Easyfix / Readylok Transoms

Mark_ISL

Reaction score
Has anybody got any technical data for omitting ledger bracing when using Easyfix / Readylok transoms, particularly with regard to netted or sheeted scaffolds ?

I've always been under the impression that maximum height was limited to 30m unclad, but I've seen a couple of scaffolds lately close to or higher than this without ledger bracing, and that have been netted or sheeted.

They do make for a tidy scaffold, so if we can't beat 'em, we may as well join 'em :laugh:

Has anybody got any technical data for omitting ledger bracing when using Easyfix / Readylok transoms, particularly with regard to netted or sheeted scaffolds ?

I've always been under the impression that maximum height was limited to 30m unclad, but I've seen a couple of scaffolds lately close to or higher than this without ledger bracing, and that have been netted or sheeted.

They do make for a tidy scaffold, so if we can't beat 'em, we may as well join 'em :laugh:

Our engineers tell me that they cannot prove that ledger bracing is not required on a sheeted scaffold using dog bones.

Last edited:
SGB (or whoever they are now - they've been bought out haven;t they) have a document, but it does not actually provide any information on the maximum height that ledger bracign can be ommitted, but it does state that with the transoms in use, ledger bracing is not needed. Give them a bell and ask for the document.

Th problem at the moment is that there are many grey imports from China which has no documentation with them to verify anything,......

SGB (or whoever they are now - they've been bought out haven;t they) have a document, but it does not actually provide any information on the maximum height that ledger bracign can be ommitted, but it does state that with the transoms in use, ledger bracing is not needed. Give them a bell and ask for the document.

Th problem at the moment is that there are many grey imports from China which has no documentation with them to verify anything,......
Harsco a U.S co bought them out. When I worked for S.G.B. we never used ledger bracing, or dog legs as we called them when using easy/fix transoms. Likewise Mill's scaffolding never used dog legs on their version. There would be times when it might be necessary to plan brace an entire lift. The normal tie patterns had to be followed as with conventional tube an fitting.

---------- Post added at 10:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 PM ----------

QUOTE=brandy;21807]Harsco a U.S co bought them out. When I worked for S.G.B. we never used ledger bracing, or dog legs as we called them when using easy/fix transoms. Likewise Mill's scaffolding never used dog legs on their version. There would be times when it might be necessary to plan brace an entire lift. The normal tie patterns had to be followed as with conventional tube an fitting.[/QUOTE]

Harsco have owned them for years !!! Yanks

sherman tanks , why the fook would you replace the name sgb with harsco

sherman tanks , why the fook would you replace the name sgb with harsco
Are they not still trading as S.G.B. with Harsco as the parent company. Agree, S.G.B. is a worldwide brand name. I think, as far as i know, they were the originators of steel scaffolding. ( if it aint broke, why change it ) Oh I forgot the yanks want to own the world.

Canadians like yanks

Hi Scaffy

Think you will find that there is not a lot of love lost between Canadians and Americans.

When I went out there the Canadians I met where not that keen.

Getting back to the original thread.

As far as I am aware there is no data sheet or specification available for the use of Readylok with sheeting and no ledger bracing, and not a lot of data for the use of Readylok in general.

Would be nice to get some if somebody has it available as I have a few customers who use Readylok.

All the best

Chris Eng

Hi Scaffy

Think you will find that there is not a lot of love lost between Canadians and Americans.

When I went out there the Canadians I met where not that keen.

Getting back to the original thread.

As far as I am aware there is no data sheet or specification available for the use of Readylok with sheeting and no ledger bracing, and not a lot of data for the use of Readylok in general.

Would be nice to get some if somebody has it available as I have a few customers who use Readylok.

All the best

Chris Eng

Hi Chris

An old Mills Manager once told me, that they could not prove scaffolds without the bracing

I do have some old calc's and will email them to you

Not sure if they will be any use, as i say they are old

i work for lyndons at the minute and the designer has started adding ledger bracing "or rakers as us thick geordie b******s call them" to all easy fix scaffolds regardless of height . rumour has it rolf harris is said designer .
can you guess what it is yet
didgaridooo

i have been advised by Training 2000 instructors that ledger bracing is still needed!

Easy-Fix Transoms are a fixed unit why would they require rakers if the scaffold is tied in correctly and sufficently.

Easy-Fix Transoms are a fixed unit why would they require rakers if the scaffold is tied in correctly and sufficently.

Because nobody has proved that a sheeted scaffold built with bones can safely withstand the reactions without ledger bracing.
Fortunately, just saying 'yeah, you don't need ledger bracing with easy fix trannys' is insuffient evidence for the majority of temporary works engineers these days...

Because nobody has proved that a sheeted scaffold built with bones can safely withstand the reactions without ledger bracing.
Fortunately, just saying 'yeah, you don't need ledger bracing with easy fix trannys' is insuffient evidence for the majority of temporary works engineers these days...
Why don,t they get in touch with Interserve and trace back to when GKN Mills first brought them out.Somebody there will have drawings and info,I understand theres alot of cheap replicas ;)

According to TG20 you must now use ledger bracing even when useing readyloks / transoms / animals. The official paper work states that the use of readyloks CAN ELEAVIATE THE USE OF LEDGER BRACING . Note the wording of CAN you must then seek the advise of a qualified engineer who will install extra measures.... this is what we have to advise at Generation Hire & Sale .........

Top Bottom