Cpc

Its only for people that drive for a living ie: coach drivers, lorry drivers i wont be doing it unless VOSA insist on it. Only thing that might make me think about it is if your insurance would be reduced but i have as yet never known insurance to go down for any reason

Well boys despite my protestation it now looks like we will be doing this guff after all. I have taken advise from a local guy who we go for to advise us on anything related to transport and to be honest has never sold us a dummy yet. He tells me that if your carrying gear and anyone else erects it you will need it, if you were working for yourself and drove the truck, erected the gear on your own then you might not need it but if you want help even if you want to carry a passenger in the truck with you we are all going to need this. Not what I wanted to hear but another thing to pay out, no wonder the wages are getting lower.:suspicious:

Does your "local guy" have a vested interest in promoting the driver CPC as he is involved in providing the training in some way or could he perhaps be covering his ar5e? After all it is not HIS money that will pay for the training is it?

It might be a grey area for some folks but think of your situation. Is it the case that you drive the truck to the site with the "gear" and possibly a passenger or two, the truck is unloaded (whether you help or not) and then sit in your cab for most of the day? If so, then your main activity would be driver and in that case driver CPC would be required. If on the other hand you help with erecting and your employment with the company IS as a scaffolder and not a driver, then I don't think you will need it.

However, doing it is not going to do your CV any harm should you wish to join an industry where you are expected to sleep in your vehicle, see less of your family and be subject to everyone else's working patterns and for less money.

It may be possible for one of the other boy who drives the 7.5 ton truck to argue the point but the quote they use on me is "Ultimately it will be up to a judge to decide if you qualify for exemption or nor." If you are sailing that close to the wind it's maybe time to just do the training no matter how pathetic.

---------- Post added at 04:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 PM ----------

Does your "local guy" have a vested interest in promoting the driver CPC as he is involved in providing the training in some way or could he perhaps be covering his ar5e? After all it is not HIS money that will pay for the training is it?

It might be a grey area for some folks but think of your situation. Is it the case that you drive the truck to the site with the "gear" and possibly a passenger or two, the truck is unloaded (whether you help or not) and then sit in your cab for most of the day? If so, then your main activity would be driver and in that case driver CPC would be required. If on the other hand you help with erecting and your employment with the company IS as a scaffolder and not a driver, then I don't think you will need it.

However, doing it is not going to do your CV any harm should you wish to join an industry where you are expected to sleep in your vehicle, see less of your family and be subject to everyone else's working patterns and for less money.

Trevor, I can assure you this guy has no vested interest other than to help an inexperienced operator try and stay on the right side of the law. He ran his own haulage firm for years and now works as a transport manager for one of our bigger clients and has been a source of great help even got our hgv licence paid for by following his advise. I have one driver who drives, erects then goes home, I on the other hand sometimes do the same and sometimes work a job ahead of the squads delivering and picking up gear. This guy's advise has been sound and he has helped me loads of times and to be honest I can see no reason to doubt him now.

Top Bottom