driving laws

goulda

Reaction score
does anyone know - from November 2014 are drivers of scaffold lorries(7.5 tonne) still exempt from the new licence if like me you have the old driving licence ie. do grandfathers rights still apply

As far as I'm aware exemptions from cpc are workers who are carrying materials on truck to enable them to do there work!
So if you are a scaffolder that is driving lorry and erecting/labouring on jobs you shouldn't need it but if your employed as a driver to only deliver materials to site then you would have to have the cpc!
Hope that makes sense!

DVTA Driver CPC - Exemptions

There are exceptions from the Driver CPC qualification for drivers of vehicles:

used for non-commercial carriage of passengers or goods, for personal use;

undergoing road tests for technical development, repair or maintenance purposes, or of new or rebuilt vehicles which have not yet been put into service;

used in the course of driving lessons for the purpose of enabling that person to obtain a driving licence or a Driver CPC;

carrying material or equipment to be used by that person in the course of his or her work, provided that driving that vehicle does not constitute the driver's principal activity*

with a maximum authorised speed not exceeding 45 km/h;

used by, or under the control of, the armed forces, civil defence, the fire service and forces responsible for maintaining public order;

used in states of emergency or assigned to rescue missions

*An example of a driver under exemption vii (also known as 'incidental driver') would be a brick layer who drives a load of bricks from the builder's yard to the building site and then spends their working day laying bricks. In this case, driving a lorry is incidental to their main occupation.

Drivers can move in and out of an exemption, depending on the circumstances in which they are driving. For example, a bus mechanic would be exempt while driving a bus to check that it had been repaired, but would need to hold a Driver CPC if they also drove a bus on a passenger carrying service.

If you are asking about the new cpc that's coming there's a lot of conflicting information and advice out there. Swifty's example of a bricklayer was one I too was given but the same guy also told me that I wasn't exempt as I was going back for my gear whereas the half wit brickie wasn't. It will take a while for it to become clear and you will get a different answer depending on who you ask for at least another year.

https://www.gov.uk/driver-cpc-exemp...-to-be-used-in-the-course-of-the-drivers-work

Vehicles carrying material or equipment to be used in the course of the driver’s work
You don’t need Driver CPC if you’re carrying equipment or material that you’ll use in the course of your work, provided that driving the vehicle is not the main part of your job.

This includes:

trade tools
goods such as building materials or cables to be used by the driver in the course of their work
extra crew like a mechanics mate or any other person needed for the job
Driver A
Driver A is a mobile lorry fitter. They drive a vehicle from one operator’s site to another site where they take their tools from the vehicle to do their main activity of servicing lorries. They do not need Driver CPC. If they use engine diagnostic kit that’s fixed within the vehicle, they would also be covered by the exemption because the vehicle carries material or equipment for their use on site.

Driver B
Driver B is a self-employed bricklayer and drives their lorry to a building site with a load of bricks. They unload the bricks and use them in the construction of a house. They don’t need to have Driver CPC because driving the lorry is not their main activity and they’re carrying materials for their use in the course of bricklaying.

Driver C
Driver C drives a lorry with a generator fixed to the bed of the vehicle. Driving is not their main activity. They drive to road maintenance sites where the generator is used to power site equipment. They do various tasks at the site including monitoring the generator to make sure it’s operating correctly and they provide the site with a power supply. They don’t need to have Driver CPC.

Driver D
Driver D works in the stores department of a company that supplies car parts. Occasionally, they need to drive one of the company’s lorries to deliver parts to retail outlets. Although the driving occupies only a very small amount of their working time, they need to have Driver CPC when making those deliveries because they’re driving a vehicle which is carrying materials for someone else’s use.

Driver E
Driver E is a farmer. On an average of once a month, they transport some of their livestock to a local cattle market for auction. They need to have Driver CPC when doing this, as they’re not carrying materials or equipment for their use in the course of their work –they’re carrying cattle intended for sale.

Driver F
Driver F is a farmer. Twice a month they drive a lorry on public roads around their farm, repairing fences. The vehicle carries the tools and materials they need to make these repairs. They don’t need to have Driver CPC because they’re carrying materials to be used by them in the course of their work repairing fences.

Driver G
Driver G is employed by a farmer as a labourer. Twice a day they drive a minibus under a D1 driving licence, transporting workers from the local town to various fields on the farm. The driving activity takes up a relatively small proportion of their day. The majority of their shift is spent with the other workers picking crops. They need to have Driver CPC because they’re transporting the other labourers – they’re not carrying materials or equipment.

