Food Production.

aom

Reaction score
I've got a birdscage to erect about 22m long 16m wide and 3 lifts high in our local creamery. It's the cheese room and nobody has specified anything yet like clean plastic boards or end caps but I was wondering what's the norm for work in these area's?

Just new lights, food production will continue but not while we are erecting. We are getting in around mid day Friday and all must be complete by Monday morning. They have asked for a full hygiene protected scaffold, what ever that means.

Just new lights, food production will continue but not while we are erecting. We are getting in around mid day Friday and all must be complete by Monday morning. They have asked for a full hygiene protected scaffold, what ever that means.

Sounds like a well planned operation.

Have you thought about asking them?

We do work for Britvic soft drinks and they require brand new materials un painted for every job!

No piss1ng down the standards then!

---------- Post added at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 PM ----------

The only experience I have of scaffolding in the food industry was many years ago putting a job up in a slaughter house. We were more concerned that we didn't ruin our Adidas trainers.

Sounds like a well planned operation.

It will be by the time we start.

Have you thought about asking them?

I have, I suspect they are not entirely sure themselves.

---------- Post added at 01:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 PM ----------

No piss1ng down the standards then!

---------- Post added at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 PM ----------

The only experience I have of scaffolding in the food industry was many years ago putting a job up in a slaughter house. We were more concerned that we didn't ruin our Adidas trainers.

I'm not ruining my Sambas for anyone.

---------- Post added at 01:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

The truth is, I've had next to no experience within the food industry either, so I'm just looking for the heads up before they pin me down on price.

You may have to guide them. I would go with clean gear and maybe double boarded with plastic in between as I presume it's close boarded to all walls. I was going to say sandwich but some clever fecker will post about butter and cheese. That only leaves your ladder access to cover with some sheeting.

Only done 1similar that was in a dairy as well & although a few years back we used new materials & sleeved brds. But did a swimming pool last week which they didnt want to empty & we had to wrap & tape up everything in plastic even the base plates it was like pass the fvckin parcle lol.
everyone wanted to get in the pool till the 1st guy in had his bolllocks come up through his throat where it was so cold. Had to issue the dry suits out when we went back to strike it lol

There was some talk about sleeving all the wood in a plastic jacket. Apparently, they have a sister plant down south somewhere that used this method in the past quite successfully but they were waiting for exact details. I don't fancy producing new gear if I don't have to. We did a much smaller job for them last year over the vats with no additional requirements.

---------- Post added at 02:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 PM ----------

Only done 1similar that was in a dairy as well & although a few years back we used new materials & sleeved brds. But did a swimming pool last week which they didnt want to empty & we had to wrap & tape up everything in plastic even the base plates it was like pass the fvckin parcle lol.
everyone wanted to get in the pool till the 1st guy in had his bolllocks come up through his throat where it was so cold. Had to issue the dry suits out when we went back to strike it lol

What did you wrap the boards with SP, or rather how did you do it?

There was some talk about sleeving all the wood in a plastic jacket. Apparently, they have a sister plant down south somewhere that used this method in the past quite successfully but they were waiting for exact details. I don't fancy producing new gear if I don't have to. We did a much smaller job for them last year over the vats with no additional requirements.

---------- Post added at 02:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 PM ----------

What did you wrap the boards with SP, or rather how did you do it?

You can buy board sleeves from Leeches, I did last year.

Best to get them wrapped in the yard though. Just cut to size and staple tight.

Very droll.

I hope so too, I have till Monday to come up with a plan and a price so I should be ok. So far all I really have as extras are covering the boards padding all the standards and taping up the base plates. The rest is bread and butter stuff, but it's still going to be awkward getting through the plant.

I thought I had seen this somewhere, I'll take a look.

---------- Post added at 02:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 PM ----------

Nice one Phil, this would do it.

Scaffold Board Protection Cover - 168mtr Roll | Leach's Scaffolders Supplies

yep the sleeving works well we used it at a Liverpool food plant and again at a food job in Preston if like us you have a few of this type you can invest in the plastic boards from George Roberts the board can be cut and spare end bungs bought so both pieces have ends on sleeving comes on rolls though. we've also done a few swimming pools and sheeted the pool first

We don't generally get involved much with this type of work so think buying the plastic boards is just a tad expensive for the amount of time we really require them.

What else did you have to do from the norm to cover yourself?

Very droll.

I hope so too, I have till Monday to come up with a plan and a price so I should be ok. So far all I really have as extras are covering the boards padding all the standards and taping up the base plates. The rest is bread and butter stuff, but it's still going to be awkward getting through the plant.

They may want the lads to wear hairnets, wellies etc. worth checking that out.

haha, they do. Me and my wee mate were kitted out on Friday when we went to measure up, we looked like a right couple of crackers.:embarrest:

Top Bottom