driving laws

Thanks Gaz, Clear as mud that lol.

Im ok to drive 7.5 as my license was before 97,but if I applied for a drivers job ide have to have the cpc thingy, unless I was a scaff, which i have been but no tickets. I suppose I could get a job on street bashing or residential company. Its all a bit of a mess aint it.:amazed::confused:

A labourer driver don't need a CPc as his main job is labouring iwas told by the rha that we come under incidental drivers

Last edited:
TBH mate, seems to be no rhyme or reason to this cpc. Got a few mates who had to do it as full time drivers.they all said what a waste of time,biggest load of pointless revenue collecting for someone. You would think it would be the part timers who would have to do this and not the pro's.

Under the new driver cpc regulations of vehicles of 7.5tons and over will fall in line with drivers regulated hrs any truck with a tacho head or digi tacho will come under the new cpc laws however the law still remains the same on 7.5ton trucks with a restricted op licence you may drive the old trucks with the tacho head without a disc in from point of depot to destination not exceeding 33miles from base if this is exceeded a tachograph must be filled in but note all drivers with the entitlement of a minimum of 7.5tons must have a cpc there are 5 stages in this and you must have a minimum of 2
Anyone caught without a cpc by vosa will feel the full weight of their laws an regulations vosa are a self regulated company and impose their on the spot fines and if you refuse this then it is a court matter with additional cost but definitely no reduction in their hefty fines issued from vosa which is fully backed by the high traffic commissioner a minimum breech in driving laws can land you a thousand pound fine there is a help line at dvla Swansea if anyone is not clear on these new chaotic laws scc

Scc I went on the first part of this course and they told me I didn't need to do it as scaffolders are incidental drivers scaffolding is my Maine job not driving

I heard that everyone has to have a cpc no matter what there doing to drive anything over 3.5 tonnes?

https://www.gov.uk/driver-cpc-exemp...-to-be-used-in-the-course-of-the-drivers-work

Vehicles carrying material or equipment to be used in the course of the driver’s work
You don’t need Driver CPC if you’re carrying equipment or material that you’ll use in the course of your work, provided that driving the vehicle is not the main part of your job.

This includes:

trade tools
goods such as building materials or cables to be used by the driver in the course of their work
extra crew like a mechanics mate or any other person needed for the job
Driver A
Driver A is a mobile lorry fitter. They drive a vehicle from one operator’s site to another site where they take their tools from the vehicle to do their main activity of servicing lorries. They do not need Driver CPC. If they use engine diagnostic kit that’s fixed within the vehicle, they would also be covered by the exemption because the vehicle carries material or equipment for their use on site.

Driver B
Driver B is a self-employed bricklayer and drives their lorry to a building site with a load of bricks. They unload the bricks and use them in the construction of a house. They don’t need to have Driver CPC because driving the lorry is not their main activity and they’re carrying materials for their use in the course of bricklaying.

Driver C
Driver C drives a lorry with a generator fixed to the bed of the vehicle. Driving is not their main activity. They drive to road maintenance sites where the generator is used to power site equipment. They do various tasks at the site including monitoring the generator to make sure it’s operating correctly and they provide the site with a power supply. They don’t need to have Driver CPC.

Driver D
Driver D works in the stores department of a company that supplies car parts. Occasionally, they need to drive one of the company’s lorries to deliver parts to retail outlets. Although the driving occupies only a very small amount of their working time, they need to have Driver CPC when making those deliveries because they’re driving a vehicle which is carrying materials for someone else’s use.

Driver E
Driver E is a farmer. On an average of once a month, they transport some of their livestock to a local cattle market for auction. They need to have Driver CPC when doing this, as they’re not carrying materials or equipment for their use in the course of their work –they’re carrying cattle intended for sale.

Driver F
Driver F is a farmer. Twice a month they drive a lorry on public roads around their farm, repairing fences. The vehicle carries the tools and materials they need to make these repairs. They don’t need to have Driver CPC because they’re carrying materials to be used by them in the course of their work repairing fences.

Driver G
Driver G is employed by a farmer as a labourer. Twice a day they drive a minibus under a D1 driving licence, transporting workers from the local town to various fields on the farm. The driving activity takes up a relatively small proportion of their day. The majority of their shift is spent with the other workers picking crops. They need to have Driver CPC because they’re transporting the other labourers – they’re not carrying materials or equipment.

Driver H
Driver H is a farm labourer. Their normal duties include transporting livestock and crops around the farm in a lorry. They need to have Driver CPC when driving on public roads while doing this as they’re carrying goods intended for sale, as opposed to materials or equipment.

Driver I
Driver I is employed as a mobile crane operator. They drive the vehicle with the crane to a building site where they operate the crane helping to build a new factory. They don’t need to have Driver CPC because their main activity is not driving and they’re carrying tools and materials (the crane) to be used in the course of their work.

Driver J
Driver J is employed as a mechanic by a transport company. As part of their responsibilities they drive a lorry containing tools and equipment needed to change wheels at the roadside. They don’t need to have Driver CPC because driving is not their main activity and they’re carrying tools and materials to be used in the course of their work.
Willy Pete have a read please

there is an help line on Under Construction these new laws fall in line with European laws and you are not classed as an incidental driver at all you are a driver that falls under the new cpc driver regulated hrs if your boss asked you to deliver scaffolding materials over lets say 100 miles away and your truck was on tacho or digi you fall into drivers regulated hrs there is no such thing as an incidental driver qualification gary look up the help line above an cover your arse every time bud scc

Oh right, I have heard that if you are just working off the lorry that you don't need a cpc but if you deliver to site you would need one. When I've been on the cpc the person taking the course has not even been sure about whether we need one or not? Seems like quite a grey area!

