Fecking about with fittings.

Reaction score
Consultant Scaffolding Manager AG&P Philippines
Anyone have any views on fecking about with fittings?
By this I mean if for example a drop forged fitting was to be cut in half and then welded to steel.
I feel this is a no no as the integrity of the fitting would be compromised and the welding would have heated the fitting.
I know it could be tested to see what weight it could take but think it would make any manufacturers warranty obsolete.
Many years ago we used to have tubes welded to rig decks to prevent overturning of hangers but I have not come across fittings being cut and then welded.
Any thoughts lads?

A weld must be stronger than 6nm I would think. Cant see problem s long as its a proper welder fixing it

I've seen swivels broken into two fred, and welded on to a metal plate and used for ties but never a double cut up. Used to wirk for a firm in walsall and they made their own fixed transums by welding a split swivel to each end of a tube and then welding the ol fanny clips on to the tube to fix your ledger to. Fook knows how they got them passed but there were good to use as you could use them upside down without the bolt interfering with your boards...if i can find an old pic i'll try and post it for you to have a butchers....

As scaffy says it's always half swivels welded to steel never half a double.
They must be a weird bunch in Qatar.

As scaffy says it's always half swivels welded to steel never half a double.
They must be a weird bunch in Qatar.

When did I mention doubles?
What I am getting at is a swivel is made as one item.
Even though it can be welded and the weld tested has the integrity of the half swivel been compromised?

They are a weird bunch in Qatar but that has nothing to do with scaffolding.;)

But a swivel is made from 2 parts HSWT joined with a pin , so if you cut the pin out then why would that make the half swivel weaker ?

A good weld will hold a ton an inch , a lot more then the bolt will hold.

Yes indeed a swivel is made like that but I have not heard of you being able to buy half a swivel and joining with another half by yourself.
I know a bit about welding and testing just wondered if any fitting manufacturers would give cutting a swivel in half and welding it to steel their full approval?

Thats what Apollo fitting ties look like to me , a half Presco swivel with a hook welded on even has the hole in the middle for the pin section.

Hi mate, you can purchae (from us) half swivels which can then be welded, bolted etc onto structures or anything else you want to. I dont know the test data however ping me an e-mail and I will send some pictures etc over.
Thanks

He gets really excited about keeping us in suspense, 38th paralell n aw that:laugh:could be wrong but:wondering: I think its totally a sexual thing

Top Bottom