Driver H
Driver H is a farm labourer. Their normal duties include transporting livestock and crops around the farm in a lorry. They need to have Driver CPC when driving on public roads while doing this as they’re carrying goods intended for sale, as opposed to materials or equipment.

Driver I
Driver I is employed as a mobile crane operator. They drive the vehicle with the crane to a building site where they operate the crane helping to build a new factory. They don’t need to have Driver CPC because their main activity is not driving and they’re carrying tools and materials (the crane) to be used in the course of their work.

Driver J
Driver J is employed as a mechanic by a transport company. As part of their responsibilities they drive a lorry containing tools and equipment needed to change wheels at the roadside. They don’t need to have Driver CPC because driving is not their main activity and they’re carrying tools and materials to be used in the course of their work.

So what have u done alister?
We have been advised by the RHA that we as scaffolders using the truck for our daily work are exempt its all to do with the% of time you drive -however if we employed a full time delivery driver he would require it. Over the last 2 years due to the location of one of contracts we requlary travel past a vosa point on the M25 & have been pulled approx 6 times myself twice & every time the cpc has been mentioned we've pulled out the RHA booklet to which the vosa officers have agreed to our excemption,i also wrote the the traffic commisioner in charge of our operators licence to confirm it which he did,a copy of which we also kep in all the lorries - so as far as i'm concerned thats it

Did you know you can get nicked for carrying kit in your car unless your insured to do so!!
A mate of mine got nicked last month,picked up a garden shed,strapped to roof rack. Old bil done him for wrong insurance. He told them he wasnt even aware about this. Phoned up his insurance on the spot,had the cover added, 60quid,old Bil still impounded his motor and since has lost licence. I think he got 6 pt penalty as well,which took him over the limit.
So beware you lot carrying odd fittings and tools to wprk. Social domestic and pleasure indeed.

I just had to endure a whole day at VOSA learning about HGV's and the law.

Because you are a scaffolder and driving is not your primary occupation you don't need a cpc card for a 7.5 ton lorry. You also don't need to fill in a tacho unless you are operating more than 50 km / 30 miles from your operating centre. If you're delivering materials to site and are not erecting / striking then you do need to fill in the tacho regardless of the distance from your operating centre.

Most scaffolders have a restricted licence which only lets them carry materials that THEY would use for their day to day work. Most haulage companies have a licence which lets them carry other peoples goods ( hire or reward) their licence is not restricted but costs twice as much to get in the first instance.

All hgv's have to be kept in the operators designated yard or operating centre, a company who hold a licence to operate coaches or busses can keep their vehicles anywhere they want, outside their houses if they liked. Just another load of pointless nonsense.

If you hire a lorry if yours is being repaired you must inform VOSA and get a temporary addition to your licence to cover that extra vehicle, regardless if yours is off the road and in a garage.

So there you have it, loads of rules ...

I just had to endure a whole day at VOSA learning about HGV's and the law.

Because you are a scaffolder and driving is not your primary occupation you don't need a cpc card for a 7.5 ton lorry. You also don't need to fill in a tacho unless you are operating more than 50 km / 30 miles from your operating centre. If you're delivering materials to site and are not erecting / striking then you do need to fill in the tacho regardless of the distance from your operating centre.

Most scaffolders have a restricted licence which only lets them carry materials that THEY would use for their day to day work. Most haulage companies have a licence which lets them carry other peoples goods ( hire or reward) their licence is not restricted but costs twice as much to get in the first instance.

All hgv's have to be kept in the operators designated yard or operating centre, a company who hold a licence to operate coaches or busses can keep their vehicles anywhere they want, outside their houses if they liked. Just another load of pointless nonsense.

If you hire a lorry if yours is being repaired you must inform VOSA and get a temporary addition to your licence to cover that extra vehicle, regardless if yours is off the road and in a garage.

So there you have it, loads of rules ...
When you apply for a o licence it's allways best to apply for a spare incase you need to hire a lorry in case you break down or need another tempary

Is it only scaffs ,or other trades.
Fred all lorrys over 3.5 tons are required to have one there are to types restricted one which is for carrying your own goods .or full one which transport company's have as they hire them self out.does that make sense

Top Bottom