Excalibur

marra watson

Reaction score
on this job i have mentioned on a previous post the saftey fellow done a pull test on the excalibur bolts and this is the second time they have been pulltested and both failed so had to revert back to the hilti ties not sure if its in concrete brick block but the excaslibur bolts have faild the pull test 100% at our spot any ideas why this could be ?

i dont think there supposed to tested them if you do surley they would have to be drilled again!

% of anchors must be tested . Regardless of what is used. TG4-11 for reference.

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 PM ----------

The building fabric must have been assessed aswell.

Would need to know what their into,could be hollow bricks or perished brick or mortar,it's quite rare for excalibers to fail,try them with the resin,they wont fail then;)

Would need to know what their into,could be hollow bricks or perished brick or mortar,it's quite rare for excalibers to fail,try them with the resin,they wont fail then;)

sure there was a mention of incerts from them but gaffer threw that yan out the window but first job every tie failed not sure how many on here liek am just hasad a guess ad the bits maby 1 mm to big what size drill bit its it a 12mm?

The apollo version with one thread works better than actual excalibur bolt

The inserts are like womens hair rollers,you insert it into the hole(no sniggering at the back)squirt in your resin(this is like a letter to razzle lol)finger screw the bolt in till it oozes out the hole (ffs)leave for a few minutes till your resin semi sets,then crack your bolt haha,withdraw your bolt,let your resin set in the hole,then fire your bolt all the way home,ah job done;)

The inserts are like womens hair rollers,you insert it into the hole(no sniggering at the back)squirt in your resin(this is like a letter to razzle lol)finger screw the bolt in till it oozes out the hole (ffs)leave for a few minutes till your resin semi sets,then crack your bolt haha,withdraw your bolt,let your resin set in the hole,then fire your bolt all the way home,ah job done;)

i thats what the permit lady gets ort what about the fekign ties bf lol

i thats what the permit lady gets ort what about the fekign ties bf lol

Oh aye,i forgot about the drill size in my excitment lol,in all honesty i cant remember of the top of my head,the bits and bolts are in the drill box in work and i no longer put the ties in,so i would need to look,to answer that one marra:cool:

12mm for us marra, not sure why they are failing as when we were using them you needed forearms like popeye to get them in. We have now changed to a local supplier for ours with a single thread and they go in like butter and pass a test no problem. Do you know what they are testing them at?

The double thread fills up with dust

Nightmare. Didn't fancy the single till we got the IW but now everyone is happy, unless there is a torque restriction with them as well.:(

12mm for us marra, not sure why they are failing as when we were using them you needed forearms like popeye to get them in. We have now changed to a local supplier for ours with a single thread and they go in like butter and pass a test no problem. Do you know what they are testing them at?

am not sure what they are but am sure on em course its supos to be 6.1kn plus something like 1.7 kn might be rong have no idea what there tersting them at but all testes have failed scarey when you think of it unless there testing at 10 kn or sumet daft but only had a few were av had to swin on the spanne to tighten them and to be honest that was on an old chursh likc builingd its the mroe morden and sandstone it seems to be easy to place them in but sure i read in soft stone like sandstones maby you needed to use a smaller drill bit and the harder the stone you neded the right sized but in soft a size smaller not sure how much smaller it was on thier website but they defo said it needed to be smaller in soft stones etc

Just started using the 14mm rawplug seems to be all the rage with the small eyebolts

We use the same Scaffy, how do you fair when you have to do the preliminary at 3 times the required load for nylon.

Whats that in english big bhoi !

The current guide lines say that when using nylon inserts for these small ringed ties you must test to 3 times the required load for proof test due to the potential creep. When I contacted the manufacturer as they failed at around 16-18kn, they said that creep does not exist. The guidance note also stated to refer to manufacturers advice but one conflicts the other and I just wondered how you handled it.

on this job i have mentioned on a previous post the saftey fellow done a pull test on the excalibur bolts and this is the second time they have been pulltested and both failed so had to revert back to the hilti ties not sure if its in concrete brick block but the excaslibur bolts have faild the pull test 100% at our spot any ideas why this could be ?

Morning 1989
you say you had to revert to Hilti Ties.
You have not said what type of how they fared in the testing phase?

The problem could be the substrate or the installation process.
Are you reusing the bolts (are they second hand)?
If it’s the substrate (block) failing this may have a roll on effect on whichever anchor you use.
If it’s the installation, the problem is overcome with training.
I have used Excalibur screw fixings in almost everything and find them to be a great anchor as a rule (Hilti do a similar fixing)
When they were first introduced into the scaffolding market (late 80’s I think) I had issues with the installation. This was pre impact wrench days so scaffs had to crank these in by hand using a ratchet spanner, this was hard work so they first enlarged the hole to make the fit looser. Secondly the top hand came up with putting a socket into the Hilti drill and putting the bolts in super-fast up to the last turn or two then back to the ratchet spanner.
This had the less than desirable effect of feeling like the anchor had taken but what could not be seen was that it was only the last turns that had cut into the concrete. Whilst the bolt was spinning a drill speed the cutting edge on the bolt had reamed out the hole. This was only revealed when I came to test the bolts and had to loosen them to get the tester on only to have the bolts drop out.
As the scaffold was a hanger supported on these bolts ones ass started to pucker.

Hilti now make a torqued wrench for the installation of these anchors. I have had 3 for years and they work very well; however’ they take a battering from the troops on site so need regular repair.

Morning 1989
you say you had to revert to Hilti Ties.
You have not said what type of how they fared in the testing phase?

The problem could be the substrate or the installation process.
Are you reusing the bolts (are they second hand)?
If it’s the substrate (block) failing this may have a roll on effect on whichever anchor you use.
If it’s the installation, the problem is overcome with training.
I have used Excalibur screw fixings in almost everything and find them to be a great anchor as a rule (Hilti do a similar fixing)
When they were first introduced into the scaffolding market (late 80’s I think) I had issues with the installation. This was pre impact wrench days so scaffs had to crank these in by hand using a ratchet spanner, this was hard work so they first enlarged the hole to make the fit looser. Secondly the top hand came up with putting a socket into the Hilti drill and putting the bolts in super-fast up to the last turn or two then back to the ratchet spanner.
This had the less than desirable effect of feeling like the anchor had taken but what could not be seen was that it was only the last turns that had cut into the concrete. Whilst the bolt was spinning a drill speed the cutting edge on the bolt had reamed out the hole. This was only revealed when I came to test the bolts and had to loosen them to get the tester on only to have the bolts drop out.
As the scaffold was a hanger supported on these bolts ones ass started to pucker.

Hilti now make a torqued wrench for the installation of these anchors. I have had 3 for years and they work very well; however’ they take a battering from the troops on site so need regular repair.

cheers alan i wasnt there when they tested the ties just the m 16 with insers with the pins in from hilti and eye bolts m16 i asume they they were all well and good with the hitlti ties as the job been signed off but am beginnning to think that the drill bit its a bit big as on the web site for the ties it says something along the lines of itf its soft material use a smaller bit if hard use the recomended size but unsure of the size of drill bit for the little gold eye botls they have got the 2 threads on not the single 1

they are new bolts and ues reusing ? why is tghat a probblem?

Top Bottom