Exactly how many Scaffolders are there...?

J

Jason-Gibbs

Hi guys.

A question that ive always wondered is: Exactly how many Scaffolders are there...?

I was told that when i did my Advanced in 2008 that there was only about 1000 fully qualified CISRS registered Advanced Scaffolders in Britain at the time, but i never found out how many Scaffolders there are in total?

Is there 10,000?
Is there 100,000?
Is there 1,000,000? :eek:

A million...? not likely, but a few hundred thousand? maybe.

Does anyone have an idea how many fellow Scaffolders there is in the country atm?

There seems to be more than ever, everybody seems to want to put there self through there cards now as they think scaffolding the easiest thing to get into

I think the figure is around 25k , not sure where i got that from though so could be total bullsh1t.

According to NASC there are over 27,000 registered CISRS scaffolders in UK ATM J.

Hi guys.

A question that ive always wondered is: Exactly how many Scaffolders are there...?

I was told that when i did my Advanced in 2008 that there was only about 1000 fully qualified CISRS registered Advanced Scaffolders in Britain at the time, but i never found out how many Scaffolders there are in total?

Is there 10,000?
Is there 100,000?
Is there 1,000,000? :eek:

A million...? not likely, but a few hundred thousand? maybe.

Does anyone have an idea how many fellow Scaffolders there is in the country atm?

I suppose it depends on a lot of factors, including how you define a 'scaffolder'

Based on your idea of 'a few hundred thousand' Jason - If that meant, say 300,000, it would mean that roughly 1.66% of the male population of working age in the UK is a scaffolder. Which is highly unlikely.

CISRS say that at present, there are over 27,000 scaffolders registered with them. I assume that includes trainees and labradors.

There are also lots of people, like myself, who hold a CISRS card, but don't work as a scaffolder anymore.

So I would say if you took that 27,000 - took off 7,000 for lads who are not scaffolders yet, people who have died, people who have a card but now have another job off the tools, lads who work abroad etc - that gives you 20,000.

Add 10,000 probably for lads who aren't registered with CISRS but work on the tools, and you're probably as close as anyone can guess, at around 30,000.

add all the lads who work on sites they must think they scaffs aswell seen as they do alterations on scaffolds...

You would be better asking how many top of the mill first class scaffolders there are that would bring it down from 27k to around 5k

Many are called scaffolders but few can use the name with pride

supply and demand, the Industry is saturated with Trained and Ticketed Scaffolders all with varying degrees of competency.

Is supply out stripping demand ???and if so is this driving the Remunerations and Terms and Conditions down ???.

Gary, whilst the development of BASE erector training has largely went un-noticed by the forum it is this that will drive down remuneration certainly north of the border but will surely follow south in the not too distant future.

Very True Alister, Most People Dont Even Know About The Course, And These That Have Done It Tend To Think Of Themselves As Scaffolders.

It would be even worse if the scaffold companies started using it to compete. Some times I just think they don't think these things through.

I Know Of At Least Three Companies That Are Doing Just That Mate,All Right Till Someone Has An Accident Then What?

Mmm, shocker, but that is what happens. These guy's involved in producing these training courses should really have a good look at themselves. The first time I find myself thinking it's a good idea to send a youngster for a course such as this I might just shut the gates.:mad:

Thats The Difference Alister, You Are A Good Boss Who Places Training Above Profit Not Everyone Thinks Like You In These Grotty,****** Times In The Construction Industry,

supply and demand, the Industry is saturated with Trained and Ticketed Scaffolders all with varying degrees of competency.

Is supply out stripping demand ???and if so is this driving the Remunerations and Terms and Conditions down ???.

I think your right garry,too many scaffs for too few jobs,inevetably drives down the price,and training centres everywhere continue to add to the trained scaffolder ranks,obviously new blood is required,but are there now to many?i think so

Base?whats this,and can it come down south?

I suppose it depends on a lot of factors, including how you define a 'scaffolder'

Based on your idea of 'a few hundred thousand' Jason - If that meant, say 300,000, it would mean that roughly 1.66% of the male population of working age in the UK is a scaffolder. Which is highly unlikely.

CISRS say that at present, there are over 27,000 scaffolders registered with them. I assume that includes trainees and labradors.

There are also lots of people, like myself, who hold a CISRS card, but don't work as a scaffolder anymore.

So I would say if you took that 27,000 - took off 7,000 for lads who are not scaffolders yet, people who have died, people who have a card but now have another job off the tools, lads who work abroad etc - that gives you 20,000.

Add 10,000 probably for lads who aren't registered with CISRS but work on the tools, and you're probably as close as anyone can guess, at around 30,000.

Thats seems a very fair judgement / guess ,Phil nice 1. I would say your about 99% correct.
Whos gunna win gold in the olympics for the heads up.;)

Bigfish, without a shadow of a doubt base is a training course heading your way as we speak which allows thicko's with absolutely no experience to build system scaffolds to a certain height which I think is 5m. You may well think, no problem but if you think about how the bread and butter is earned which allow's you to concentrate on bigger more complicated structures you start to realise there may be a problem developing. Can you afford a couple of gangs of the worlds best trained scaffs to sit in the yard whilst monkeys build simple jobs while you wait for a big complicated job to come in. I know I cant, we need to be able to do it all.

Top Bottom