They may just want your money .the man we had from the rha who runs the course had nothing to loose telling me I don't have to do it becouse a transport company I no hired him in he didn't get paid per driver

---------- Post added at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 PM ----------

Oh right, I have heard that if you are just working off the lorry that you don't need a cpc but if you deliver to site you would need one. When I've been on the cpc the person taking the course has not even been sure about whether we need one or not? Seems like quite a grey area!
Wily Pete if you are getting paid to do it just go along with it .i my self drive my own lorry if I don't need it I won't do it but if wrong I will do it but I wAs assured I didn't need to do it

Yeah its probably just a big money spinner lol I was just interested because me and the other HGV drivers are getting put through our CPC's on the firm that we work for but the 7.5 tonne drivers that have got there licences through grandfather rights have not been put through

Yeah its probably just a big money spinner lol I was just interested because me and the other HGV drivers are getting put through our CPC's on the firm that we work for but the 7.5 tonne drivers that have got there licences through grandfather rights have not been put through
Are you employed as a lorry driver ,or you a scaffolder driver

https://www.gov.uk/driver-cpc-exemp...-to-be-used-in-the-course-of-the-drivers-work

Vehicles carrying material or equipment to be used in the course of the driver’s work
You don’t need Driver CPC if you’re carrying equipment or material that you’ll use in the course of your work, provided that driving the vehicle is not the main part of your job.

This includes:

trade tools
goods such as building materials or cables to be used by the driver in the course of their work
extra crew like a mechanics mate or any other person needed for the job
Driver A
Driver A is a mobile lorry fitter. They drive a vehicle from one operator’s site to another site where they take their tools from the vehicle to do their main activity of servicing lorries. They do not need Driver CPC. If they use engine diagnostic kit that’s fixed within the vehicle, they would also be covered by the exemption because the vehicle carries material or equipment for their use on site.

Driver B
Driver B is a self-employed bricklayer and drives their lorry to a building site with a load of bricks. They unload the bricks and use them in the construction of a house. They don’t need to have Driver CPC because driving the lorry is not their main activity and they’re carrying materials for their use in the course of bricklaying.

Driver C
Driver C drives a lorry with a generator fixed to the bed of the vehicle. Driving is not their main activity. They drive to road maintenance sites where the generator is used to power site equipment. They do various tasks at the site including monitoring the generator to make sure it’s operating correctly and they provide the site with a power supply. They don’t need to have Driver CPC.

Driver D
Driver D works in the stores department of a company that supplies car parts. Occasionally, they need to drive one of the company’s lorries to deliver parts to retail outlets. Although the driving occupies only a very small amount of their working time, they need to have Driver CPC when making those deliveries because they’re driving a vehicle which is carrying materials for someone else’s use.

Driver E
Driver E is a farmer. On an average of once a month, they transport some of their livestock to a local cattle market for auction. They need to have Driver CPC when doing this, as they’re not carrying materials or equipment for their use in the course of their work –they’re carrying cattle intended for sale.

Driver F
Driver F is a farmer. Twice a month they drive a lorry on public roads around their farm, repairing fences. The vehicle carries the tools and materials they need to make these repairs. They don’t need to have Driver CPC because they’re carrying materials to be used by them in the course of their work repairing fences.

Driver G
Driver G is employed by a farmer as a labourer. Twice a day they drive a minibus under a D1 driving licence, transporting workers from the local town to various fields on the farm. The driving activity takes up a relatively small proportion of their day. The majority of their shift is spent with the other workers picking crops. They need to have Driver CPC because they’re transporting the other labourers – they’re not carrying materials or equipment.

Driver H
Driver H is a farm labourer. Their normal duties include transporting livestock and crops around the farm in a lorry. They need to have Driver CPC when driving on public roads while doing this as they’re carrying goods intended for sale, as opposed to materials or equipment.

Driver I
Driver I is employed as a mobile crane operator. They drive the vehicle with the crane to a building site where they operate the crane helping to build a new factory. They don’t need to have Driver CPC because their main activity is not driving and they’re carrying tools and materials (the crane) to be used in the course of their work.

Driver J
Driver J is employed as a mechanic by a transport company. As part of their responsibilities they drive a lorry containing tools and equipment needed to change wheels at the roadside. They don’t need to have Driver CPC because driving is not their main activity and they’re carrying tools and materials to be used in the course of their work.
What about if your driving back to the yard and the wagon is empty :)

So what have u done alister?
We have been advised by the RHA that we as scaffolders using the truck for our daily work are exempt its all to do with the% of time you drive -however if we employed a full time delivery driver he would require it. Over the last 2 years due to the location of one of contracts we requlary travel past a vosa point on the M25 & have been pulled approx 6 times myself twice & every time the cpc has been mentioned we've pulled out the RHA booklet to which the vosa officers have agreed to our excemption,i also wrote the the traffic commisioner in charge of our operators licence to confirm it which he did,a copy of which we also kep in all the lorries - so as far as i'm concerned thats it

To be honest Sp, I have done nothing about it. In all truth, I am kinda hoping my driving days will be behind me by the time this kicks in. I did do the same as you once before with the boys in blue who had me for 2 hours at the side of the road trying to do me for driving a 7.5 tonner without a tachograph in even though I was about 5 miles from base. The point of telling you that is if the traffic boys don't know the rules what chance do we have?
I have spoken to a few trusted sources and the answers I'm getting back from so called professionals is very mixed. I have heard from some who have done the training that the difference between a builder and a scaffolder is one of the questions, as in which one is exempt and why.

Top Bottom