones but 40mph seem's very low to be bringing job's down. I was always kind of under the illusion you were looking at nearer 100mph to be considered an act of God?:wondering:

Last edited:
Can't see any colours but I do like the swing saloon doors they have used with the 2 gates, one upside down looks a class act.:D

I noticed that , think one is a ladder gate and the other is a ladder trapdoor. Dont ask me why have both unless its to do with getting panel hoist up and pulling it thru the gate, the mind boggles :wacko:

they've just built that off the balcony with no kicker lift. ledger node point has acted as a pivot with the guardrails acting as a pendulum. and over she goes.

I take it the gable scaffold was meant to be forming edge protection, can't tell from the picture but I wonder what the other side looks like.:eek:

To me, it looks like they have just rested a short standard on the ridge of the roof acting like a tripod (not tied in) to form a edge protection up the roof which as slipped off and made the mess you can see now on the photo.

Is that one of them flying handrails?ha,whatever happened to buttressing jobs against falling out of place?oh i forgot,you need a design for a buttress,so best not put anything in then,just in case we fall foul of the hse,mmm

I do know that any scaffolds for Mark Group have to have double ladder gates like the self closing ones. That could be why one of them is upside down

Attachments

• mark group.jpg
    mark group.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 15
Dont think there designed for that,but the solar lads will just remove them anyway,leaving a big gap:notrust:

Dass, surely these gates need something else other than their own self weight to stop them swinging out? We always fit ours with the lip hitting a tube of some description as I wouldn't want to fall against one. I've never tried it to see how much pressure it would require but it does look quite frail to me.

aom, I agree with you. When we do them we put two tubes up from the lift below in front of the gates with about three inches sticking above the boards

them sort of gate only open one way that's why you have to put one upside down...

I know that Tac, they are the ones we are using, it is probably me being either ignorant of the product or maybe just a bit old school but I wouldn't bet my life it wouldn't spring the wrong way should someone fall on it so as above I always get it to rest against some additional form of restraint.

Top Bottom