Cranable Scaffolds ???

celtic

Reaction score
We have been presented with a design by the third party engineer doing all the temp works design on our project.

the scaffold has 8 tonne in it of dead load, all good up to this point!!

the drawing indicates that we put 2 x 21 ft steel ladder beams into the top of the scaffold as lifting points, no checks indicated and to crown it all off the drawing clearly states to hook the chains onto the top chord with no further stiffner in place between the chords:eek:

I am the only one that thinks this is daft??

Celtic

Maybe I Vill and maybe I Vont

But the engineer is a bit of an Ich Lieber **** !

sometimes an experianced scaff will dedect flaws within the desighn of a job, i know i have several times - the only advise i would give you is erect to the drwg but tell the main contractor your concerns if nothing is done about it ask to speak to the desighner, if you cant or still dont feel your getting anywhere then dont hand it over put a incomplete sighn on it and take a snap and ask for the desighner if he's still happy with it to hand it over instead - most main contractors will listen to the concerns of the scaffolder

I wouldn't be stood under that fuker when they lift it then.. beams mean nothing, its the double that will slip....

Celtic,

Definitely question it mate, after all, if you have to build it then you are only looking out for your interests if you suspect it to be incorrect.

It should have bracing at lifting points, it should also stipulate the type of strop to be used, whether you need a lifting beam etc. The joints will all have to be spliced as a minimum and you may have to do something about the baseplates.

Feel free to call our office if you want to run through it, I'm happy to have a chat with you - numbers on the website.

B.

Celtic,

Definitely question it mate, after all, if you have to build it then you are only looking out for your interests if you suspect it to be incorrect.

It should have bracing at lifting points, it should also stipulate the type of strop to be used, whether you need a lifting beam etc. The joints will all have to be spliced as a minimum and you may have to do something about the baseplates.

Feel free to call our office if you want to run through it, I'm happy to have a chat with you - numbers on the website.

B.

^^THIS.

Also, if the designer included a calc pack, send that along too. Something smells a bit fishy about all this.

Celtic

No matter what the engineer says, it's your scaffold and if your putting extra fittings as checks to prevent slippage, bracing to strengthen the beams being utilised as a lifting point, splicing the joints ( if tube or instal bolts in stds if using your Layher ) I would present this to the engineer and reason why from your experience in the game why you have.
As they say...It's your Duty of Care.

Double =6.3kn ( slip )
scaffold = 8 ton

some fukin designer that..lol...

Just get the mighty " BEN FLYNN" on the job he will carry it up a long ladder on his shoulder before breakfast ;)

---------- Post added at 06:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:24 PM ----------

you cant be wrong for putting more gear in it Celtic , at the end of the day if something goes wrong and someone gets hurt you gotta live with knowing you where not sure , cant you phone the designer and as him to confirm his Calcs for it , i would certainly make sure my name was not on it if i was not sure about it

Tell the designer to **** off and get his arse down to look at the job... before he kills some poor ****...

Just ask him how much a doubble can hold then ask him how much scaffold weight and ask were the fek he got a doubble can hold 80kn maby thinks if it on the scaffold by 12 or more doubbles it will be fine

BUILD THE LIFTING FRAME FOR THE SCAFFOLD TO TG20 AND THEY WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO LIFT THE FECKING THING :eek:

Don't stand underneath the thing when they lift it up and you'll be fine.

Yes just to reiterate, sounds dodgy. Be interested to see that one. Definitely question the designer.

Just ask him how much a doubble can hold then ask him how much scaffold weight and ask were the fek he got a doubble can hold 80kn maby thinks if it on the scaffold by 12 or more doubbles it will be fine

LOL.. he'd need that many checks, it would either sink in the ground or pull the fukin crane over...:nuts:

was a thread on here and for every check it reduced the load of the doubble by half for 2 check 3.15 totall of 9.45 3check its at 1.575kn so 11.025 and sure he said after 3 or 4 its pointless having any more checks on it but not sure it there are actually checks or called something eles so tecnically you can only lift from 1 standard 11.025 kn but thats with 3 checks and not the super doubbles on. i might be rong am sure it was axd.... that said this but dont quote me on it lol

i can only presume that the designer has worked out the drawing along with the information from the rigging super.you could have a word with him(rigging super) regarding your concerns.
i dont think the designer would mind if you beefed it up accordingly,although i would get him to ammend the drawing.;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom