Extra training worth doing?

jamieBhibby

Reaction score
Got a little funding from ILA towards some training so thinking whats the most beneficial course to do? inspection course, confined spaces etc. any ideas lads?

Lot's, depends on what you are used to doing or hoping to get in to. I personally, hate these inspection courses for scaffs, you are already qualified and anyone asking for them is just needing educated.

Aye true i feel it is a bit of a waste but could maybe open a few more doors job wise! Im just looking to get in to the industrial side of things and away from construction and streetwork. Already got my ccnsg and fundings not much a couple tun, also dont want to do a long course a few days max, confined space, ipaf maybe then? too many bloody courses and tickets out there i feel like a kid wi football stickers lol!!

Yeah, it's a nightmare. I know it's not a great ticket but would appointed person first aid open any doors, or maybe the besc?

besc is a good shout actually, i had a wee spy but seems a bit of a mind field what training you need to do as there is several besc courses. pts is another, especially in edinburgh the now but again pain in the arse as you need a company to sponsor you apparently.

Be very careful with the sponsor thing, we had a fairly big scam in that department already, a few forum users soon sussed him out.

PM Dico, he is who I would talk too about BESC, sub station seems quite popular, depends what's about you.

its kept me in and out of work aom for 10 yrs on and off good thing with the besc and person certificate you dont have to do scaffolding if you dont want you can work for another contractor doing something else substations are the beter side as the works steady and no rush due to some areas being live unlike the overhead lines scaffolds your stuck out of no where and its dog work and in the same place for days unlike the substations this ticket is like most jobs your get the work if the jobs are there april to october is normally there outage slots but like i say you can work for any contractor on the national grid when you get your besc and person they last 3yrs. competent person lasts a year but is really hard to pass but when you have that ticket you can ask for more money they were paying £350 a day on some jobs in 2010. but you are incharge of the working party and any one fooks up your in deep trouble as you have the permit and when some jobs are live with 400 volks going through the system and you have a limited scaffold access to work you cant have some numpty with you swinging tubes around or there kill the lot of you.

Last edited:
jamie confined space ticket would be a good start for the industrial side of scaffolding,were quite often in and out of vessels/tanks.

Nice one guys cheers for the input! again wi the confined spaces there is the 3 different ones!!! Nowts ever simple is it! Dico i had a look at the besc training think that could be a shout like you say not just scaffolding related, all i can seem to find is a besc assessment tho is there a training course to do first surely?

---------- Post added at 08:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 PM ----------

Be very careful with the sponsor thing, we had a fairly big scam in that department already, a few forum users soon sussed him out.

PM Dico, he is who I would talk too about BESC, sub station seems quite popular, depends what's about you.

I remember nosing about on here and reading a few lads goin radge at some boy who was meant to be helping them with pts, take it he took their cash and did a dash?

Aye, not sure if it just got away from him or not but he was using his right name. St leger was on the case and a few other's.

your sit a short national grid course for the persons its about 10 questions bit like a touch screen but for the besc course they normally take you round a live substation but its all changing this year both besc and person is being combined together not sure when this will happen if i had the spare trainning money would put it towards pts or national grid and besc. everybody has scaffold inspections confined space and ipaf so there be more scaffolders going for that job wheres these 2 tickets are different and seem to paye beter. ive worked for a roofing company and a rope access company in the pass not on the ropes but with them my mates working with the aspestos removers at the moment so it can be varied work good thing as well most employers will paye good premiums for overtime and weekend work.

The safety passport is the cheapest and quickest option, if you can get on a few industrial jobs you might get your confined space sorted out for you for free (And paid while you're doing it).
The BESC and PTS work can be a bit seasonal unless you live in or near London.

It's a bit seasonal here too Swifty, although looks like a bumper pay day this year with the work that's on now after all the snow damage.

The safety passport is the cheapest and quickest option, if you can get on a few industrial jobs you might get your confined space sorted out for you for free (And paid while you're doing it).
The BESC and PTS work can be a bit seasonal unless you live in or near London.

Already got my safety passport mate looking for yet another card to add to the ever growing collection taking up space in my wallet . . . . no that i need the space for money or that the wife n kids make sure eh that!!

There are plenty of honest sponsors about for the PTS. I expect someone will know of one up your way.
Make sure you get you medical and D&A 1st.

There are plenty of honest sponsors about for the PTS. I expect someone will know of one up your way.
Make sure you get you medical and D&A 1st.

Aye i missed out on the Waverly roof job cause of pts i came close to finding a guy but was warned off by a mate as he had a rep for being a bit of a chancer. Got a few mates who work as railway engineers tho maybe worth having a chat wi them.

Yeah, it's a nightmare. I know it's not a great ticket but would appointed person first aid open any doors, or maybe the besc?

Lots of first aid courses Free dont waste your dosh there unless absolutely no choice any added qualification is better for you have a look at job specs on adverts and see if the qualifications needed highlight a gap in your recognised skills

Top Bottom