cut your poles down now lol

fat boy

Reaction score
In September 2011, TRAD decided to take the radical step of cutting all its stock of 6.4m tubes (21’) down to 5m lengths (and removing all internal spigots from our stock). The decision was taken following an incident where an internal spigot (used to extend the scaffold upwards) failed on a TRAD project, and the 6.4m hemp toppled to ground (fortunately with no injuries).

Many companies instruct their scaffolders not to not hemp 6.4m tubes above 1m high, but this relies on scaffolders’ compliance and there have been several incidents over the years and many safety alerts being sent out without tackling the root cause. TRAD decided last year that was an unacceptable risk and therefore decided to take the decision out of the scaffolders’ hands by removing the hazard (i.e. cutting down the longest tube down to 5m lengths only). The bonus for TRAD was that it also improved the health of our workforce by reducing the manual handling burden on our yard staff and scaffold operatives.

TRAD have also been promoting the removal of 6.4m tubes from the stock of other scaffold companies in NASC meetings and Forum meetings as we consider it in all our best interests to make the scaffold industry as safe as possible for our operatives, our clients’ personnel and the general public.

So do we, still couldn't live without a Paddy though.

1m tubes are really easy to handle.

If you want to remove the hazard of a dropped tube then you have to secure all tubes with ropes etc until they are fixed in place.

---------- Post added at 04:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 PM ----------

1m tubes are really easy to handle.

But you would be creating the possibility of multiple dropped objects instead of one.
Why not just do away with scaffolding and working at height altogether.

nah, lash the wee spanner to make sure that doesn't fall but should be fine throwing 21's about.

---------- Post added at 04:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:31 PM ----------

If you want to remove the hazard of a dropped tube then you have to secure all tubes with ropes etc until they are fixed in place.

---------- Post added at 04:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 PM ----------

But you would be creating the possibility of multiple dropped objects instead of one.
Why not just do away with scaffolding and working at height altogether.

That's a magic idea, does that mean I can go golfing tomorrow?

nah, lash the wee spanner to make sure that doesn't fall but should be fine throwing 21's about.

---------- Post added at 04:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:31 PM ----------

That's a magic idea, does that mean I can go golfing tomorrow?

yes you can mate but when you are thrashing about making divots in the rough make sure you go deep because people will have to live in holes in the ground.

Could be my next new venture, Aom Caving Ltd.;)

Ffs keep ur own stupid ideas in house...not try to force them on everyone else...my m8 forrest gump would say stuis is as stupid does...

Just as an after thought i dont spose the fact that system materials arnt that long....so the next step will be to reduce the 5m tube down to that of lets say a cuplock or haki stds

But its hardly a radical idea. I can remember SGB talking about doing the same 20 years ago.

---------- Post added at 04:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 PM ----------

Dropping things is part of human nature. I even heard a story that aom dropped a poond once but never a glass of Old Jura.

Correct on both counts, the pound hit me on the back of the head.:cool:

Sgb may have talked about it but we'rnt stupid enough to actually do -then use the guize of being a nasc member to then enforce it....i know what i'm gonna say to the next 2day wonder that sez i gotta cut down all my long....mmm let me fink

Don't blame the NASC for that one SP, my yard is full of them.

Did the spigot really fail,or did the guy drop the long and blame it on the spigot,I have seen the long lean over towards Camden Town from Tower Bridge,but have never witnessed one come out.

Did the spigot really fail,or did the guy drop the long and blame it on the spigot,I have seen the long lean over towards Camden Town from Tower Bridge,but have never witnessed one come out.

Have it on good authority that he dropped it Lee, don't think he admitted it though.

---------- Post added at 05:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:50 PM ----------

I thought it was a very good idea when they decided to do that, they are also looking at implementing a double advanced guardrail to make their jobs even safer even though it ain't in the regs YET. As far as I'm concerned TRAD are at the forefront of safety at the moment and are pushing all sorts of different ideas to make their men safer. If you want anymore information you can follow their Play it Safe Campaign here TRAD Scaffolding - Behavioural Management Programme

Top out with sleeves instead of spigots and if some eejit wants you to top out at say, 1.7m with a paddy tell him to f@ck off and do it with a sixteen.
Hands Off Our 21's! :laugh:

If it aint broke don't fix it,if a scaffolder can't handle a 21ft tube safely then he should feck off and become a florist or a window dresser or sumsutch,on the upside we can all bin our wagons and join the pickup brigade:nuts:

Now now BF, it's all PC now, breaking barriers to employment and equal opportunities, some of the girls may not be able to lift a 21.;)

Top Bottom