expected erect

Alamo16584

Reaction score
just had discussion with branch manager about what men is expected metre erect in a day in cuplok and what if they dont hit it and just wondered what others are expected to do in a day. my guys are on books but work price so should be covered by gme.

You will already know it varies greatly from job to job and even squad to squad. Every one has a target to hit and cover the wages, but instead of the branch manager moaning about upping the meterage what about him organising the job so the boy's can hit their target easier, like right gear at right time or landing the gear closer to the work site or even swing on another couple of labourers to make sure the spanner men are erecting and not carrying.

---------- Post added at 03:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

he says haul them in and read riot act to up speed & if not then bin them

Are they new starts?

I think getting paid by the foot is the fairest way for every body,if you do your bit you earn good money and if you don't it is your own fault,does any one agree ?.

bullsh1t that isnt it , depends on the job ,ground ,access , humping gear ,who you working with . a straight run with the gear at your feet you might get 500 foot up , or you could have a sh!t job doing 8 foot towers with a big walk and working with idiots and only get 50 foot up .

You are right Allan cos every job is different but if you sort your rate out before you start there shouldn't be any arguments about the money as every one knows how much they have to do to get every one paid,its probably not for everyone but it works for me.

Damo, there has been much discussion on the subject with most of it ending in tears. In my humble opinion and in no way is this meant to say it's right, is price work is just not for me. I prefer a fair hourly rate or even a Salary for the more senior guy's and then just fire it up. Maybe only workable when you are as small as my operation whereby the guy's don't need to be set targets but it suits us.

Price work is fair if your paid right
An hourly rate or salary is fine, you know what your getting at the end of the week, maybe dont have to pull your nuts out as much. The work gets done, everyone's happy.
Someone not pulling their weight on day rate will get fired off down the road just the same ! :)

Every one is different ,all the firms we have worked for have different systems ,like day rates and stuff,but lads seem more up for it when they no the more they do the more there going to get paid,the hardest thing about working on footage is getting a good rate ,but you have to take the rough with the smooth mate .

bullsh1t that isnt it , depends on the job ,ground ,access , humping gear ,who you working with . a straight run with the gear at your feet you might get 500 foot up , or you could have a sh!t job doing 8 foot towers with a big walk and working with idiots and only get 50 foot up .

couple of our boy just done a job truck right outside job so no walking miles took them a day tomrrow they have got same size job to do but can not get truck anywhere near it going to take them 2 days to do it, so this has been put in the price, you can not say to them well it only took you a day to do the last 1 and 2 days to do this it is down to bad mangerment not takeing a look at jobs before priceing them not the lads who work for them

just had discussion with branch manager about what men is expected metre erect in a day in cuplok and what if they dont hit it and just wondered what others are expected to do in a day. my guys are on books but work price so should be covered by gme.

Your branch manager must understand that its not 1984 anymore.

Theres a whole myriad of reasons why you cant tear arse it about anymore and cant keep to the old metre-age/square-age amounts.

1. Health and Safety forbids certain ways of working and SG4:10 has well and truly killed working to a timetable.
  2. CUP-LOK is shiite and should be banned because its outdated and dangerous.
  3. No one needs to break their backs anymore, as you dont get anything extra, only a quicker route to the dole queue.
  4. Most Scaffolding firms earn tens of millions of pounds, just off daywork alone - do they need more money? - 'Mo money = 'Mo problems.

Im sure if your not apparently 'pulling your weight' then your Supervisor/Manager can put his tools on and show you how its done.
Seeing as all bosses are Scaffolding gods and their skill increases ten-fold as soon as they swap their spanner for a shirt and tie. :notrust:

all bosses are Scaffolding gods and their skill increases ten-fold as soon as they swap their spanner for a shirt and tie.

True:noworry:

I no this is a bit off the point lads but what is the score (legally) with loading bays ,at the moment we have to use 5 standards a single transom at each end with 6 pairs in between them and plan braces on lifts over 5 foot ,isn't this bit over the top?

There will be a drawing somewhere Damo and as soon as you involve an engineer that's what you get. To be fair it's not the worst example I have heard off.

As the weight should be mainly in the middle of the loading bay i like to add what i call: Church Bracing.

Its basically tubes from the outside and inside ledgers on the lift below that act as spurs for the working lifts centre ledger.
Top and bottom check fitting and one per standard/puncheon.

Though Aoms right.
More then likely with things like loading bays you'd expect a drawing for one... Not that you'll need it, but its what Construction firms want nowadays.

the firms round here use pricework as a way of ripping you off , graft like fook to make less than an hourly rate

About 5 years ago, me and my brother was given a price to do some striking around a block of houses.

£800 get it down.
It was a proper fukking lump too, not high - about 13ft, but it went on for what seemed like miles...
About 90 square in it, with beams and all sorts over the backs also.

We struck it in 2 days, 2 handed, lorry close by and we loaded up 2 big trailers to the hilt on both days and worked to about 8pm on both days...
Busted our balls out all day.

We pulled the Supervisor about the price, saying it was shiit for the amount of work involved, he gave us the say old crap: "Sorry boys, we had to put a shiit price in to win the work" - The usual spiel...

A week later we worked with a guy who was asked before us to strike it.
He was offered £1200 and he turned it down, as it wasn't worth doing.

We was ripped off of £400, by that Supervisor, who more then likely pocketed the extra cash.

That was the last day i ever did price.
Ill never take a price job on again.
Never.

Majority don't pay you any more than what would be your hourly rate no matter how hard you graft.
The ones that do, you dont mind grafting for because it's more money in your pocket but there few and far between defo

Top Bottom