do you turn a blind eye ?

Posting warnings under a sudonym is hardly going to have them shaking in their boots, have a word.

I personally would'nt grass anyone up,if it offends you that much why not just mention in passing that you think a hse officer lives somewhere across the road and he's a right one who'll nick them if he see's them,after all their only trying to make a living.

turn a blind eye have a word with the lads and youll get a black eye.
as bigfish said never grass,man up and grow up and the photos feck me are you really a scaff

Why would you want to grass the lads up for not using "the step" i have as yet to see anyone using one , no Hi-Viz ?
come on Carl the lads where knocking down a job on a Saturday morning , how many of us would have done the same thing ?

If the job is of a very bad standard then thats a different story you should have informed the HSE long before the job came down , and not just becase the lads didnt have all their PPE on .

I was woken this morning by scaffolders dismantling a scaffold behind my house. The company are a member of NASC. The thing is they clearly had no hi-vis on or harness and no scaff-step or AGR. Clearly not working to SG4( scaffold was not to TG20 any how) companys like this who are a member of NASC are a joke. I did work for this company yrs ago but the standards where quit high then. I admit i did take some snaps but do you turn a blind eye ?????
cant believe what l,ve read a so called fellow scaff taking pics of someone not wearing there ppe l,m shocked to say the least

To be fair, i would have probably knocked it down in my trainers and no PPE either...

Hi-Viz?
Nah...

IMG_1998a.JPG

I like wearing this for street work. :D

For me this smacks of double standards from certain posts in this thread. Most the time most users are always complaining about 'cowboy' firms and 'slashers' etc..... But when someone catches scaffs not working to these tight guidelines be it on a Saturday you have slated him for it.

I work for a street firm who many would consider to be cowboys, but for me it is all I know and pays the bills. I have my part 2 and put my jobs up to the best of my ability. I don't use a step, harness, hard hat. Just a pair of boots, gloves, and high viz.

Just because they aint got 'all' their PPE on, dont mean that they are erecting or stripping a bad job.

If you read most of the posts here, most are either playing down the thread, like myself or disagreeing with the pictures being taken completely.

Ive been on a few street firms and ive worked in just my trainers and a pair of shorts on a good few occasions, but never once have i put up a 'bad' job or worked totally unsafe or endangered others.

The term 'cowboy' is not necessarily aimed at the work being done - if its done correctly, more so aimed at the work NOT being done correctly. Even the biggest of Scaffolding companies can be classed as cowboys, if they put up shiit jobs.

Carl99 as others have said, If you are that concerned, contact the company and let them know, If they are genuine they will deal with it.
The hse don't want to know until the brown stuff hits the air blower:huh:

For me this smacks of double standards from certain posts in this thread. Most the time most users are always complaining about 'cowboy' firms and 'slashers' etc..... But when someone catches scaffs not working to these tight guidelines be it on a Saturday you have slated him for it.

I work for a street firm who many would consider to be cowboys, but for me it is all I know and pays the bills. I have my part 2 and put my jobs up to the best of my ability. I don't use a step, harness, hard hat. Just a pair of boots, gloves, and high viz.

Spunkywads, I understand your frustration especially when you work so hard to do it right but can you imagine if everyone with the tiniest connection to our industry went around taking covert snaps of our every activity. FFS it was a Saturday morning, bonus shift with no gaffers it's a bit like letting a greyhound of the leash. It wasn't the fact that Carl wanted to report this to hse or nasc it was the manner in which he went about it that left a poor taste in my mouth, why not speak to the boys or the gaffers? Some times that is all it takes, a wee reminder. About 4 years ago we did a gable end 5 or 6 lifts, I went back to the yard for some gear to finish the job and on my return one of the boy's told me that an hse inspector driving by on a family holiday stopped and spoke to them because one was on a dummy lift not hooked on. I never proclaimed to be perfect but it did give me even more incentive to make sure things were done to the best of my ability. Also imagine if the complaint system within the hse was flooded with complaints of this type, the already over loaded system would implode and real disasters waiting to happen could slip through the net costing even more dangers.

It's been well documented Frederik the hse has been the victim of some serious cuts in budget and staffing levels.

It's been well documented Frederik the hse has been the victim of some serious cuts in budget and staffing levels.

The fxxking country has been the victim of serious cuts in budget and staffing levels LOL

I know GM but it was a direct answer to a direct question.

Ive forgot the amount of times a Hi Vis has saved me up on a scaffold job over the years. lol. had a job last summer, old boy safety officer, when it was hot. tell us not a problem when on the scaffold, no hi vis, no hard hat and no specs, when coming off the job, make sure everything is on, when walking across site. Theres a guy with some common sense, but they are far and few between these days.:(

I find that is usually the difference between hse and safety men. I'm not suggesting the hse would tell you to take off your ppe when not in use but there seems to be a bit more "I'm prepared to spend a bit of time with you and educate you" attitude where as safety men usually want to see their name in lights and act like some splinter cell of the Gestapo. As your example shows T.Annimal, that is not always the case but it is in my experience.

Spunkywads, I understand your frustration especially when you work so hard to do it right but can you imagine if everyone with the tiniest connection to our industry went around taking covert snaps of our every activity. FFS it was a Saturday morning, bonus shift with no gaffers it's a bit like letting a greyhound of the leash. It wasn't the fact that Carl wanted to report this to hse or nasc it was the manner in which he went about it that left a poor taste in my mouth, why not speak to the boys or the gaffers? Some times that is all it takes, a wee reminder. About 4 years ago we did a gable end 5 or 6 lifts, I went back to the yard for some gear to finish the job and on my return one of the boy's told me that an hse inspector driving by on a family holiday stopped and spoke to them because one was on a dummy lift not hooked on. I never proclaimed to be perfect but it did give me even more incentive to make sure things were done to the best of my ability. Also imagine if the complaint system within the hse was flooded with complaints of this type, the already over loaded system would implode and real disasters waiting to happen could slip through the net costing even more dangers.

You are right in what you say AOM but if I came across you and your lads doing a job which was not fully safe etc... I then say 'excuse me mate, but should you not be clipped on to that handrail (which might not even be installed)?'

Honestly can you or anybody else tell me that your first response would be calm and polite as opposed to what I know I would do which would be to instantly get my back up and probably start off on a rant. If I was a HSE bod them I would more than likely get the calm treatment. As general public member with no initial power I would get told to f'off and probably chased with a five foot.

But I'm not arguing as such but as you say I am frustrated with the attitude some have about so called cowboy firms.

Fair enough but I can only speak of my experiences and your right also a hse inspector will always be met with a different attitude but I hope I'm right when I say no one would be chased with a 5 foot off one of my jobs for mentioning one of the boys was not clipped on.

it is a legal requirement that they provide you with ppe on a prestigious job like the thameslink yous could have had them over a barrel,but if the pennys are in the bank who is going to really bother about a scabby pair of boots etc

Top Bottom