Excalibur

They say they are re-useable scaff but you have to assess after each use and to be honest is more hassle than it's worth. We do have a few that have been used before but they get a good hammering going into granite stone with us so we tend to throw them away after use, they are not expensive anyway. We do use a 12mm bit for the nylon ties and sometimes use the same bit for sand stone for these bolts, not often right enough as there is more hard than soft stone about. The double thread is a nightmare to work with though, it's meant to be a speed thread obviously but you can wrench them trying to get them inserted, screwing them back a turn or two before ramming them home can help but we were damaging the threads so now use the single thread which works better for us.

They say they are re-useable scaff but you have to assess after each use and to be honest is more hassle than it's worth. We do have a few that have been used before but they get a good hammering going into granite stone with us so we tend to throw them away after use, they are not expensive anyway. We do use a 12mm bit for the nylon ties and sometimes use the same bit for sand stone for these bolts, not often right enough as there is more hard than soft stone about. The double thread is a nightmare to work with though, it's meant to be a speed thread obviously but you can wrench them trying to get them inserted, screwing them back a turn or two before ramming them home can help but we were damaging the threads so now use the single thread which works better for us.

when you say nylon do you mean the resin or rwal plug? granite is a night mare 1 job i thin i drill about 3 holes to get the cants in i knew they wouldng go any were you need a 12 inch podger just to turn the cant lol and so 12mm is the right tised drill bit ill doubble check the bits tomorrow maby suhgets to him he get a 11 mm as moste buildings are sandstone but ther eis the odd whitehaven brick which is a brick make when they were knocking up houses for miners and thevey got chercoal or ash from the coal and there as hard as they come knwo them to plunten 3 dimon tip bit when doing the plumbing for the out side taps friging night mare lol

The rawl plug, which I think is a better tie for softer stone, not knowledge based but how it seems to work for us. The bolts are a dream in the hard stone and easy to drill now we have a new hilti and some fancy new bits but the nylon are for soft and even slightly decaying stone work.

The rawl plug, which I think is a better tie for softer stone, not knowledge based but how it seems to work for us. The bolts are a dream in the hard stone and easy to drill now we have a new hilti and some fancy new bits but the nylon are for soft and even slightly decaying stone work.

what is rw plugs are they then aom may invest in some my self just so i know the cant not going to come over lol

Great things, ADI sell them and the usual suppliers like hilti but they are really expensive compared to what I'm paying and no evidence to show they perform any better. They use a small nylon insert which you screw a small ring into then use a hook fitting to attach to the job, I have pictures but not sure if they are on this computer or at work.

---------- Post added at 08:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 PM ----------

Found this Marra.

February11009.jpg

cheers alan i wasnt there when they tested the ties just the m 16 with insers with the pins in from hilti and eye bolts m16 i asume they they were all well and good with the hitlti ties as the job been signed off but am beginnning to think that the drill bit its a bit big as on the web site for the ties it says something along the lines of itf its soft material use a smaller bit if hard use the recomended size but unsure of the size of drill bit for the little gold eye botls they have got the 2 threads on not the single 1

they are new bolts and ues reusing ? why is tghat a probblem?

You may be correct it the Hilti works it is more likley to be a problem with your installation of the self tapper. If a soft material then you should drop a size on the bit.

You should be OK reusing just need to keep track of howmany uses they get.
May also be worth looking at the material the anchor was used in, if a hard concrete for instance you will get less reuse than if used in a soft brick

Original post

In response to the original post, i have come across this in the past, we were using a bolt which was 100mm long, due to the poor condition of the the building fabric the pull test was not able to achieve the required loading. We were advised by Apollo to use a 150mm bolt which actually worked in the same locations that had previously failed.

Top Bottom