Easyfix / Readylok Transoms

Why don,t they get in touch with Interserve and trace back to when GKN Mills first brought them out.Somebody there will have drawings and info,I understand theres alot of cheap replicas ;)
Think you'l find, ready/lock, easy/fix, were designed to provide clear access for men and materials on scaffold lifts, hence the ommission of doglegs. Even a 2 lift scaffold of tube an fitting requires doglegs because you have to plum 1 standard to retain the width. This was eliminated by the use of easyfix/readylock. I remember reading a promotional brochure in the 60's (yes their out that long) it went something like this, New approach to tubular scaffolding, reducing labour costs, by the elimination of ledger bracing, thus providing a clear passageway the length of the scaffold and reducing the risk of loose fittings. But at the time the must have went through design and testing. Afterall both Mills and S.G.B. marketed them.

Think you'l find, ready/lock, easy/fix, were designed to provide clear access for men and materials on scaffold lifts, hence the ommission of doglegs. Even a 2 lift scaffold of tube an fitting requires doglegs because you have to plum 1 standard to retain the width. This was eliminated by the use of easyfix/readylock. I remember reading a promotional brochure in the 60's (yes their out that long) it went something like this, New approach to tubular scaffolding, reducing labour costs, by the elimination of ledger bracing, thus providing a clear passageway the length of the scaffold and reducing the risk of loose fittings. But at the time the must have went through design and testing. Afterall both Mills and S.G.B. marketed them.

Ledger bracing (or dog legs, as you call them) are not for plumbing the outside or inside standard. They're to ensure that the dead load of the scaffold and the live loads imposed on it are evenly distributed between a pair of standards.

Last edited:

Brandy pal,Thanks for that,Was working for Mills when they first started using them.We always use to tie in under both ledgers on 90s then use the threaded rod with the 90 fixed to the rod with quarter inch nuts which use to pull the scaffold in towards the tie if needed. Nowadays they just tie in off the inside leg . ;)

Brandy pal,Thanks for that,Was working for Mills when they first started using them.We always use to tie in under both ledgers on 90s then use the threaded rod with the 90 fixed to the rod with quarter inch nuts which use to pull the scaffold in towards the tie if needed. Nowadays they just tie in off the inside leg . ;)
Yeah joe, remember them, we used to call them tie rods. Phil 181 what i meant was the dogleg initianly kept the standard plum, you would know that. Another version of the readylock came out without the gate that wraps round the standard, it had 2 grooves that fitted onto a system standard. Tubing ledgers fitted into the jaw and were tightened as normal. As opposed to conventional system scaffolding it had the advantage that you did'nt need need to stock different ledger lenghts as the standards could be moved to avoid any obstacle.

Thanks Hatterscaff

Hi

Thanks for the old Mills info - dated 1969.

That is before I even knew what scaffolding was about.

I did start with Mills in Hammersmith in the design office though.

They were a good company. Did a lot of testing of equipment and were always good in there approach.

I remember Alan Breeze. Unfortuately Dereck Walton got made redundant when I was in design office. Not sure where he is now.

Will read through later to see if it gives any decent info, but as you say is a bit dated so will not comply with current wind loads.

Interesting that they tested in Italy.

All the best

Chris :)

Dog Bones have been around for as lon as I can remember, however the maximum allowable height unbraced, unsheeted has always been 30m.

For sheeted scaffolds with bones the requirement has always been to ledger brace.

There has never been any formal testing carried out to prove the lack of ledger bracing. To construct scaffolds over 30m, say 50m for instance the norm would be to construct the first 20m ledger braced and the top 30m unbraced.

Hope this is clear

many designers are putting ledger braces on the readylok system now

Top Bottom